Inlaw with anti-sikh opinions

Guest guest

How do you handle family, mostly in laws, who tend to make indirect comments, which seem to be anti-sikh or anti-religions. I sometimes would post a topic regarding Sikh issue, on social media to create further public awareness. Recently I had shared a topic regarding Guru Granth Sahib Ji's disrespect and hoped to enlighten my non sikh friends regarding this very hurtful issue. However, soon after, this family member starts another topic, which undervalues this posted issue and indirectly focuses on beliefs of atheism instead. Soon I see lots of comments pretty much criticizing sikhs and minimizing the raised issue. 

Of course, social media is for everyone to voice their opinion. But it's sad and hurtful that this close family member would create this 'passive battleship' on social media. I would rather have them discuss this with me in person. But they rarely communicate in person but seem so ready to create counter arguments in public/social media. Why would someone do that? Does anyone else experiences it?

You get to choose your friends, however you are stuck with your relatives. The worst wishes and the worst ideas and interference comes from relatives. There may be underlying issues of jealousy - perhaps even inadequacy on the part of the offending party. I have a sister in law who opposed every word that came out of my mouth. It can get a bit stressful as it winds you up having someone behave like that. 

Whilst everyone has the right to voice their opinion, it is important to try to understand what the other person is putting forward too. Perhaps what you tried to put forward did not come out clearly enough. Perhaps it was a totally new opinion to your group of people. However if you want a message to sink in, (and you think that it is important that they listen to it and change their mental attitude) then you need to keep repeating it and countering the resistance. 

New ideas and idealogies take time to sink in. The recipients need to think about and absorb it before they can totally agree with you. Their response just shows their present mental attitude towards your message.... it just has not sunk in. 

Perhaps you may like to share with us what particular issue it was that the other party put across. Perhaps if you are reaching out to non-sikh friends, then you need to sent out a generalised message i.e respect for all types of scriptures including the Bible, koran and Gita too. How would they react if someone disrespected their holy books. Then go on to highlight the way we respect our SGGS. Then go on to highlight how people showed disrespect. 

there is this handy button on FB it is called the mute button, operate it . Instant quiet ...Honestly My inlaws question everything we as a family do , say and think there are two paths  1. cave in and become like them and lose out on the valuable gift of naam, bhagti and life

2. Believe that you are SIkh because Akal Purakh doesn't make mistakes, and ignore their ignorant behaviour and carry on 

13 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

there is this handy button on FB it is called the mute button, operate it . Instant quiet ...Honestly My inlaws question everything we as a family do , say and think there are two paths  1. cave in and become like them and lose out on the valuable gift of naam, bhagti and life

2. Believe that you are SIkh because Akal Purakh doesn't make mistakes, and ignore their ignorant behaviour and carry on 

Good idea penji, you can also choose who can see your posts as another option. 

Guest Jacfsing2
5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

How do you handle family, mostly in laws, who tend to make indirect comments, which seem to be anti-sikh or anti-religions. I sometimes would post a topic regarding Sikh issue, on social media to create further public awareness. Recently I had shared a topic regarding Guru Granth Sahib Ji's disrespect and hoped to enlighten my non sikh friends regarding this very hurtful issue. However, soon after, this family member starts another topic, which undervalues this posted issue and indirectly focuses on beliefs of atheism instead. Soon I see lots of comments pretty much criticizing sikhs and minimizing the raised issue. 

Of course, social media is for everyone to voice their opinion. But it's sad and hurtful that this close family member would create this 'passive battleship' on social media. I would rather have them discuss this with me in person. But they rarely communicate in person but seem so ready to create counter arguments in public/social media. Why would someone do that? Does anyone else experiences it?

Just avoid social media uses for the most part will help you, (do people still talk in person anymore?) You have a better chance of explaining concept with your own unique views and methods than clicking that "share" button. Daas's extended family are very much atheistic, (culturally Sikh), so what are you supposed to do waste all your time and energy on explaining Sikhi to them, or open-up to those who aren't your relatives? (If they aren't interested, they'll never learn from your mouth, but may be another person).

Great. Thank you all!! I appreciate all the supportive and insightful comments. I guess I needed to vent out and be heard by like-minded people. Glad to have this support group!