Guest why

why dasam granth bani is not included in guru granth sahib

13 posts in this topic

hey

yeah i was just wondering why is the bani of dasam granth not included in the guru granth sahib? why did guru ji not add his bani into guru granth sahib ji.

im not one of those anti dasam granth people lol! i read jaap sahib. its just that some anti dasam granth person asked me this question and i didnt know what to say!

i said guru ji gave gur gaddi to guru granth sahib ji because it contains the jyoth of guru nanak dev ji and the 4 gurus that followed him. but then he was like why didnt guru gobind singh include his bani in guru granth sahib. i didnt know what to say!   i was thinking that the reason might be because dasam granth was like several books? in different parts of india? and then it was collected by bhai mani singh and compiled into one. or that some of the bani is dasam granth is for bir rass while that is not the purpose of guru granth sahib ji?

I too would like someone to shed light on why Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's bani is separate from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

deep and profound humility of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj Sacche Patshah, Who do not want to equate His Bani with Bani of other Guru Sahibans!

2 people like this

Good question 

When missionaries try to use this point I say to them then you must use the same logic for Guru Tegh Bahadur jee's bani because Guru Tegh Bahadur jee also did not include His Bani in Guru Granth Sahib ji. It was Guru Gobind Singh ji who added the Bani of Guru Tegh Bahadur jee many years later at Sri Damdama Sahib.

Real reason why Guru Gobind Singh ji did not include His Bani in Guru Granth Sahib ji is known only to Him. It is Guru Sahib's leela. We can only guess.

Edited by Jonny101
2 people like this

Is it not true that Guru Arjun Dev ji left  the exact number of angs blank in Adi Granth and when questioned he replied this was for Naunvin Patshah di bani , and when researchers compared the number of angs total of Guru Gobind Singh ji's dictated Bir and the blank plus written angs of Ad Granth they were exactly the same ?  So  punjva Nanak said exactly whose bani was yet to be added by name and by exact space ...tenth Nanak would have been named also  since Guru is jaani jaan

1 person likes this

On 07/09/2016 at 1:05 AM, jkvlondon said:

Is it not true that Guru Arjun Dev ji left  the exact number of angs blank in Adi Granth and when questioned he replied this was for Naunvin Patshah di bani , and when researchers compared the number of angs total of Guru Gobind Singh ji's dictated Bir and the blank plus written angs of Ad Granth they were exactly the same ?  So  punjva Nanak said exactly whose bani was yet to be added by name and by exact space ...tenth Nanak would have been named also  since Guru is jaani jaan

Yes the exact number of pages left was exactly the right amount for 9th Master's bani to be added but i heard that (think I saw some writings) where it was stated that Akaal Purkh told Guru Gobind Singh Ji not to add Dasam bani into Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I think it went along the lines of Dasam, Had a quick search and found this

ਸੁਣੋ ਭਾਈ ਸਿਖੋ । ਐਸਾ ਸੰਤ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਜਾਨੋ । ਦਸੇ ਮਹਲ ਇਕ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਪਛਾਨੋ । 
Listen Sikh Brothers! Recognize Baba Nanak as a true Saint, this is truth. In the ten forms [10 Guru's], recognize Baba Nanak in all of them.
ਦਸਵਾਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਗੱਦੀ ਗੁਰਿਆਈ ਦੀ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੂੰ ਦੇ ਹੈ ਗਿਆ । 
The tenth King has given the Guruship to the Granth Sahib.

ਬਿਨਾਂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ ਨ ਜਾਣੇ, ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੈਨਿ ਦੁਇ ਸਕੇ ਭਾਈ । 
Without the Granth there is nothing else, the Granth Sahib has it's form in two brothers.
ਇਕ ਹੈ ਵਡਾ ਇਕ ਛੋਟਾ ਕਹਾਈ ।੨੬੫। 
[Recognize] One as larger [brother, which is Adi Granth] and one as smaller [brother, Dasam Granth].
ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸੋਲ੍ਹਾ ਸੈ ਅਠਵੰਜਾ ਸੇ ਗਏ । ਤਬ ਆਦਿ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਜਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਲਏ । 
In 1658 Bikrami the Adi Granth took birth [was created].
ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨ ਜੀ ਕੇ ਧਾਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਧਾਰਾ । 
In the house of Guru Arjan Dev Ji the Granth Sahib took its birth.

ਦਾਇਆ ਸੀ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ, ਲਿਖਾਰੀ ਖਿਡਾਵਣਹਾਰਾ ।੨੬੬। 
Bhai Gurdas, with the blessings [of Guru Arjan], was the scribe.
ਛੋਟਾ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਜੀ, ਜਨਮੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਕੇ ਧਾਮ । 
The smaller [brother] Granth, took birth in the Tenth King's house.
ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੈ ਪਚਵੰਜਾ, ਬਹੁਤ ਖਿਡਾਵੇ-ਲਿਖਾਰੇ ਨਾਮ । 
In 1755 Bikrami [it was born], [Guru Ji wrote it] under many names [Das Gobind, Syaam, Ram, Kaal etc].

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੂੰ ਸੀ ਪਿਆਰਾ । ਹੱਥੀ ਲਿਖਿਆ, ਖਿਡਾਇਆ । 
[Guru Gobind Singh] Sahib had much love for this scripture, He himself hand wrote it.
ਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੀਤੀ ਅਰਦਾਸੁ, ਜੀ ਅਗਲੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਚਾਹੀਏ ਰਲਾਇਆ ।੨੬੭। 
Sikhs did a plea [towards Guru Gobind Singh] to merge Adi Granth with Dasam Granth.
ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ, "ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੈ ਉਹੁ, ਏਹ ਅਸਾਡੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਡ ।" 
[Guru Gobind Singh Ji] said, "Granth Sahib is the Adi, and [Dasam Grath] is my play."
ਨਾਲ ਨ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਆਹਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ, ਕਉਨ ਜਾਣੇ ਭੇਦ । 
The wonderous beloved Guru Gobind Singh did not merge them together, who can understand this secret of Guru Sahib? [of why they were kept separate]

ਸੋ, ਦੋਨੋ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਕਰ ਜਾਨੋ । 
So, recognize both Granth Sahib's as Guru and brothers. 

ਵਡਾ ਹੈ ਟਿਕਾ ਗੁਰੂ, ਗੁਟਕੇ-ਪੋਥੀਆਂ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਪੋਤ੍ਰੇ ਕਰਿ ਪਛਾਨੋ ।੨੬੮। 
The larger [Adi Granth] received the Tika [Guruship], the smaller gutka-pothian recognize them as sons and grandson. 

--------------------------------------------------- 
On page 161 Kesar Singh explains another incident where a Sikh requested to Guru Gobind Singh to put Adi and Dasam Granth together. 
--------------------------------------------------

ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੈ ਪਚਵੰਜੇ, ਸਿਖਾਂ ਬਿਨਤੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਗੇ ਸੀ ਕੀਤੀ । In 1755 Bikrami, Sikhs had done a plea in front of Sahib [Guru Gobind Singh].
"ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜ ! ਜੋ ਬਚਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਦੋਹਾਂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਾਂ ਦੀ ਜਿਲਦ ਇਕ ਚਹੀਐ ਕਰਿ ਲੀਤੀ ।" 
"Oh protector of the poor!, If you make the commandment, we shall put both Granths in one cover [one Granth]."

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ: "ਆਦਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ । ਇਹ ਅਸਾਡੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਡ, ਜੁਦਾ ਰਹੇ ਮਨ ਮੰਥ ।" 
Sahib [Guru Gobind Singh] said, "Adi Granth is Guru, this [Dasam Granth] is my play, they should remain separate, but recognize them as the same light"
---------------------------------------------

This is from a book written 61 years after Guru Sahib's passing.

1 person likes this

thats guys   really useful answers and great link. its important to know answers behind these questions so you can answer when ever your questioned :)

On 9/9/2016 at 10:57 AM, Thanatos said:

Yes the exact number of pages left was exactly the right amount for 9th Master's bani to be added but i heard that (think I saw some writings) where it was stated that Akaal Purkh told Guru Gobind Singh Ji not to add Dasam bani into Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I think it went along the lines of Dasam, Had a quick search and found this

Hide contents

ਸੁਣੋ ਭਾਈ ਸਿਖੋ । ਐਸਾ ਸੰਤ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਜਾਨੋ । ਦਸੇ ਮਹਲ ਇਕ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਪਛਾਨੋ । 
Listen Sikh Brothers! Recognize Baba Nanak as a true Saint, this is truth. In the ten forms [10 Guru's], recognize Baba Nanak in all of them.
ਦਸਵਾਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਗੱਦੀ ਗੁਰਿਆਈ ਦੀ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੂੰ ਦੇ ਹੈ ਗਿਆ । 
The tenth King has given the Guruship to the Granth Sahib.

ਬਿਨਾਂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ ਨ ਜਾਣੇ, ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੈਨਿ ਦੁਇ ਸਕੇ ਭਾਈ । 
Without the Granth there is nothing else, the Granth Sahib has it's form in two brothers.
ਇਕ ਹੈ ਵਡਾ ਇਕ ਛੋਟਾ ਕਹਾਈ ।੨੬੫। 
[Recognize] One as larger [brother, which is Adi Granth] and one as smaller [brother, Dasam Granth].
ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸੋਲ੍ਹਾ ਸੈ ਅਠਵੰਜਾ ਸੇ ਗਏ । ਤਬ ਆਦਿ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਜਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਲਏ । 
In 1658 Bikrami the Adi Granth took birth [was created].
ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨ ਜੀ ਕੇ ਧਾਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਧਾਰਾ । 
In the house of Guru Arjan Dev Ji the Granth Sahib took its birth.

ਦਾਇਆ ਸੀ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ, ਲਿਖਾਰੀ ਖਿਡਾਵਣਹਾਰਾ ।੨੬੬। 
Bhai Gurdas, with the blessings [of Guru Arjan], was the scribe.
ਛੋਟਾ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਜੀ, ਜਨਮੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਕੇ ਧਾਮ । 
The smaller [brother] Granth, took birth in the Tenth King's house.
ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੈ ਪਚਵੰਜਾ, ਬਹੁਤ ਖਿਡਾਵੇ-ਲਿਖਾਰੇ ਨਾਮ । 
In 1755 Bikrami [it was born], [Guru Ji wrote it] under many names [Das Gobind, Syaam, Ram, Kaal etc].

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੂੰ ਸੀ ਪਿਆਰਾ । ਹੱਥੀ ਲਿਖਿਆ, ਖਿਡਾਇਆ । 
[Guru Gobind Singh] Sahib had much love for this scripture, He himself hand wrote it.
ਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੀਤੀ ਅਰਦਾਸੁ, ਜੀ ਅਗਲੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਚਾਹੀਏ ਰਲਾਇਆ ।੨੬੭। 
Sikhs did a plea [towards Guru Gobind Singh] to merge Adi Granth with Dasam Granth.
ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ, "ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਹੈ ਉਹੁ, ਏਹ ਅਸਾਡੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਡ ।" 
[Guru Gobind Singh Ji] said, "Granth Sahib is the Adi, and [Dasam Grath] is my play."
ਨਾਲ ਨ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਆਹਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ, ਕਉਨ ਜਾਣੇ ਭੇਦ । 
The wonderous beloved Guru Gobind Singh did not merge them together, who can understand this secret of Guru Sahib? [of why they were kept separate]

ਸੋ, ਦੋਨੋ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਕਰ ਜਾਨੋ । 
So, recognize both Granth Sahib's as Guru and brothers. 

ਵਡਾ ਹੈ ਟਿਕਾ ਗੁਰੂ, ਗੁਟਕੇ-ਪੋਥੀਆਂ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਪੋਤ੍ਰੇ ਕਰਿ ਪਛਾਨੋ ।੨੬੮। 
The larger [Adi Granth] received the Tika [Guruship], the smaller gutka-pothian recognize them as sons and grandson. 

--------------------------------------------------- 
On page 161 Kesar Singh explains another incident where a Sikh requested to Guru Gobind Singh to put Adi and Dasam Granth together. 
--------------------------------------------------

ਸੰਮਤੁ ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸੈ ਪਚਵੰਜੇ, ਸਿਖਾਂ ਬਿਨਤੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਗੇ ਸੀ ਕੀਤੀ । In 1755 Bikrami, Sikhs had done a plea in front of Sahib [Guru Gobind Singh].
"ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜ ! ਜੋ ਬਚਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਦੋਹਾਂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਾਂ ਦੀ ਜਿਲਦ ਇਕ ਚਹੀਐ ਕਰਿ ਲੀਤੀ ।" 
"Oh protector of the poor!, If you make the commandment, we shall put both Granths in one cover [one Granth]."

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਬਚਨ ਕੀਤਾ: "ਆਦਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ । ਇਹ ਅਸਾਡੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਡ, ਜੁਦਾ ਰਹੇ ਮਨ ਮੰਥ ।" 
Sahib [Guru Gobind Singh] said, "Adi Granth is Guru, this [Dasam Granth] is my play, they should remain separate, but recognize them as the same light"
---------------------------------------------

This is from a book written 61 years after Guru Sahib's passing.

Did people not know about Sarbloh Granth back then? (It seems to be completely ignored except by Taksal and Nihangs?)

3 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Did people not know about Sarbloh Granth back then? (It seems to be completely ignored except by Taksal and Nihangs?)

This wasn't from Sarbloh Granth if I remember correctly, it was from a book written 70 years or so after Guru Gobind Singh Ji left for Sach Khand.

1 person likes this

On 9/5/2016 at 0:54 PM, Guest why said:

hey

yeah i was just wondering why is the bani of dasam granth not included in the guru granth sahib? why did guru ji not add his bani into guru granth sahib ji.

im not one of those anti dasam granth people lol! i read jaap sahib. its just that some anti dasam granth person asked me this question and i didnt know what to say!

i said guru ji gave gur gaddi to guru granth sahib ji because it contains the jyoth of guru nanak dev ji and the 4 gurus that followed him. but then he was like why didnt guru gobind singh include his bani in guru granth sahib. i didnt know what to say!   i was thinking that the reason might be because dasam granth was like several books? in different parts of india? and then it was collected by bhai mani singh and compiled into one. or that some of the bani is dasam granth is for bir rass while that is not the purpose of guru granth sahib ji?

The dasam granth bani is not with the guru granth sahib ji because of the content in it. Guru maharaaj is all about the attainment of the peace of mind while dasam granth is bir ras which is a warrior state.  If dasam bani was in guru sahib then we will be getting shanti and then bir ras which will stop us from getting true bliss. We will not be balancing the banis. Of course this is my guess. Only guru maharaaj knows the truth. Wjkk wjkf

1 person likes this

On 4/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, Guest Chota Daas said:

Only guru maharaaj knows the truth. 

This is the answer. In the same way only Vaheguru knows his own limits.

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• Guru Nanak Dev Ji WAS  Waheguru as there is no difference between God and his servants. The reason Guru Nanak Dev Ji never said it out loud was because the last time people started down that path it ended with their teachings being distorted and warped. If that doesn't convince you then just read Gurbani  ਜੋਤਿ ਰੂਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਆਪਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਹਾਯਉ ॥ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ <- that literally says that the Guru and the Lord are one. Why do you think Gurbani is full of that same message, again and again and again. Fun fact that was written by Guru Arjun Dev Ji, Do you want a translation of it too? Know that the Guru and the Transcendent Lord are One.  Sukhamani Sahib has an entire Astpadhi dedicated to brahmgyanis (the beings aware of God and enlightened) and Guru Sahib flat out says they're God.  Water has in its 3 forms is given different names but at the end of the day it's always going to be H2O. God has limitless forms, but he exists in Sargun and Nirgun forms as well. Nirgun is the original form but Sargun is also God but God with characteristics and attribution. Humans are unable to comprehend anything unless they see it so God entered the world as Guru Nanak Dev Ji.  You're free to quote any Sant or Mahapurkh and they will say that exact thing. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was God.  This concept is ingrained within Gurmukhi itself, Feel free to quote any text written from the time of the Gurus to about 100 years after and its all there. You're telling other people to take the SGGSJ as a whole but you're unsure about the highlighted verse. Are you sure you're a Sikh? So are the banis by the other authors less important? Guru Arjun Dev Ji complied the Adi Bir and he included it all within it. Including the verses calling the Gurus God. He put it in there as it's the truth. Will you now say that you suddenly knew better than him? the stale argument that because Guru Sahib never said it outright so it's not true is truly grasping for straws. Bhai Gurdas Ji flat out calls Guru Nanak Dev Ji God, so is he wrong? the "random person's book" you refused to read is a noted brahmgyani, Gurbani as a whole says Guru=God.  Ask yourself this, Guru Nanak Dev Ji was the most humble being that ever walked the Earth. He wouldn't utter a statement such as that, no humble person would.     Makes me think as I was in the same boat as this user about 2ish years ago. Thank god I snapped out of it.
    • I just posted explicit lines and you keep rambling that I can't post any, do you not believe every line from Gurbani is the same? Are you autistic or something? "ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ 
      वाहु वाहु बाणी निरंकार है तिसु जेवडु अवरु न कोइ ॥ 
      vāhu vāhu baṇī nirankār hai ṯis jevad avar na ko▫e. 
      Waaho! Waaho! is the Bani, the Word, of the Formless Lord. There is no other as great as He is. " (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang 515), this was written by Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Amar Das Ji and even still if you are going to play dumb, this is my last response to you to on this site.
    • Correct interruption and context is the key. Anyone can quote lines of gurbani to fit in with their narrative or agenda but taking the whole SGGS ji in context and verses of gurbani in correct understanding will make you realise what is being said. Guru's true role in liberating people is teaching them about God and how to get to God ie  their role is being a spiritual teacher and you being the student (sikh) is to learn how to get there. Guru is not God nor did any of them claim they was God. Lets stop going around in circles and agree that this is fact because I know you wouldn't be able to produce a verse anywhere that states that a Guru in gurbani says he is God.
    • I don't understand I thought you said they were on Instagram?... 
    • I noticed there's alot of racist violent blacks around in the UK that been targeting innocent asian citizens for decades now.  Alot of the  have this chip on their shoulder thinking the world owes them a living or a racist mentality thinking asians are weak, easy to bully and will take and tolerant any disrespect shown to them without any physical readdress.