Guru ji not wanting shrine built in his name

Guest Ydni

So we've all heard the story of how guru gobind singh ji says how does not want a shrine built in his name and that if anyone does build one their family line will end. As we all maharaja ranjit singh built takht hazur sahib and as we know his family line ended.

Is it true guru ji said this? Is there any source to this? Or if any old sikh has recorded this saying anywhere? or any old account of this saying? ...

It is said the Maharaja Ranjit Singh knew of Guru Jis bachan and in all humility said that if my bloodline ceases then so be it but we must build a gurdawara where Guru Ji ascended to satch khand.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jacfsing2
5 hours ago, Preeet said:

I also have a question, do you think it was a sin to not listen to Sri Guru Sahib ji's vaak?

Guru Sahib has always tested his Sikhs, "Jo Hum Ko Parmeshwar Uchar Hai Tay Sabh Narak Kund Mah Par Hai", "Those who address me as God Shall fall into the pit of hell.", Guru Sahib is Vaheguru; however, he didn't want people to refer to himself as Vaheguru, in the same way someone can build things in honor of Guru Sahib, but still have to be tested. (Ranjit Singh losing his dynasty and rule over Punjab, for Satkar of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji). Nankana Sahib was heavily renovated in the 1800's, from it's olden age made in the 1600s.

Guest Jacfsing2
On 9/13/2016 at 1:07 AM, Preeet said:

Yes I agree Singh ji.. but to an extent. I don't think our Sri Guru Sahib ji would test us since they are already all knowing. I feel like those mahavaaks are serious.

Bhai Manjh was tested a lot, Baba Buddha was also tested.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:24 PM, Guest Ydni said:

So we've all heard the story of how guru gobind singh ji says how does not want a shrine built in his name and that if anyone does build one their family line will end. As we all maharaja ranjit singh built takht hazur sahib and as we know his family line ended.

Is it true guru ji said this? Is there any source to this? Or if any old sikh has recorded this saying anywhere? or any old account of this saying? ...

We need to understand context of this bachan. Guru maharaj ji is never against anyone sharda and pyaar so its not fully condemned or seen as manmat (black and white). So with that kept in mind, guru maharaj is also giving cautionary updesh to his sikhs, dont caught up in condtioned cycle on form, dont fixate  your surti(consciouness) on anything which has form - sargun even subtle form of sargun- akhri shabad, shabad dhun - all expereince will appear and disappear- appear again so its transient- Only permanent form of Satguru/shabad gian(eternal awareness) under all this drama is played endures- gyan saroop of shabad. Surrender yourself let satguru consume you over and over again. Abide in satguru inside all of us- unconditioned natural being and be that:

• ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਨਾ ਆਵੈ ਨਾ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਓਹੁ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੧੩॥: Satiguru meraa sadaa sadaa n aavai n jaai. Ohu abinaasee purakhu hai sabh mahi rahiaa samaai ||13||: My Satguru is Everlasting (Immortal, etc.); He neither comes nor goes (i.e., beyond birth and death). He Himself is the Imperishable Being (Eternal, Parmeshar, Parmaatam, Prabh, Mool, Jot, etc.) who, pervades among all ||13|| (sggs 759).