Authentic/Original Kirpan

I'm trying to find some authentic information regarding the original kirpan.

Along with other artifacts, the Kirpan allegedly belonging the Guru (handed over by Nabha royal family after court battle), has recently (2015) been on display in Anandpur Sahib and on specially organised tour. The kirpan is short and there are longer swords and other artefacts- see this link. The Kirpan itself has a sharp straight edge. It is not curved (photo below, top left). The sheaths on all artifacts are made of leather perhaps with some wood on the larger ones and are straight in shape (no end hook). Given the design of the leather sheath, the manner in which it would be held by a gatra would be very different as there is no holding edge. The gatra would have had to be secured to the leather sheath somehow- perhaps the original gatra was also different to what is known today. Leather is used to keep the edge sharp, so the kirpan would have been very much functional with a cutting edge. The longer sword sheaths, consistent with sword designs from the era, have hooks on them for mounting to a leather horse saddle. If someone has high quality photos of these can they please share them.

They look very different to the bog standard modern (20th century) style of kirpan, which resembles an arab knife, complete with sharp curve in the metal/wood decorative sheath. This modern design has always struck me as odd and inauthentic. The recently revealed artefacts are more in line with what has appeared to me in spiritual visualisation, but there are certain missing features, which presumably could have been lost over time.

Who invented the modern style of Kirpan? How many other examples exist of authentic early kirpans, sheaths and gatras (with documented provenance)?

Presumably the presentation of the Guru's short kirpan sets aside the belief that the original kirpan was "full length" and only shortened in length in the 19th century.

Sri_Guru_Gobind_Singh_Ji_Dia_Nishanian_1

kirpaaan.jpg

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji fateh

Thank you so much for sharing Baba Deep Singh's kirpan. It indeed appears to be similar.

The modern kirpan looks more like a decorative arab knife (especially given the sheath with sharp end curve), whereas it seems the original kirpan was sharp, functional and the leather sheath functional also with space for kanga built in. When I see this original kirpan, I can feel a very unusual sensation in my body and it almost blinds my eyes with a flash of bright light (only way to explain the sensation), with a combination of awe and raw power.

I am going to try and remake the original kirpan by my own hands. It would be very helpful to find some more high quality images. I will try also to visit Anandpur Sahib to see the Guru's kirpan.

16 minutes ago, weareallone said:

PS, do you know where Baba Deep Singh's kirpan and other artifacts are stored/on display?

At Sri akaal takhat sahib. They also have baba deep singh's chakars there.

6 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

At Sri akaal takhat sahib. They also have baba deep singh's chakars there.

Thank you brother Singh. They seem to have quite a collection of kirpans, going back to Guru Hargobind, I will have to go there.

Why does the modern kirpan resemble an arab knife (especially given the sheath), when these historical examples are available?

1 hour ago, weareallone said:

Why does the modern kirpan resemble an arab knife (especially given the sheath), when these historical examples are available?

I think it has something to do with the british 

2 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

I think it has something to do with the british 

Any definitive information on this? And why hasn't it been reverted back to what it should be, after all the British are long gone. Even the Nihangs and the 20/21st century Sikh preachers and leaders are wearing the modern style. It is only the arab knife which has this end kink in the sheath. It is clear that Guru Gobind Singh Jis kirpan is straight, sharp, very narrow handle and sheath is leather with space for kanga, and what could be attachment for securing mala and other such items.