Why So Many People Misinterpret Gurbani To Suit Their Own Needs?

Guest Jacfsing2

Scriptures describe us what was Wahiguru prior to this His manifestation.

They tell us that, that Primal Supreme Being was absorbed in itself in His Shabad/Nam swaroop.

Which school or university did Wahiguru go, to have the gyan/budh He has?

Whatever He has and is, He got it from Naam. He is Naam, just to simplify.

That is why there is aparampaar mahima of Naam in the Bani. Apart from the infinite gyan in Naam, it is also the true source of Truth - Sach, and Bliss-Anand.

Moreover the Bani in Asaa dee Vaar says:

Aapeennay Aap sajeeo, Aapeenay racheeyo Nao.

He Himself created Himself; He Himself assumed His Name.

And Wahiguru has no avarice to keep all this exclusively for himself, rather all benelovence and mercy; He says, come and dye in my Name, and I shall make you as My own self, not less, but same as like Me.

You see with the gods, devis devtas, with our shub karam, at most, we reach their abode, enjoy a certain time there, and when our credit is finished, we fall into the chaurasee again. Thus we never become one with any one of them.

But with our beloved Wahiguru that never happens, we as a drop, turn into the Infinite Ocean, Satnaam,

We have nothing to loose, but gain, in becoming Him.

That is His Beant wadeeayee.

Sat Sree Akal.

Pardesanbibbi jee

Amazing!!

I agree, it is true.

Gurbani is the most amazing, the most wonderful sikhshaa or gyan, given to us, by our beloved Guru Sahibans and Bhagat Jan.

I try to follow the Gurbaani, but don't understand everything.

Pen jee, there is not much to understand first.

in the worldly gyan, we first learn and understand, in order to do something later.

In ruhaniyat as per Gurmat, we first have to do something, in order, to, later understand and know. It is the opposite side to the world.

Gurbani is very very simple, it is more of doing, then trying to understand.

As correct understanding comes with purity, the more purer we become with His bhakti, the more and more we enjoy and understand Gurbani.

Then nobody needs to tells us anything, Wahiguru Himself discloses the real Gyan to us, which means, He gives us His Drashan, and our divya drishtee is opened, and everything lies before us as an open book.

Nothing is hidden from us.

And when you say, you do not understand everything, do not worry, we all in the same boat.

Having said that, that much i will surely tell you also, keep it in mind at all times:

Ekas bin sabh dandh hae.

Without one Wahiguru, everything else is false...like gyan, dhyan, budh. It is all maya in the end, only He is eternal, and changeless one Truth, Satnam.

So if one takes shelter at His lotus feet, then no matter, if we donkeys spiritual wise, or let us say, a rusted piece of iron, even then by the glance of His Daya Meher, He makes us one with Him.

You see, nowhere even a father, a god, can make anyone one with them, but He, Wahiguru Akal Purukh, is so merciful, and all goodness, He merges our surtee in Him.

is not that marvelous?

Pen Jee, that is why in the Gurbani, if we ever have to understand, it is:

Jap maan, Satnam, sadaa Satnam

Nit dheeayeeh, Purakh Niranjana.

Sat Sree Akal.

I wish I could do some bakti too. I think I have a fairly good relationship with G0d 'cos I always feel he is with me, always, doesn't matter where I go. I feel his presence but I can't see him, I know he is there with me though. I know he can hear everything I say and also knows how I feel. My question is, how long do I have to do bakti before I merge with him? Do you know?

Depends on the person and God. Just start with a pure heart and it wont take long.

I wish I could do some bakti too.

My question is, how long do I have to do bakti before I merge with him?

Do you know?

Sister,

your sincere desire to see Sachay Patshah Wahiguru, is nothing much from your side, but a pull from Him.

And when He pulls someone in that way with His love, one can not resist, and feels attracted to Him.

Whether one wishes to do bhakti or not, it does not matter, there is no alternative to Bhakti, neither any short cut or substitue path, for cleaning ourselves, and in merging in Him.

People according to their maanmat, do a lot of other things as substitues or replacement of bhakti, but, what do these poor people know lured by Maya and agyanta, that sadly in the end they have wasted their lives..... but then too, what can one do, if it is not written on one´s forehead to do that His real bhakti.

Who can go against His Hukum?

Do not get me wrong, not that He is being partial with some, it is all due to our own karam, since so many births.

Those who have evolved to an extent spiritually, and have less weight of karam on their heads, are receptive to His Grace, and do the right bhakti, to get united with Him.

His Grace is the same for all, without any distinction, it depends on how thick or thin are the layers of our karam / sins upon us, which, as said before, bring us closer to Him through His Grace, the remaining, still have to become better human beings, pay of their heavy karmas, get lighter and thus feel His grace and get benefitted from it.

For example, there are some pieces of iron near a magnet at a same distance, they are all equally pulled by the magnet, but only, those with almost no rust , or less rust, shall get attracted first, the remaining, will have to wait until their rust get lessened with their own better karam; of course in the end, they too, will get attracted, but only later on.

That is why, doing bhakti is important, but it is equally important, to be truthful, be a good human being first with moral life, in order not to collect more rust on us.

About your desire to see Him, and not seeing yet; for that, do not expect to see with your physical eyes, but as Second Patshahee said:

Akhaa bajoh vekhna, bin kanna sun na, paira bajoh chalna, bin hatha karna, jeeba bajoh bolna eyon jeevat marna ...

You see Guru jee is telling usthat, we have to see Him without these physical eyes, we have to hear Him, without these ears, we have to go there without these feet, we have to do His bhakti without our hands, but with our surtee, we have to repeat His Naam, not with the tongue, but within the mind...he who lives in this world like that, is dead for the world, but very much alive, for that jeev atma, has attached himself/herself, with His Lotus Feet, and will get freed from the Chaurasee ka Chakar, from births and deaths, thus become eternal within Wahiguru.

Sat Sree Akal.

Sister,

whatever I write is my sincere and personal point of view, at the best of my ability, it is no hard and fast rule, some may agree or disagree with it, and differ,but then, always see neutrally, if there is any sense or logic in what is being said, as that very rule I apply to myself, and it has helped me in many a times

I thank you for answering my questions.

No thanks Pen Jee, it is all His Grace, we are all here to learn and help each other as human beings.

I have two more questions now:

1. How does one define His Hukam and what is it anyway?

Uuuuff, it is so difficult to define His Hukum ...but let us see.

His Hukum, mostly should not be taken literally as orders, but as His will.

His will is highest, which absolutely nobody can go against it.

Hukum, can also be understood as Law, by which the whole creation at all levels is created and sustained, and dissolved.

Hukum is also as you sow, so shall you reap. He is not partial,with aybody. That is the law of karam. so whether we understand some situations or not, we should never ever blame him for anything, as what we receive only what we have sown. Wealth, health, family, relations, pain, pleasure, etc, are all due to our own karmas. Which bind us into the creation

From Him, we only receive Prem, Daya Meher, Bakshish, Kirpa, which helps us to cut all these bonds, become pure paviter, to return to Him, that is also His Hukum.

The Bani says: Jevad Aap, tevad Teree Daat.

This means, He does not give anything which can bind us into this mayavee creation, but rather fully Himself without reservations.

Usually when we buy a gift for someoone, we use a limited money for that; but He Sachay Patshah Wahiguru Akal Purukh, gives Himself freely and fully. Isn´t that marvelous, and beyond any description?

Is there only one Hukam or many Hukam(s)? Can you please clarify this for me?

I think, in a way, I have answered this above.

But one more thing, if we want to merge in Him, we have to act accordingly as per His Hukum / instructions, given to us, through our dearest Guru Sahibans.

The Bani says: awar kaaj tere kitte na kaam, mil Sadh Sangat, bhaj kewal Naam. Or, Jin Har japeeya, se Har hoeeya.

You see, in these is summarized the whole of Gurmat, whose sole purpose, is the union of the soul, jeev atama, with Paree Puran Parmatma Wahiguru Akal purukh, by getting purified through Bhakti, as seen in the lines above, that´s it.

2. How do we know whether we are paying off our previous karmas or making new ones?

Sometimes we simply don't understand what's going on in our lives!

Sister, it is quite impossible at our present level.

Unless we do a lot of kamaee, and reach that stage within, where we can see crystal clear everything, then we shall never protest, we shall remain silent, as we shall know, everything is happening as per laws of creation, and side by side, at that time, we shall be absorbed at His lotus Feet, without caring for what is going without, as we shall be in permanent company conscioussly, with our beloved Wahiguru, and that is what it matters only.

As we can not yet distinguish the karma theory of what is good or bad, and just to be on the safe side , we should abide by this simple law, as advised by some mahapurukh : anything that takes you near to Wahiguru, taht is good karam; and also anything which takes away from Wahiguru, is a sin or bad karam. Keeping this in mind, we can make simple our lives...

I think I understand what Guru JI is saying now and that is that we have to see, hear remember and touch Him through or with our hearts, if I am not mistaken. I am not sure if the word 'surtee' is same as heart?

No sister, heart is a physical organ, which the whole world uses it in a different context. But surtee, at a lower level means mind. First it is with the mind taht we love Him and have faith in Him, and mentally do His Bhakti; but later on, when the soul discard the mind with Naam, surtee, is the soul, who boards the jahaaz of Naam, and reaches Sach Khand, in the lap of Akal Purukh.

Gurabani is sweet, is highest and eternal Truth, beyond imagination.

Sat Sree Akal.

1 hour ago, pardesanbibbi said:

Thank you once again for answering my questions.  I was quite confused regarding some concepts but your answers have helped me to understand these concepts much better.  I still have many questions but feel embarrassed to ask them in case I am judged by others as the ignorant fool of the forum!!  Although, I must admit, I am not very clever when it comes to understanding Sikhism, Sikhi and the Gurbani!  I mean, I don't really understand much about what the Sri Guru Granth Sahib  ji says.  I do my paat without understanding much.  

Would you mind if I asked you another question?  If not, then here is my question:  I know God is responsible for everything in his creation.  His name is the medicine for all our ills.  We are told to do naam jup to cleanse ourselves as this activity gets rid of bad, past or present karmic imprints from our mann (soul).  Call me an ignorant fool, but my question is, how does naam jup of his name work to cleanse our soul, remove all our ills, weaknesses or imprints of our bad karmas from our present or past lives?  This has caused a  great deal of confusion in my mind.  I have tried finding answers in various books and listened to many discourses without success.  I would like to ask another follow up question, (to do with stages ) but it will amount to more than one question, so, I will refrain.

Please don't think that I am questioning the power of God in any way by asking this question.  I know and firmly believe God is all-powerful and within everyone.  

Penji don't feel embarrassed to ask anything, if we can't ask here, then where can we? You will not be judged, as not everybody has the answers to everything themselves. There are many here learning about Sikhi and also many that share their vast experience and knowledge with us. 

So please go ahead and ask, as your questions may also help and answer somebody else's questions. 

Harsharan Paji is good at helping out when one is confused. I myself have benefited a lot from paji's knowledge and support. 

Its good that you are questioning things you don't know, otherwise how else will you know. 

Thanks for asking