Hindu Sentiment And What Is Quam?

Guest Happy

Guest Happy

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This is general a topic, and is here to gauge people's opinion on two issues. First of all thanks to the Sikh Sangat for allowing open air discussions.

The first topic I want to address is what I see a growing a trend among Sikhs in the west, UK, Canada, US etc. there is a lot of anti-Hindu sentiment. Now people are understandably against 1984 and this has left a bad taste, but shouldn't we label these people as bad doers and not put all Hindus into that lot. A lot of us don't but the majority of Sikhs hold a grudge. My main point being forget Hindus/Sikh divisions inwards into the panth, develop yourself and the panth. We are our biggest downfall, we tend to focus more on others and not ourselves.

Second topic, is the rising use of the word Quom, one only has to go many katha talks or turn on sikh tv channels to see the word now appears more often. What is the cause of this trend? Also as I understand it the word is Arabic/Islamic in nature, one can associate it with tribe or caste, but since when did Sikhi become a tribe. One should know that tribes in Punjab follow similar to the Jati/Clan families e.g. Jat, Sindhi etc. I feel the religion shouldn't use this word, just call it Sikh Panth, Sikhi applies to all.
It would be good to understand people's opinions on this.
Thanks,

Guest Jacfsing2

This is general a topic, and is here to gauge people's opinion on two issues. First of all thanks to the Sikh Sangat for allowing open air discussions.

The first topic I want to address is what I see a growing a trend among Sikhs in the west, UK, Canada, US etc. there is a lot of anti-Hindu sentiment. Now people are understandably against 1984 and this has left a bad taste, but shouldn't we label these people as bad doers and not put all Hindus into that lot. A lot of us don't but the majority of Sikhs hold a grudge. My main point being forget Hindus/Sikh divisions inwards into the panth, develop yourself and the panth. We are our biggest downfall, we tend to focus more on others and not ourselves.

Second topic, is the rising use of the word Quom, one only has to go many katha talks or turn on sikh tv channels to see the word now appears more often. What is the cause of this trend? Also as I understand it the word is Arabic/Islamic in nature, one can associate it with tribe or caste, but since when did Sikhi become a tribe. One should know that tribes in Punjab follow similar to the Jati/Clan families e.g. Jat, Sindhi etc. I feel the religion shouldn't use this word, just call it Sikh Panth, Sikhi applies to all.
It would be good to understand people's opinions on this.
Thanks,

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! First Point: Daas agrees that we should name individuals responsible for the 1984 incidents; not all Hindus should be guilty for one thing others do. But what Daas will say is this; when the Sikhs were being attacked by Hindus, (a group that Delhi Sikhs in particular was friendly with); they didn't help that much; despite our Panth having many Shaheeds just so they could still be free from Islam; (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur). Add to this the insult that in the Indian Constitution; Sikhs were called Keshdhari Hindus and not a single Sikh signed this Constitution. More than anything else; Sikhs hate the elitist system; even disliking the men like Badal and others to the point that the Khalsa had a Sarbat Khalsa in 2015 to free their institutions from Badal. Daas agrees completely that we should built our selves up; rather than cause any more divisions. Second Point: Kaum mostly means community more than just a tribe; at current Sikhs are not the majority in any area; nor does Sikhi have the world saved at the moment; so it makes sense to call it the Sikh Kaum. Khalsa is also an Arabic or Persian in particular in name origin; so it wouldn't be a surprise if there were other words from other languages; even though Sikhi applies to all; the reality of the situation is; not everyone in the world is Sikh. Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Guest JoSingh

A further point that is useful in this thread, is that one needs a plan for the Sikh Kaum. Something basic along the lines of a even a short 10 year plan. It is fine to term Kaum, but action is key. Punjab will hold elections early next year. The sad truth is that politics and religion are getting intertwined, with liberal and conservative wings existing within Sikhi. Religion needs to keep itself focused on its practice. That is the primary goal. One needs to remember that political trauma has always existed throughout Sikh history, with every period, from the Mughals to the British Raj, and now in modern India. Sikhi has always had challenges and they won't disappear it is how the world works and it's not fair, fact. However the practice of Sikhi is what keeps the Panth strong, part with politics and retain to your inner core.

Guest JoSingh

A further point that is useful in this thread, is that one needs a plan for the Sikh Kaum. Something basic along the lines of a even a short 10 year plan. It is fine to term Kaum, but action is key. Punjab will hold elections early next year. The sad truth is that politics and religion are getting intertwined, with liberal and conservative wings existing within Sikhi. Religion needs to keep itself focused on its practice. That is the primary goal. One needs to remember that political trauma has always existed throughout Sikh history, with every period, from the Mughals to the British Raj, and now in modern India. Sikhi has always had challenges and they won't disappear it is how the world works and it's not fair, fact. However the practice of Sikhi is what keeps the Panth strong, part with politics and retain to your inner core.