Guest curious

Reading Bani From Dasam Granth Everyday ?

Guest curious   
Guest curious

hello, just wondering can we read bani from dasam granth everyday? like can we read chandi di vaar everyday?

i have anxiety problems and i take prescribed medication for it. im male 23. not amritdhari but i dont eat meat or drink etc

iv read things online like you cant read bani from dasam granth everyday, and things like you cant read chandi di vaar at night before going to sleep!

is all this true? its bani so there really shouldn't be any restrictions to it, should there?

thanks

Guest MrHSinghK   
Guest MrHSinghK

Veer ji first of all i am not amritdhari yet and secondly yes Chandi Di Vaar can be read everyday as long as it done before sunset with Sukhmani Sahib and 5 bani's cos many people can't handle the Bir Ras.

I myself was afraid before even listening to it let alone reading it

ms514    433

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Every Amritdhari Sikh is prescribed reading Dasam Bani daily - Jaap Sahib, Tav Prasad Saviyae, Chaupai Sahib. Read away, whenever. No restrictions.

Akalifauj    792

hello, just wondering can we read bani from dasam granth everyday? like can we read chandi di vaar everyday?

i have anxiety problems and i take prescribed medication for it. im male 23. not amritdhari but i dont eat meat or drink etc

iv read things online like you cant read bani from dasam granth everyday, and things like you cant read chandi di vaar at night before going to sleep!

is all this true? its bani so there really shouldn't be any restrictions to it, should there?

thanks

There are no such restrictions. Read Chandi di vaar when and how many times you want. Read Dasam Bani as much as you want.

Bir ras is misunderstood.

Guest Nimma   
Guest Nimma

If u really love dasam pita ji, do ardas and read as much bani as u want without any restriction.

If u make any mistake(if any) dasam pita jee will make u undertand about it, just like a dad helps one year kid

• Like 1

Akalifauj    792

If you read Chandi Di Vaar at the evening, you must read it continuously till amritvela (the next day).. You also should light a jyoti and incense non stop.

If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding.

I have read this before and Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji put no such stipulation on Chandi di vaar. The beginning of Chandi di vaar is ardas which the khalsa has done billions of times after sunset. Then some people say it can only be done standing. Another stipulation that Guru sahib never put on but today people want to add manmat.

Bundha    584

Bhaji, this is not manmat.

Khalsa recited Chandi dhi vaar because of bir rass that was needed for the tumultuous times that they lived in when battle was an ever present thing.

Chandi dhi vaar is an account of chandi doing battle with the dhents, in essence you are remembering chandi, and what happens when you keep remembering someone? that person will come.

Why do we recite GURBANI? so that Guru will come, that we will be close to the Guru, that we will merge into the shabad.

You keep reciting chandi dhi vaar and Chandi will come. and who has the naam/simran or spiritual level to be able to endure her terrible form? Once she comes she ain't going anywhere then how you going to get rid of her? You do not know, you are in a mess now.

I would suggest if you want to do bani from Dasam Granth Sahib Ji, recite Akaal Ustat. Infact recite the first chaupai from Akaal Ustat - Pranvo aadh ekan-kara recite this day and night whenever you are doing your daily work . . . . . and Guru Gobind Singh Ji will come for sure. Who would you rather have Guru Sahib Ji or Chandi?

Edited by Bundha
  • Like 1

Akalifauj    792

Khalsa recited Chandi dhi vaar because of bir rass that was needed for the tumultuous times that they lived in when battle was an ever present thing.

Chandi dhi vaar is an account of chandi doing battle with the dhents, in essence you are remembering chandi, and what happens when you keep remembering someone? that person will come.

Why do we recite GURBANI? so that Guru will come, that we will be close to the Guru, that we will merge into the shabad.

You keep reciting chandi dhi vaar and Chandi will come. and who has the naam/simran or spiritual level to be able to endure her terrible form? Once she comes she ain't going anywhere then how you going to get rid of her? You do not know, you are in a mess now.

I would suggest if you want to do bani from Dasam Granth Sahib Ji, recite Akaal Ustat. Infact recite the first chaupai from Akaal Ustat - Pranvo aadh ekan-kara recite this day and night whenever you are doing your daily work . . . . . and Guru Gobind Singh Ji will come for sure. Who would you rather have Guru Sahib Ji or Chandi?

Now I have a better understanding why the Sikhs latch on to missionary sikh preachers. It's because of people who do not understand Dasam bani by which they attribute Akal Purakh praise to chandi. Anyone would be turned away by this complete ignorance. A poster in the past tried to say chandi is being praised in chandi di vaar. But he was shut down by the great Sant Baba Gurbachan singh ji recording of chandi di vaar katha. In no way is chandi being remembered in chandi do vaar. Satguru is showing us her shortcomings by being in ego and evoking actual chandi (Akal purakh). Chandi di vaar starts by remembering Akal Purakh in the form of destroying the enemy (sword). And ends in the same way. Satguru is saying chandi thinks she is highest since a god indra came begging for her help after he lost his kingdom but right off the bat chandi is shown as hankhari (egotistical ). Satguru cuts chandi's head right off in the beginning.

Gursikh when doing ardas hold a Sri sahib in their hands. If chandi di vaar is remembering chandi(the goddess ) then why aren't these gursikhs hold a picture or statue of chandi in ardas? Learn from gurmukhs and the true meaning of any shabad will be understood.

• Like 1

Thanatos    182

I agree with everything you said but Chandi is actually extremely beautiful, Kali is the one with the terrible form, if she were to appear you'd be able to look at her no problem. She's so much lower than Guru Sahib Ji though and since this is Gurbani we're invoking the protection of MahaKaal not Chandi as in the beginning of the Vaar it's even said She got her power from Akaal.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Like 1

Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2

I agree with everything you said but Chandi is actually extremely beautiful, Kali is the one with the terrible form, if she were to appear you'd be able to look at her no problem. She's so much lower than Guru Sahib Ji though and since this is Gurbani we're invoking the protection of MahaKaal not Chandi as in the beginning of the Vaar it's even said She got her power from Akaal.

Daas thought they both were the same; (unless by Chandi you mean Shastar, instead of Durga?) Yes; they are both weaker than Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji-Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Thanatos    182

Daas thought they both were the same; (unless by Chandi you mean Shastar, instead of Durga?) Yes; they are both weaker than Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji-Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

In Chandi Charitar if memory serves right Kali and Chandi are described as separate entities, then in Chandi di Vaar, to kill Sranwat Beej Kali explodes from Durga's forehead to kill him and provide support for Durga.

ਚੰਡ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ਅਖੰਡ ਲੀਏ ਕਰਿ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਕਾਲ ਹੀ ਜਿਉੇ ਅਰਜੀ ਹੈ ॥੭੫॥

चंड प्रचंड अखंड लीए करि कालिका काल ही जिउ अरजी है ॥७५॥

Highly glorious Chandi, in her blanced state, creating Kalika like death, spoke thus.75.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

दोहरा ॥

DOHRA

ਨਿਰਖ ਚੰਡਕਾ ਤਾਸ ਕੋ ਤਬੈ ਬਚਨ ਇਹ ਕੀਨ ॥

निरख चंडका तास को तबै बचन इह कीन ॥

Chandika, seeing her, thus spoke to her;

ਹੇ ਪੁਤ੍ਰੀ ਤੂੰ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਹੋਹੁ ਜੁ ਮੁਝ ਮੈ ਲੀਨ ॥੭੬॥

हे पुत्री तूं कालिका होहु जु मुझ मै लीन ॥७६॥

O my daughter Kalika, merge in me."76.

ਸੁਨਤ ਬਚਨ ਯੇ ਚੰਡਿ ਕੋ ਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਗਈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

सुनत बचन ये चंडि को ता महि गई समाइ ॥

Hearing these words of Chandi, she merged in her;

ਜਿਉ ਗੰਗਾ ਕੀ ਧਾਰ ਮੈ ਜਮਨਾ ਪੈਠੀ ਧਾਇ ॥੭੭॥

जिउ गंगा की धार मै जमना पैठी धाइ ॥७७॥

Like Yamuna falling into the current of Ganges.77.

Sri Kali has many beautiful forms as well, she is not limited to the battle/cremation form.

She can have unlimited forms, I don't really care about any of them except the one mentioned in Gurbani, which is the the terrible form. Pretty sure Dasam Bani only mentioned the terrible form so honestly that's all that matters, hence why I was adding in, based on the context above, about Dasam Pitas bani and NOT Hindu Mythology.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Like 1

Thanatos    182

none of it is mythology :-)

Depends on views honestly, if someone wants to deny the existence of them then fair do as they hold no real place in Sikhism except as metaphors.

• Like 1

Bundha    584

Guru Granth Sahib Ji would not mention anything that was made up or mythology. Guru Ji talks the truth.

If Guru Ji talks of Krishan Ji, Ram Ji, Hanuman, Ravan, dhents, devis, kinars, ghandarvas, Parya, then it is the truth.

• Like 2

Thanatos    182

Guru Granth Sahib Ji would not mention anything that was made up or mythology. Guru Ji talks the truth.

If Guru Ji talks of Krishan Ji, Ram Ji, Hanuman, Ravan, dhents, devis, kinars, ghandarvas, Parya, then it is the truth.

Guru Ji also writes in a poetic sense, in Dasam Granth Akaal Purkh is described as having a bed made of various gods. Are you saying Akaal (who's described as Nirankaar) suddenly literally has a bed? My point is the Devs don't play any role in Sikhism, you don't need to acknowledge their existence to get closer to god.

Day and Night are said to be 2 nurses, are they actually nurses? nope it's a really amazing metaphor. Literal-ism will open up a myriad of contradictions if you don't dwell deeper into the arth of Gurbani. Gurbani is an ocean, not a simple shallow pool.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• http://www.sikhmatrimonials.com/Sikhnet/discussion.nsf/ca32680024ff68b487256a08007e86d8/950014563418440f87256fc00033d318!OpenDocument
      During my visits to the Harimandir Sahib in late 1990s when I was studying at Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, I often came across a very familiar scene – Inside the sanctum sanctorum, sitting opposite to the ‘kirtaniyes’, a man in his 30s, in a sense of extreme gush, mesmerized and actuated by the euphoria of the keertan, physically detached from the World around him, his eyes closed with tears flowing down his cheeks and drenching his black flowing beard.

Something conspicuously different from what others were doing- hurling their way towards the sanctum sanctorum, making their own space to bow down and offer their respects, very cautious of the positioning of the cameras, telecasting live images around the world. 

Wow! I used to say every time I saw him. I thought, this is what one needs in order to attain a humane connection with that place and the environment. But I also realized that this was something inveterate, which would only come with time, filled with love for the Guru and Gurbani…

hau reh na ska bin dekhe preetma mai neer vahe vahe chale jeeo. 
      I cannot survive without seeing my Beloved. My eyes are welling up with tears. 
      (M4; Pg 94; SGGS)

But I was also a bit puzzled. Why this melancholy? It is said, ‘’how but through a broken heart can Lord enter’’. Was it the environment, the shabad or something else? It was all-in-one I guess. Sitting with crossed legs, closed eyes, listening to the ‘dhur ki baani’ written by our Gurus – this reaction is inevitable if we really concentrate on the shabad, its meaning and environment.

Also, is melancholy a reflection of the Sikhs’ perception of ‘man neevan’ which they utter daily in their prayer, ‘man neevan; mat uchee’? (humble mind and exalted wisdom). It’s such a unique combination of the ‘man’ (mind) being humble but at the same time the spirits being high.     
    • You're not alone in wondering why people do this. As far as my observations, people who name thier daughters maya don't have a clue what maya is or the concept of maya. These people tend to be Sikh in name only. They do it purely to be modern while keeping an 'indian flavour' to thier childs name.
    • Guest Kaur 2
      VJKK VJKF This question has been eating at me for quite a long time now. I thought that maya what something that distracts us from Vaheguru so why do people call their daughters maya? Do you think it comes from Bollywood? Just a thought. VJKK VJKF  
    • Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh !! Sangat Ji, Just came across this interesting read while downloading Kirtan from Sikhnet. Thought i should share.. https://www.sikhnet.com/news/why-do-sikhs-celebrate-bandi-chhor-divas-so-much Source: http://americanbornconfusedsikh.blogspot.ca/2017/10/why-do-sikhs-celebrate-bandi-chor-divas.html   P.S  - I do not affiliate or follow 3HO or any related sikh organisations   Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh !!      
    • Guest Kaur 2
      VJKK VJKF Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj says in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib: Look though these images and you will get your answer.