Reading Bani From Dasam Granth Everyday ?

Guest curious

An example with any lesson works better at getting some action. If Guru ji said ... naam japo naam japo... it would be bland and we are less likely to understand. However an example will motivate us better. Examples help us to understand and associate ourselves with real people who benefited from naam jap and who suffered from sin.

Thank you, finally someone gets it.

Depends on views honestly, if someone wants to deny the existence of them then fair do as they hold no real place in Sikhism except as metaphors.

My point is the Devs don't play any role in Sikhism, you don't need to acknowledge their existence to get closer to god.

And now you want to bark at me by saying I don't know how to read because I pointing out your mistake. Acknowledging the existence of devis and devta means to accept Gurbani. In order to get closer to God a person as to accept Gurbani. Without Gurbani a person is never closer to God.

And it does not depend on views. Gurbani said they exist and this is the only true view that matters. Do you want me to quote the shabad that acknowledge their existence? Seem to me you change your mind like the wind changes directions. Next you will say it doesn't matter Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji sat on a hot plate and it's open to be taught as never happening.

And now you want to bark at me by saying I don't know how to read because I pointing out your mistake. Acknowledging the existence of devis and devta means to accept Gurbani. In order to get closer to God a person as to accept Gurbani. Without Gurbani a person is never closer to God.

And what do they exactly play in the overall role of Sikhi? do they help us get closer to god? Do they bless us with Naam? pretty sure they don't. IF you're going to take everything in Gurbani totally literally then you're also endorsing Beliefs such as a bull and tortoise holding up the earth. Except there's Gurbani which talks against that, seems like you're falling into a little hole theere.

What's more important, when Guru Ji writes "Vishnu incarnated multiple times but couldn't know the lord". The fact that Vishnu incarnated or the fact even he couldnt grasp the lord.

And it does not depend on views. Gurbani said they exist and this is the only true view that matters. Do you want me to quote the shabad that acknowledge their existence? Seem to me you change your mind like the wind changes directions. Next you will say it doesn't matter Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji sat on a hot plate and it's open to be taught as never happening.

It seems to me like you dislike discussion, you always seem to strut around here like you're infallible. Feel free to quote the shabad, doesn't really affect the way I see things, I'm merely pointing out a higher reason is always more important.

Are you actually dense? Guru Arjun Dev Ji sitting on the hot plate is a historical effect, one that was been documented countless times. No Sikh alive has denied it happened.

So answer me 1 question doh, Do you believe there's a bull and tortoise supporting the earth or not? forget everything else actually, just answer that.

And what do they exactly play in the overall role of Sikhi? do they help us get closer to god? Do they bless us with Naam? pretty sure they don't. IF you're going to take everything in Gurbani totally literally then you're also endorsing Beliefs such as a bull and tortoise holding up the earth. Except there's Gurbani which talks against that, seems like you're falling into a little hole theere.

What's more important, when Guru Ji writes "Vishnu incarnated multiple times but couldn't know the lord". The fact that Vishnu incarnated or the fact even he couldnt grasp the lord.

It seems to me like you dislike discussion, you always seem to strut around here like you're infallible. Feel free to quote the shabad, doesn't really affect the way I see things, I'm merely pointing out a higher reason is always more important.

Are you actually dense? Guru Arjun Dev Ji sitting on the hot plate is a historical effect, one that was been documented countless times. No Sikh alive has denied it happened.

So answer me 1 question doh, Do you believe there's a bull and tortoise supporting the earth or not? forget everything else actually, just answer that.

Good post Kira Ji. Yes Maharaj Ji do say they exist, but they do not tell us to worship them. They simply acknowledge the existence of the devi/devtas, as Naam (name of God) is the only thing that will carry us across. Waheguru, are who we are to praise as Sikhs.

Good post Kira Ji. Yes Maharaj Ji do say they exist, but they do not tell us to worship them. They simply acknowledge the existence of the devi/devtas, as Naam (name of God) is the only thing that will carry us across. Waheguru, are who we are to praise as Sikhs.

I don't doubt that, I just think if someone can derive the same message but in a different way it isn't really wrong. Most people I've met don't believe in them, but I once sat down and did a nice discussion with them. They all seem to reach the exact arth I was getting from it, in all fairness every one of those GurSikhs put me to shame in terms of humility, devotion and rehat. The perceive the world differently and are more focused on the concept of total Brahm.

And what do they exactly play in the overall role of Sikhi? do they help us get closer to god? Do they bless us with Naam? pretty sure they don't.

First off, stop taking completely separate topics and mashing them together. Devi and Devta actually existing once on this earth has nothing to do with metaphors used in Gurbani. To answer your above questions. Simply read Ram Avtar, Krishna Avtar, Bachittar Natak, Chandi Di Vaar and other Shabads which teach us how devi and devta play a role in Sikhi. Since you read Dasam Bani, don't you know? Only a person of your caliber would think the devi and devta bless us with Naam. This is your sly way of trying to insult me, it just back fired. Did you not understand the metaphors that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji uses to teach a person, come with a heart not filled with hate and trying not to be cunning? What about Gurbani that says this(Gurbani) is NOT ONLY poetry.....? If not, then go learn first before you start debating things you have no clue about. And in no way have you been asking question to get a deeper understanding of Gurbani. You came here with the attitude and stated I don't know how to read. Clearly showing you were here to prove your point as right and nothing else. Too bad for you, Gurbani does not support your views for a second.

IF you're going to take everything in Gurbani totally literally then you're also endorsing Beliefs such as a bull and tortoise holding up the earth. Except there's Gurbani which talks against that, seems like you're falling into a little hole theere.

First time I read this ignorant remark, I sighed and shock my head in disbelief. I could not understand how a person who talks a big game can't even understand the simplest writings of Gurbani. The shabad you are refering too. It says right in there, that this is what they believe that held the earth. But the truth is Vaheguru holds everything in place. Its not a metaphor. Please go look up the definition of a metaphor. When the three Gods are listed in Japji Sahib Guru Sahib says these were believed to be the creator, preserver, and destroyer, but the reality is only Vaheguru does all. Again it's not a metaphor, its saying what people thought and/or were taught, but here is the correct info.

No Gurbani is higher or lower. Last time a person tried to say certain part of Gurbani was higher, he got excommunicated. You can travel down that road and see what kind of kirpa Satguru does on you. I will not because I take all of Gurbani as one as taught by Guru Sahib. Both are equal.

It seems to me like you dislike discussion, you always seem to strut around here like you're infallible.

I open my mouth when I have understood the concept and just don't pull Gurbani apart to make a puzzle that suits my beliefs. You on the other hand have a tendency to try and cover your mistakes up with piles of words. I have no problem admitting my mistakes.

Feel free to quote the shabad, doesn't really affect the way I see things, I'm merely pointing out a higher reason is always more important.

If Gurbani can't change your beliefs, then no point on going further with you. You clearly write, your beliefs are more dear to you than Gurbani. Thank you for being honest. I will not discuss Gurbani with a person who will not be open to accept Gurbani teachings. Nothing can be gained from discussing with such people.

And what do they exactly play in the overall role of Sikhi? do they help us get closer to god? Do they bless us with Naam? pretty sure they don't.

First off, stop taking completely separate topics and mashing them together. Devi and Devta actually existing once on this earth has nothing to do with metaphors used in Gurbani. To answer your above questions. Simply read Ram Avtar, Krishna Avtar, Bachittar Natak, Chandi Di Vaar and other Shabads which teach us how devi and devta play a role in Sikhi. Since you read Dasam Bani, don't you know? Only a person of your caliber would think the devi and devta bless us with Naam. This is your sly way of trying to insult me, it just back fired. Did you not understand the metaphors that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji uses to teach a person, come with a heart not filled with hate and trying not to be cunning? What about Gurbani that says this(Gurbani) is NOT ONLY poetry.....? If not, then go learn first before you start debating things you have no clue about. And in no way have you been asking question to get a deeper understanding of Gurbani. You came here with the attitude and stated I don't know how to read. Clearly showing you were here to prove your point as right and nothing else. Too bad for you, Gurbani does not support your views for a second.

IF you're going to take everything in Gurbani totally literally then you're also endorsing Beliefs such as a bull and tortoise holding up the earth. Except there's Gurbani which talks against that, seems like you're falling into a little hole theere.

First time I read this ignorant remark, I sighed and shock my head in disbelief. I could not understand how a person who talks a big game can't even understand the simplest writings of Gurbani. The shabad you are refering too. It says right in there, that this is what they believe that held the earth. But the truth is Vaheguru holds everything in place. Its not a metaphor. Please go look up the definition of a metaphor. When the three Gods are listed in Japji Sahib Guru Sahib says these were believed to be the creator, preserver, and destroyer, but the reality is only Vaheguru does all. Again it's not a metaphor, its saying what people thought and/or were taught, but here is the correct info.

No Gurbani is higher or lower. Last time a person tried to say certain part of Gurbani was higher, he got excommunicated. You can travel down that road and see what kind of kirpa Satguru does on you. I will not because I take all of Gurbani as one as taught by Guru Sahib. Both are equal.

It seems to me like you dislike discussion, you always seem to strut around here like you're infallible.

I open my mouth when I have understood the concept and just don't pull Gurbani apart to make a puzzle that suits my beliefs. You on the other hand have a tendency to try and cover your mistakes up with piles of words. I have no problem admitting my mistakes.

Feel free to quote the shabad, doesn't really affect the way I see things, I'm merely pointing out a higher reason is always more important.

If Gurbani can't change your beliefs, then no point on going further with you. You clearly write, your beliefs are more dear to you then Gurbani. Thank you for being honest. Let me know when you are will to accept Gurbani. Otherwise, you can keep writing to yourself.

So going by this you believe the battle with Chandi took place, then you'll also know that in it Chandi slew mahikasur and struck the horn of the bull and tortorise who support the earth. So what there, there's suddenly a metaphorically meaning to this?

ਪਾਖਰ ਤੁਰਾ ਪਲਾਣੀ ਰੜਕੀ ਧਰਤਿ ਜਾਇ ॥

पाखर तुरा पलाणी रड़की धरति जाइ ॥

And it further pierced through the saddle and caparison of the horse, and struck on the earth supported by the Bull (Dhaul).

ਲੈਦੀ ਅਘਾ ਸਿਧਾਣੀ ਸਿੰਗਾਂ ਧਉਲ ਦਿਆਂ ॥

लैदी अघा सिधाणी सिंगां धउल दिआं ॥

It moved further and struck the horns of the Bull.

ਕੂਰਮ ਸਿਰ ਲਹਿਲਾਣੀ ਦੁਸਮਨ ਮਾਰਿ ਕੈ ॥

कूरम सिर लहिलाणी दुसमन मारि कै ॥

Then it struck on the Tortoise supporting the Bull and thus killing the enemy.

I've not tried any form of trickery, If you want to believe that they help your sikhi then go for it, use them as buffers rather than Akaal. You literally think everyone is out to get you, you claim Gurbani teaches not to hate and then what of all the times you spewed hatred towards others? using derogatory terms to describe others? I've been here long enough to have seen that. Sheer Hypocrisy.

Refer above to where I pointed it out, I was refering to Chandi di //, NOT Japji Sahib. Please dear sir, refer to when I stated this.

The current Dasam Granth was compiled by Bhai Mani Singh Ji with the help of Mata Sundri Ji, the chaubis avatar also recounts the birth of a mythic bull which held the world up. Something that Guru Nanak Dev Ji disproved in Japji sahib itself. Chaubai Avatar in the case of many scholars was there to help us understand the references in Gurbani, and also to help the so called lower caste hindus who didn't have access to the knowledge.

So will you argue that a bull is supporting the Earth now?

As you can clearly see I was referring to something else.

Which brings me onto my other point, which you graciously brought up.

its saying what people thought and/or were taught, but here is the correct info.

People are used to the teachings and these beings more so, So utilising them to express whats actually going on is another way some Sikhs look at it, Same way some people use the word "Einstein" to describe someone who is highly intelligent. Use that word 200 years ago and no one would have known who he was. Thus negating the actual meaning of the phrase.

I've never pulled Gurbani apart anywhere. You literally think anyone who has a different view than you is suddenly wrong, yet you sit here lecturing me about not admitting my mistakes lol. I've said countless times on here im nothing more than a horrible person who isn't even worthy of the dust in the presence of actual Gursikhs, take it as you want but i have no problem admitting my mistakes.

If Gurbani can't change your beliefs, then no point on going further with you. You clearly write, your beliefs are more dear to you then Gurbani. Thank you for being honest. Let me know when you are will to accept Gurbani. Otherwise, you can keep writing to yourself.

Seriously I said it once and I'll say it again, I believe in the existence of these entities however I don't believe acceptance of their existence is paramount as you can derive the same meaning you get either way.

Fair enough, I'll admit I was bang out of order there. I apologise and I was Wrong, I could and will construct my point better :)

• 5 months later...
On 09/07/2016 at 0:05 AM, Akalifauj said:

There are no such restrictions. Read Chandi di vaar when and how many times you want. Read Dasam Bani as much as you want.

Bir ras is misunderstood.

There is a correct method for reciting Chandi di vaar , if you read during the day you can read once or as many times you like BUT if you read after Sunset you must continue to recite this bani akhand until Dawn . This is direct advice of Shaheed SInghs to Harnam Singh Rampurkediwale  when he made mistake of doing bani after sunset and stopping .

13 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

There is a correct method for reciting Chandi di vaar , if you read during the day you can read once or as many times you like BUT if you read after Sunset you must continue to recite this bani akhand until Dawn . This is direct advice of Shaheed SInghs to Harnam Singh Rampurkediwale  when he made mistake of doing bani after sunset and stopping .

Then, the last Ardas should take place at sunset and no more ardas till sun rises.  What does Chandi Di Vaar have to do with the Sun?  What will you do in areas where the sun doesn't rise for many days?  Satguru puts no time restriction on Gurbani.  Remember Satguru any time in any form, whether Chandi Di Vaar or Sohila Sahib or Rehras Sahib or Japji Sahib or Jaap Sahib.