Sikh Family Center's Help Line

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Contact us

408.800.SEVA (7382)

sikhfamilycenter@gmail.com

Sikh Family Center's HELP LINE provides culturally specific peer-counseling and non-emergency support for community members in Punjabi and English. The phone line is staffed by community volunteers committed to supporting community members facing or fearing any threats to health, safety, and/or security.

Please note, the HELP LINE is NOT

Not for Emergencies. Please call 911 for any emergency situation.

Not a Hotline. We cannot answer the phone live.

That means, you must leave a message on our voicemail.

We try our best to return your call within 48 hours.

408.800.SEVA (7382)

The HELP LINE IS

A safe and confidential resource.

A place where we listen to you carefully and respectfully.

A place where we do not judge you, and there is no shame.

A source of information-we often refer and connect callers to other relevant resources.

Volunteers

Volunteers answering messages on the line have training specific to various areas of practice, including but not limited to:

Physical health

Mental health

Crisis counseling

Safety planning and anti-violence work

Harassment

Bullying

Examples

Examples of concerns we have worked with in the past. No concern is too big or too small!

I am starting college and have no idea about what course of study to follow. I wrote "pre-med" on my initial application, but don't like studying science and don't know what other options I might have?

I am working for a family, taking care of their two little children. They don't pay me, but give me a room and food. They also don't return my passport. I am scared if I ask them for it, they may tell immigration to take me away.

The teacher's assistant in my 4th period class always threatens to take off extra points from my exam if I don't give write him 250 lines of "I am a curry smelling monkey" daily. He says he has this power.

My fiance and I got into a fight. That happens almost every week. But this time, he angrily shoved me really hard, and I am very scared. If I tell anyone, he will get into trouble.

I've come home every evening for three months straight to find my wife sitting on the couch, looking depressed, claiming today is going to be her last day. She also looks drugged, and I suspect she is drinking alcohol. What should I do?

My Mom and I were arguing because some boy from school keeps calling our home late at night. For the first time, I yelled at Mom for five whole minutes. I felt ashamed later and left. It's been two days and I haven't been back home now I don't know how to.

http://www.sikhfamilycenter.org/sfc/408800SEVA.html