Guest BazSingh

Guest BazSingh

WKWF.

As most of you would have seen on-line unfortunately allot of SIkh's end up having their Kesh pulled etc when involved in an altercation. Long Kesh also makes it hard to see and protect yourself.

Personally I use two large clips to pin down my Kesh under my Dastaar. This was the Kesh always remain fully intact and away from the face/eyes and can not be easily pulled. Just wanted to share useful this tip with the sangat as their is nothing worse than seeing a Singh being pulled around by their Kesh.

I am sure others have their own ways, however I have found the above to be by far the best for me.

You must be from India or UK. I have never heard of such thing in North America. Anyone who claims to have had his hair cut turned out to be the person was not interested in Sikhi he was force to have a Distar and long hair.

Keeping Kesh - Gurpratap Suraj Prakash

The passage below is a portion from Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth, written by Kavi Santhok Singh written in 1843. He describes a story where a Khatri by the name of Nau Nidh Bhandaari approached Guru Gobind Singh Ji discussed the importance of Kesh [unshorn hair]. This is only an excerpt from the passage, there is a portion which has not been included where Guru Gobind Singh Ji outlines how the tradition of keeping kesh has eroded in both Semitic and Eastern religions.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜੀ ! ਤੁਮ ਪੰਥ ਚਲਾਯੋ ॥ ਬਾਣਾ ਰਚਯੋ ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਖਵਾਯੋ ॥

[Nau Nidh speaking] "Oh Lord, you have created a new [religious] Path, you have created a new dress and have kept your Kesh [unshorn hair].

ਗੁਰੂ ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਬਤਾਵਹੁ ! ॥ ਕਿਸ ਕਾਰਨ ਕਰਿ ਇਨਹੁਂ ਰਖਾਵਹੁ ?॥3॥

Guru Ji, helper of the poor, why have you kept Kesh as a part of your dress

?

ਸੁਨਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖ ਫੁਰਮਾਵਨਿ ਕਰਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਕੋ ਸ਼ਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਿਚਰ੍ਯੋ ॥

Hearing the words [of Nau Nidh], Guru Ji said, "You have studied many Shaastras"

ਪੜ੍ਹਨ ਸ਼੍ਰਵਨ ਮਹਿਂ ਬੈਸ ਬਿਤਾਈ ॥ ਇਹ ਗਤਿ ਲਖੀ ਕਿ ਨਹਿਂ ਤੁਮ ਪਾਈ ॥4॥

"You have spent your life listening and reciting the Shaastras, yet you have not come to realize the answer"

ਧਰਮ ਰਖਨਿ ਕੇਸ਼ਾਦਿਕ ਭਲੇ ॥ ਸਨਕਾਦਿਕ ਤੇ ਆਵਤਿ ਚਲੇ ॥

Adorning Kesh is beneficial to keeping one's Dharam, since the start of time this has been the tradition.

ਭਾਰਥ ਖੰਡ ਬਿਖੈ ਸ਼ੁਭ ਦੇਸ਼ ॥ ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਾਖਣੋ ਧਰਮ ਬਿਸ਼ੇਸ਼' ॥5॥

In the great land of Bharat [india], keeping Kesh is an exalted part of Dharam.

ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ ਨਉਨਿਧ ਬਹੁਰ ਬਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਆਪ ਕਹਹੁ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਚ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਨਾ ॥

Listening to the answer, Nau Nidh replied, "what you have said is true.

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਕੇਸ਼ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਭਿ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਅਬਿ ਤੌ ਸਮਾ ਰਹ੍ਯੋ ਨਹਿਂ ਸੋਈ' ॥6॥

Everyone used to keep their Kesh, however times have changed."

ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਭਨ੍ਯੋ 'ਸਮਾ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਕਹੈ ॥ ਸੋ ਰਵਿ ਸੋ ਸਸਿ, ਸੋ ਜਲ ਅਹੈ ॥

ਬਾਯੂ, ਬੰਨੀ, ਬਸੁਧਾ ੳਈ ॥ ਦੋਸ਼ ਸਮੈ ਕੋ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਕਹਿ ਕੋਈ ॥7॥

Guru Ji replied, "How have times changed? The same sun remains, the same moon, water, wind, fire and Earth remain. How can you blame time?

ਆਪਨ ਆਪ ਕੋ ਦੋਸ਼ ਲਖੀਜੈ । ਰਾਖੇ ਜਾਇਂ ਨ, ਸਾਚ ਕਹੀਜੈ ॥

Blame yourself for not being able to keep Kesh, speak the truth Nau Nidh.

ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਖਨਿ ਕੀ ਸਮਰਥ ਹੀਨੇ ॥ ਦੋਸ਼ ਸਮੇਂ ਪਰ ਕਲਪਨ ਕੀਨੇ ॥8॥

You do not have the strength to keep Kesh so you dismissively blame the times for changing.

--------

ਰਚ੍ਯੋ ਸੁ ਈਸ਼ੁਰ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹ ॥ ਕਰ੍ਯੋ ਸੁਭਾਇਮਾਨ ਛਬਿ ਗ੍ਰੇਹ ॥

The body is created by Eshvar [The Lord], He has created humans beautiful and respectful.

ਉੱਤਮਾਂਗ ਪਰ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕਰੇ ॥ ਅਧਿਕ ਰੂਪ ਕੇਸ਼ਨ ਤੇ ਧਰੇ ॥40॥

Out of all parts of the body, the head is the highest, and adorning Kesh [unshorn hair] on top of one's head the body becomes beautiful.

if you do a bunga securely with a keshki enmeshed and covering the kes , the dastar will not slip, the keshki will not be easy to knock off . I just used to do single dastar in primary school but even then the keshki was anchored on tight layers under the ears before the ladd was passed over the top of them . Now if you do a proper bunga and dumalla no chance of beadbhi of kesh . If your dastar is not secure learn to tie it in a secure manner . It is our fault if we let this beadbhi happen.

Guest BazSingh

This is going off topic. The post is not about cutting kesh, do people not read posts properly?

I do a juura, then lock it down with two large clips, and do my a dastar over it. That way the kesh always remains fully secure and safe.

This is going off topic. The post is not about cutting kesh, do people not read posts properly?

I do a juura, then lock it down with two large clips, and do my a dastar over it. That way the kesh always remains fully secure and safe.

Okay. I want to try it. So what kind of clips do you use. Can you send pics of the clips and explain how you place them

Thanks

No Dastar will never come off. Being in a head lock, wrestling etc will make any headgear come off. Best to secure Kesh.

clips when getting ripped out by fighting will take chunks of hair out of the scalp with them , what I suggested was the centuries old method which served the sikhs who gave their blood on real battlefields . Do what you feel is better it's your choice . My other point would be to point out is clips will fail too as they designed to open . Maybe if you were that worried you could put hairbands in , harder to open (no hinges) , non bulky .

In regards to training only:

If you tie a decent patka, tight joora, and wear a wrestling cap you should be fine in BJJ/Wrestling/Sambo.

Even if you get choked/taken down it should hold up.

IF it doesnt, get on with it. Re tie it and get back into training. These small things shouldnt affect your participation.

We have this notion nowadays that we cant do this due to maryada etc etc.

How do you think singhs did in Jung? Worried about their dastaars? Or their lives.

My two cents and opinion.

No harm done.

Love to all.

Note: