Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacfsing2

Why Didn't "low-caste" People In India Become Sikh?

73 posts in this topic

what you do not understand is THIS : amrit is how a sikh becomes a sikh , amrit destroys ALL previous allegiances to tribe, to caste even to family and binds us to Akal Purakh alone , our birthplace becomes Anandpur Sahib our family becomes Guru Gobind SIngh ji and Mata Sahib Kaur ji and our siblings the Khalsa our goth is Singh or Kaur and our jaat is Humanity. If that does not satisfy you then maybe you need to look at yourself deeper.

Caste is a manmade construct to consolidate Brahmin power structure , where spiritual knowledge and social freedom is locked away for those at the bottom of the pyramid. It is used to allow oppression of fellow human beings without guilt ...I mean a high caste person can kill a 'low caste' or 'untouchable' and not earn the same sin as killing an animal ? how is that not a perversion of Akal Purakh's justice and law? It is not even logical, in the Bhagats we can see Namdev who wanted to enter the Temple to praise Akal Purakh but the pandit stopped him because of his jaat, so he went around to the back of the temple and prayed there . Akal Purakh hearing his devotion moved the temple entrance around to where Namdev stood . There are many 'low caste' bhagats who achieved status of brahmgiani despite their religion's pronouncements that they needed to be twice born ....Lose the shallow philosophy and deal in reality , whosoever listens, understands and lives in Hukham will discover Guru's dwar.

Agreed with what you are saying, but we do not simply discard the past. We still owe allegiance to our biological parents and family, as we might do with our culture. We do regard our biological parents as our parents as well though. As we may do with our native culture. The difference is that we look at everything as equal, not smaller or bigger after initiating into Khalsa.

Agreed with what you are saying, but we do not simply discard the past. We still owe allegiance to our biological parents and family, as we might do with our culture. We do regard our biological parents as our parents as well though. As we may do with our native culture. The difference is that we look at everything as equal, not smaller or bigger after initiating into Khalsa.

Lol youre making up all this BS to try and defend/justify not disregarding your caste. "Oh im a sikh now, so my caste is a little less important now! But still important!" Worst logic ever lol.

3 people like this

God your stupid, no you don't. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said to stop following Vedas and any other scripture, they are the ones who started this caste nonsense. Everything about the Khalsa is no caste. IF Maharani Jind rejected the very son she lost for decades because he converted out of Sikhism (she disowned him on the spot) how on earth would ANY loyalty to ANY parent or offspring of discard their sikhi exist.

Surname is synonymous with lineage WHICH is allowed, So tell me what Caste does the surname baxter,Jones or even Smith belong to?

As usual you are debunked by everyone who clearly knows more than you but your so lost in your own little web of lies that you wont even admit it lool.

You're nothing more than demented freak who's in love with Casteism. Honestly you just broke your own rehit (since you claim to be amritdhari) so please do us all a favour and leave us alone. Nice of you to consider Amrit water (if we go by Bhai Daya Singh Ji's hukamnama)

absolute scum lol.

Edited by Thanatos
2 people like this

To add weight to this stupid argument started by this moronic, caste obsessed cretin I'd like to present this from the Rehit.

http://sgpc.net/sikh-rehat-maryada-in-punjabi/

Page 22.

And here it is in English

. You have become the pure Khalsa, having renounced your previous lineage, professional background, calling (occupation), beliefs, that is, having given up all connections with your caste, descent, birth, country, religion, etc.. You are to worship none except the One Timeless Being - no god, goddess, incarnation or prophet. You are not to think of anyone except the ten Gurus and anything except their gospel as your savior. You are supposed to know Gurmukhi (Punjabi alphabet). (If you do not, you must learn it). And recite, or listen in to the recitation of, the under mentioned scriptural compositions, the daily repetition of which is ordained, every day:

and again from the Damdami Taksaal too.

The Jathedar of the Panj Pyare is to utter the Fateh, as is the tradition from Satguru’s time, and congratulate the ‘new’ initiates. He also says, "Khalsa Jee, many of you are blessed for on this day you have received Satguru Jee’s gift of Amrit. You have shaken off the influence of Guruless people. You now belong to the Guru. From this day forward, you are the sons and daughters of the Guru, and your mind, body and wealth belong to the Guru. Having taken the Guru’s Amrit, your previous caste, family name and sins are no more. Your previous life is finished and today you have taken birth in the House of the Guru. You are all now part of the Khalsa family:

Every single Rehit in existence has these words as Uttered by the Master. If anyone is trying to preaching the Caste System exists in Sikhism and has even an iota of importance, they should be expelled from the Panth.

3 people like this

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh, if you are going to be proud of your ancestors you should be proud of their qualities that made them righteous, not something they have no control over. There is a difference between the two, that's the same as being proud of something you have no control over, which is just wrong. If you want to be proud of your biological parents, then be proud of their qualities, not their caste as they had no control over this man-made system by a religion they had no control over. Also, what if your ancestors were a different religion, would you retain that as well and be a Hindu-Sikh, or a Muslim-Sikh, or a Christian-Sikh? Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! Edited by Jacfsing2
3 people like this

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh, if you are going to be proud of your ancestors you should be proud of their qualities that made them righteous, not something they have no control over. There is a difference between the two, that's the same as being proud of something you have no control over, which is just wrong. If you want to be proud of your biological parents, then be proud of their qualities, not their caste as they had no control over this man-made system by a religion they had no control over. Also, what if your ancestors were a different religion, would you retain that as well and be a Hindu-Sikh, or a Muslim-Sikh, or a Christian-Sikh? Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh ji. That is very true Singh ji. We do not have control on many things from birth, but that does not mean they don't hold any significance to us even later in life. Endorsing pride over caste is nothing that I advocate. Saying that it isn't real, or calling the culture a fairy tale is what is wrong. I've always had respect for you because of your qualities as well. Indeed your intellect is higher than many posters in this site, who are not even worthy of a reply since they do not even live by Sikhi.

Lol youre making up all this BS to try and defend/justify not disregarding your caste. "Oh im a sikh now, so my caste is a little less important now! But still important!" Worst logic ever lol.

It is of importance, that is why in Gurbani Sahib ji people regard themselves of their caste as well. Or else if caste wasn't even a thing in our religion it would not even be regarded as so.

Edited by Preeet

God your stupid, no you don't. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said to stop following Vedas and any other scripture, they are the ones who started this caste nonsense. Everything about the Khalsa is no caste. IF Maharani Jind rejected the very son she lost for decades because he converted out of Sikhism (she disowned him on the spot) how on earth would ANY loyalty to ANY parent or offspring of discard their sikhi exist.

Surname is synonymous with lineage WHICH is allowed, So tell me what Caste does the surname baxter,Jones or even Smith belong to?

As usual you are debunked by everyone who clearly knows more than you but your so lost in your own little web of lies that you wont even admit it lool.

You're nothing more than demented freak who's in love with Casteism. Honestly you just broke your own rehit (since you claim to be amritdhari) so please do us all a favour and leave us alone. Nice of you to consider Amrit water (if we go by Bhai Daya Singh Ji's hukamnama)

absolute scum lol.

First of all, I have no idea what the text which I have italicized means, so if you may fix it for everyone's betterment. Not all castes work that way (regarding the example used by you). I have heard it many times in Gurbani Sahib ji where bhagats regard themselves by their CASTE, NOT LINEAGE. CASTE does exist even in Gurbani Sahib ji. What the difference is is that my beloved Sri Guru Sahib ji preaches equality, which is SATYA. If our dharam was against this, then why is caste even mentioned of people, if it "doesn't exist" or is "man made". Example:

Page 346, Line 3

ਮੇਰੇਰਮਈਏਰੰਗੁਮਜੀਠਕਾਕਹੁਰਵਿਦਾਸਚਮਾਰ ॥੪॥੧॥

Mere ram▫ī▫e rang majīṯẖ kā kaho Raviḏās cẖamār. ||4||1||

The color of my Lord's Love, however, is permanent, like the dye of the madder plant. So says Ravi Daas, the tanner. ||4||1||

Devotee Ravidas

Thanks for the kind words, we can all see what kind of a Sikh you are now. "hum nehi chunge, bura nehi koi" is obviously not what you live by.

Edited by Preeet

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh ji. That is very true Singh ji. We do not have control on many things from birth, but that does not mean they don't hold any significance to us even later in life. Endorsing pride over caste is nothing that I advocate. Saying that it isn't real, or calling the culture a fairy tale is what is wrong. I've always had respect for you because of your qualities as well. Indeed your intellect is higher than many posters in this site, who are not even worthy of a reply since they do not even live by Sikhi.

And what significance does caste hold later on in life exactly?

Obviously you have a lot of nirmata, (not) by seeing who does and does not have high intellect lol.

Caste is nothing but a fairy tale, something you preach, fairy tales.

It is of importance, that is why in Gurbani Sahib ji people regard themselves of their caste as well. Or else if caste wasn't even a thing in our religion it would not even be regarded as so.

What? People? Caste is not part of Sikhi, wake up and get that bit right at least.

First of all, I have no idea what the text which I have italicized means, so if you may fix it for everyone's betterment. Not all castes work that way (regarding the example used by you). I have heard it many times in Gurbani Sahib ji where bhagats regard themselves by their CASTE, NOT LINEAGE. CASTE does exist even in Gurbani Sahib ji. What the difference is is that my beloved Sri Guru Sahib ji preaches equality, which is SATYA. If our dharam was against this, then why is caste even mentioned of people, if it "doesn't exist" or is "man made". Example:

Page 346, Line 3

The color of my Lord's Love, however, is permanent, like the dye of the madder plant. So says Ravi Daas, the tanner. ||4||1||

Devotee Ravidas

Thanks for the kind words, we can all see what kind of a Sikh you are now. "hum nehi chunge, bura nehi koi" is obviously not what you live by.

Do you even bother reading who put the Bhagat ji's bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ? And why caste names are in Gurbani? Obviously not!

Yes Guru Ji tell us of equality, but it doesn't mean to be proud of one's caste.

You need to read, read and read again what the interpretations are. It's not difficult to understand, since you think those with low intellect are not worthy of a reply, at least they know why caste names are in Gurbani. You on the other hand don't. And even after so many people have explained to you, you still do not want to understand.

Simple solution for you to understand without anybody telling you is read Gurbani and contemplate it. If there is anything you do not understand then feel free to ask, somebody with high intellect if you wish, they will help you with it.

Caste mentioned in Gurbani is not to tell us to hold onto it, but I will leave it to you to work it out, because you know everything ?

Edited by simran345

@Preet, where did the caste system originate from and why? Who made it?

And what significance does caste hold later on in life exactly?

Obviously you have a lot of nirmata, (not) by seeing who does and does not have high intellect lol.

Caste is nothing but a fairy tale, something you preach, fairy tales.

What? People? Caste is not part of Sikhi, wake up and get that bit right at least.

Do you even bother reading who put the Bhagat ji's bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ? And why caste names are in Gurbani? Obviously not!

Yes Guru Ji tell us of equality, but it doesn't mean to be proud of one's caste.

You need to read, read and read again what the interpretations are. It's not difficult to understand, since you think those with low intellect are not worthy of a reply, at least they know why caste names are in Gurbani. You on the other hand don't. And even after so many people have explained to you, you still do not want to understand.

Simple solution for you to understand without anybody telling you is read Gurbani and contemplate it. If there is anything you do not understand then feel free to ask, somebody with high intellect if you wish, they will help you with it.

Caste mentioned in Gurbani is not to tell us to hold onto it, but I will leave it to you to work it out, because you know everything

Its significance is that it is part of our culture. Why are you asking me which people, I have given the example of Sri Ravidas ji as a perfect example. I beg your pardon, I did read why the caste is mentioned in Gurbani. IF you think that I am not aware of the message, then please bless me Kaur ji, and enlighten me to what you are trying to say regarding the Gurbani Sahib ji that I have mentioned. Actually, you yourself probably do not understand what is trying to be said. Caste is real, and that is why bhagats and sants mention their caste in Sikh dharam. Bless you Kaur ji. I have given you a prime example, and you still do not see.

Its significance is that it is part of our culture. Why are you asking me which people, I have given the example of Sri Ravidas ji as a perfect example. I beg your pardon, I did read why the caste is mentioned in Gurbani. IF you think that I am not aware of the message, then please bless me Kaur ji, and enlighten me to what you are trying to say regarding the Gurbani Sahib ji that I have mentioned. Actually, you yourself probably do not understand what is trying to be said. Caste is real, and that is why bhagats and sants mention their caste in Sikh dharam. Bless you Kaur ji. I have given you a prime example, and you still do not see.

the bhagats professions are mentioned and also why they were shunned for their professions e.g. sain was a butcher, not to give a thumbs up for the manusmriti's manipulations of humans into categories . Guru Nanak Dev Gobind Singh ji made us into complete human beings char varan in one - so please do not use your convoluted views to misrepresent their one jot and our one jot as Guru panth

2 people like this

Not IF, Not is the word. I understand what Guru Ji tells us. I don't want your blessings or asked for them. Bless yourself thanks, because they are not blessings, but insults.

I cannot enlighten you, if Gurbani does not enlighten you, then who am I to? Only Guru Ji can do that, but what I do not see is what you do not know.

I don't understand you, that's the right sentence.

Edited by simran345

the bhagats professions are mentioned and also why they were shunned for their professions e.g. sain was a butcher, not to give a thumbs up for the manusmriti's manipulations of humans into categories . Guru Nanak Dev Gobind Singh ji made us into complete human beings char varan in one - so please do not use your convoluted views to misrepresent their one jot and our one jot as Guru panth

Kaur ji I think you are not realizing what I was trying to say. I am equating the body sharir to the caste, not the soul. The bhagat jis have listed their caste because it is real, it is not false. If the truth is hard for you to accept then please do reread the Gurbani Sahib without a bias.

Not IF, Not is the word. I understand what Guru Ji tells us. I don't want your blessings or asked for them. Bless yourself thanks, because they are not blessings, but insults.

I cannot enlighten you, if Gurbani does not enlighten you, then who am I to? Only Guru Ji can do that, but what I do not see is what you do not know.

I don't understand you, that's the right sentence.

Don't even bother Kaur ji, I have accepted my mistake of trying to learn from a learner herself.

Kaur ji I think you are not realizing what I was trying to say. I am equating the body sharir to the caste, not the soul. The bhagat jis have listed their caste because it is real, it is not false. If the truth is hard for you to accept then please do reread the Gurbani Sahib without a bias.

Don't even bother Kaur ji, I have accepted my mistake of trying to learn from a learner herself.

I didn't bother. You did yourself. Jkvlondon penji has explained it appropriately. Edited by simran345

Page 346, Line 3

Devotee Ravidas

God you are dense. Guru sahib used them as examples of WHAT NOT TO DO, do you believe a bull is holding up the earth? LOL it's mentioned in gurbani to show people how stupid and idiotic that view was. So is Caste. If you can't even read the sentence that says "Caste in no longer connected" then maybe it would help if you enrolled in school. Look guys, we were all wrong

Bhagat Bani used it TO EMPHASISE THEIR SOCIAL STRUGGLES. They were forbidden from gaining knowledge of Spirituality, IT WAS AN OPEN CHALLENGE TO THE BRAHMINS, nothing more, the same way there is BANI specifically with a Sakhi behind it. See story of Kalyug the seer. People have thrown quotes and presented Gurbani at you, but you yourself are so stupid you can't face it. Raam is used there, so go worship Vishnu, You're own narrow minded idiocy refuses to study Gurbani deeper but just seem to enjoy parroting whatever someone tells you. Grow a brain, FIND ME ANYWHERE in Gurbani where it says all humans have a caste. So tell me, I'll ask you this once more since you avoided it all the times I asked. In capitals so everyone can see this. WHERE in anyone's DNA (yeah the very thing that Akaal created to DESIGN US) WHERE IT SAYS "this is a *insert caste her* "

LOOK AT THAT NOTHING THERE. So tell me something, you know better than Akaal? lmao.

So tell me, yes or no. Simple answer.

DID ANY OF THE GURU SAHIB'S BODIES HAVE A CASTE???

Could any of the Sangat reading this please Ignore Preet, She's a confused hindu who's successfully called Amrit akin to water.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਤਿ ਸਚੁ ਸੋਇ ॥: Gurmukhi jaati paati sachu soi (sggs 560).

Every single site on the internet regarding Sikhism, any forum will preach the Caste system is false. Ignore this please. thank you. This will clear it up,

http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart30.htm

Many mahapurkhs and brahmgyanis of the world have abolished it, she thinks she knows better. So unless she can find physical evidence of caste in the DNA (code of all humans) then she has no proof, but wait here it comes. She knows better. Also just adding this in here.

On a Side note if anyone has experiences with Chandi Di Vaar please PM me. Thank you.

Edited by Thanatos
2 people like this

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! The biggest question would be is how does your caste actually help you as a person? Caste by itself is meant to divides people to extremes, you may call all castes equal, but that doesn't excuse that the idea of caste by itself destroys the idea of Gurmat in your life. The 4 Hindu Castes: (Brahmin, Khatri, Shudra, and Vaasha), are all gone when you serve Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. He had never said he was only the Guru for one caste or any caste, but rather of all humanity, and not once was Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Ram Das Ji till Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji has any statement been made that he was only the Guru of the Sodhis, but rather all of humanity. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says this:"ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਨ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਜਾਤੀ ਆਗੈ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ जाणहु जोति न पूछहु जाती आगै जाति न हे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Jāṇhu joṯ na pūcẖẖahu jāṯī āgai jāṯ na he. ||1|| rahā▫o. Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||" (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang 349). Not only is there no caste, but there are also no more untouchables in Gurmat! Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Edited by Jacfsing2
4 people like this

Guruji makes it this clear for us:

ਰਾਗੁ ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ਚਉਪਦੇ ਘਰੁ ੧

रागु भैरउ महला ३ चउपदे घरु १

Rāg bẖairo mėhlā 3 cẖa▫upḏe gẖar 1

Rag Bhairo 3rd Guru. Chaupadas.

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ੴ

सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

There is but one God. By the True Guru's grace, He is obtained.

ਜਾਤਿ ਕਾ ਗਰਬੁ ਨ ਕਰੀਅਹੁ ਕੋਈ ॥

जाति का गरबु न करीअहु कोई ॥

Jāṯ kā garab na karī▫ahu ko▫ī.

No one should be proud of his caste.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਿੰਦੇ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਹੋਈ ॥੧॥

ब्रहमु बिंदे सो ब्राहमणु होई ॥१॥

Barahm binḏe so barāhmaṇ ho▫ī. ||1||

He alone is a Brahman who knows his Lord.

ਜਾਤਿ ਕਾ ਗਰਬੁ ਨ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖ ਗਵਾਰਾ ॥

जाति का गरबु न करि मूरख गवारा ॥

Jāṯ kā garab na kar mūrakẖ gavārā.

O stupid fool, be thou not proud of thy caste.

ਇਸੁ ਗਰਬ ਤੇ ਚਲਹਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਵਿਕਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

इसु गरब ते चलहि बहुतु विकारा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Is garab ṯe cẖalėh bahuṯ vikārā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

From this pride many sins well up. Pause.

ਚਾਰੇ ਵਰਨ ਆਖੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ॥

चारे वरन आखै सभु कोई ॥

Cẖāre varan ākẖai sabẖ ko▫ī.

Every one says there are four castes.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਿੰਦ ਤੇ ਸਭ ਓਪਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥

ब्रहमु बिंद ते सभ ओपति होई ॥२॥

Barahm binḏ ṯe sabẖ opaṯ ho▫ī. ||2||

But they all proceed from the Lord's seed.

ਮਾਟੀ ਏਕ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥

माटी एक सगल संसारा ॥

Mātī ek sagal sansārā.

The whole world is made out of one clay.

ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਘੜੈ ਕੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰਾ ॥੩॥

बहु बिधि भांडे घड़ै कुम्हारा ॥३॥

Baho biḏẖ bẖāʼnde gẖaṛai kumĥārā. ||3||

But the Potter has fashioned it into vessels of many sorts.

ਪੰਚ ਤਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਦੇਹੀ ਕਾ ਆਕਾਰਾ ॥

पंच ततु मिलि देही का आकारा ॥

Pancẖ ṯaṯ mil ḏehī kā ākārā.

Meeting together, the five elements make up the body's form.

ਘਟਿ ਵਧਿ ਕੋ ਕਰੈ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥੪॥

घटि वधि को करै बीचारा ॥४॥

Gẖat vaḏẖ ko karai bīcẖārā. ||4||

No one can say that any element is less in one and more in another.

ਕਹਤੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹੁ ਜੀਉ ਕਰਮ ਬੰਧੁ ਹੋਈ ॥

कहतु नानक इहु जीउ करम बंधु होई ॥

Kahaṯ Nānak ih jī▫o karam banḏẖ ho▫ī.

Says Nanak, this soul is fettered by its acts.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭੇਟੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੫॥੧॥

बिनु सतिगुर भेटे मुकति न होई ॥५॥१॥

Bin saṯgur bẖete mukaṯ na ho▫ī. ||5||1||

Without meeting the True Guru, it is emancipated not.

SGGS Ji Ang 1127 & Ang 1128

?? Dhan Guru Amar Das Ji

Edited by simran345
2 people like this

What was this suppose to be?

What was this suppose to be?

Bumped the thread, as I added Gurbani to it.

2 people like this

I hope people take home lessons from this thread.

That there are many people deeply invested in, and vehemently practicing casteism amongst us, that such people come in all shapes and guises, including those who consider themselves Amritdhari. And we should be under no illusion that this is some small minority. Despite some of these people's claims to the contrary, their beliefs effect their attitudes and behaviour towards those they deem beneath them - sometimes blatantly, sometimes more subtly. Behaviour and attitudes that would disgust anyone with even a smattering of humanity isn't uncommon from these casteists.

The problems we have with some people leaving the faith; or mistrust between castes; or people reacting to consistent, boorish, negative behaviour by forming their own Gurdwaras stems from this. People not wanting to be stuck in a Khalistan where such people would be able to dominate unhindered, also influences attitudes towards the idea of Sikh self-rule.

That's the hard truth.

Casteists are not practicing some harmless preservation of some perceived ethnic/tribal identity as they often claim, but causing all manner of havoc in Sikh society, ultimately making it weaker and weaker.

Don't tolerate it or the excuses made for it.

Edited by dallysingh101
3 people like this