Help? Self Harming More Now Than I Was Before Sikhi

Guest Singhni

I can't stress how much regular physical training (daily if possible) can help combat depression. Getting started is probably the biggest obstacle. Especially as you typically feel physically drained as a consequence of the depression. You have to fight with the depression - go against it bit by bit.

What you should do is just commit to a single week to start with. Tell yourself: I'm going to do 30/45 mins every day for a week no matter what.

Choose whatever type of exercise you want.

Try it and see for yourself. It will help fight that exhausted feeling and release all kinds of good chemicals into your system.

I can stress how much regular physical training (daily if possible) can help combat depression. Getting started is probably the biggest obstacle. Especially as you typically feel physically drained as a consequence of the depression. You have to fight with the depression - go against it bit by bit.

What you should do is just commit to a single week to start with. Tell yourself: I'm going to do 30/45 mins every day for a week no matter what.

Choose whatever type of exercise you want.

Try it and see for yourself. It will help fight that exhausted feeling and release all kinds of good chemicals into your system.

Going on from what Dally Paji has said, this link maybe of interest:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/exercise-for-depression.aspx

This link advises for those with different lifestyles and disabled people also :

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/Activelifestyle.aspx

As always, if one has a health condition, then to contact your doctor before starting any excercise plan and to ask about exercises for your particular health condition.

Guest Guest

It seems as though you’re stuck in some sort of limbo whereby you’re full of numbness and you seem to be constantly battling yourself to get back up but at the same time you tell yourself that you aren’t worthy of getting back up, and that there isn’t any point.

There is. Each individual is special, including you, and you know that don’t you? Maharaj blessed you with Amrit!

But if you really are in this limbo-sort-of-state, or if you are feeling lost at the moment, I know that by saying you are special, won’t have much effect on you, will it?

So what was the purpose of you writing to the Sangat if there’s nothing we can give you? You see, you won’t get much out of our responses, but you will get something out of talking about what is hurting you. The fact that you wrote this post is a huge step forward from your months of thinking about death. You don’t want to commit suicide? You don’t want to live any longer? So why are you? Because deep down, you’re still in there - deep down, you do not want those things. You took a huge step to your Guru when you took Amrit because you had that pyaas, yes? And so if you really, truly were headstrong about taking your valuable soul, you would have already done so.

I’m not saying that you should stop feeling sorry for yourself - that will come with time. I am saying that you are simply lost because you think you don’t want life, but you do! And that means something! You say you don’t see anything to live for? No one knows what their future has in store for them! You need to try your best to lean out of that mind set, and make the present worth living for.

You may not be depressed; that isn’t something we can determine. However seeking help, or someone to talk to is not a sign of weakness.

I personally feel as though what others have said about exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, or go ahead with a personal hobby of yours is one of the best things you can do to help yourself.

Remember, it can’t get any worse than this. You will come out of this ‘state’ and you will fall in love with your Guru again. And by going through this, you will have learnt so much more about yourself and you will be happier. There are so many things to look forward to in your life; you can focus on that to help you through now, or deal with the present, day by day and let the future come to you.

Once you are content with yourself, you’ll be ready to start your Gursikhi Jeevan life (or you’ll be ready to ‘get laid’, you know, it’s all up to you really)

I’m sorry to be finger pointing a lot here, but sometimes it is needed. Just know that you are not alone, and don’t ever block any of your close ones away. Keep in contact with them, and if you haven’t already, try to slowly open up to maybe just one person you feel you can. The support will help you a lot more than you think, even if it’s just that someone you care about knows what you’re going through.

If you still feel the same, reply to this message. If you don’t feel the same, reply still. We all need to rant once in a while.

And lastly, I know you know this, but I will say this anyway. Waheguru is always with you; take one step forward, and your Guru Ji will take many more towards you.

I don’t know anything, I am only trying to help. Please forgive me for any mistakes.­­­­

It seems as though you’re stuck in some sort of limbo whereby you’re full of numbness and you seem to be constantly battling yourself to get back up but at the same time you tell yourself that you aren’t worthy of getting back up, and that there isn’t any point.

There is. Each individual is special, including you, and you know that don’t you? Maharaj blessed you with Amrit!

But if you really are in this limbo-sort-of-state, or if you are feeling lost at the moment, I know that by saying you are special, won’t have much effect on you, will it?

So what was the purpose of you writing to the Sangat if there’s nothing we can give you? You see, you won’t get much out of our responses, but you will get something out of talking about what is hurting you. The fact that you wrote this post is a huge step forward from your months of thinking about death. You don’t want to commit suicide? You don’t want to live any longer? So why are you? Because deep down, you’re still in there - deep down, you do not want those things. You took a huge step to your Guru when you took Amrit because you had that pyaas, yes? And so if you really, truly were headstrong about taking your valuable soul, you would have already done so.

I’m not saying that you should stop feeling sorry for yourself - that will come with time. I am saying that you are simply lost because you think you don’t want life, but you do! And that means something! You say you don’t see anything to live for? No one knows what their future has in store for them! You need to try your best to lean out of that mind set, and make the present worth living for.

You may not be depressed; that isn’t something we can determine. However seeking help, or someone to talk to is not a sign of weakness.

I personally feel as though what others have said about exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, or go ahead with a personal hobby of yours is one of the best things you can do to help yourself.

Remember, it can’t get any worse than this. You will come out of this ‘state’ and you will fall in love with your Guru again. And by going through this, you will have learnt so much more about yourself and you will be happier. There are so many things to look forward to in your life; you can focus on that to help you through now, or deal with the present, day by day and let the future come to you.

Once you are content with yourself, you’ll be ready to start your Gursikhi Jeevan life (or you’ll be ready to ‘get laid’, you know, it’s all up to you really)

I’m sorry to be finger pointing a lot here, but sometimes it is needed. Just know that you are not alone, and don’t ever block any of your close ones away. Keep in contact with them, and if you haven’t already, try to slowly open up to maybe just one person you feel you can. The support will help you a lot more than you think, even if it’s just that someone you care about knows what you’re going through.

If you still feel the same, reply to this message. If you don’t feel the same, reply still. We all need to rant once in a while.

And lastly, I know you know this, but I will say this anyway. Waheguru is always with you; take one step forward, and your Guru Ji will take many more towards you.

I don’t know anything, I am only trying to help. Please forgive me for any mistakes.­­­­

I like the way this is written. When I was reading this, in some places I was thought I was reading my own writings lol.

Good reply, and nicely paragraphed with good flowing sentences.

• 1 year later...
Guest Fromsomeonelikeyou

Find a doctor, and get help. I was also depressed earlier in life and wanted to die, and honestly I can say medication is probably one of the reasons I'm doing better now. I'm happy I chose to seek help. I enjoy the things in life I once couldn't enjoy and I started experiencing new and fun things. Some people would say you don't need medication, but you wouldn't say that to someone with cancer or a stab wound. God created these mental disorders but he also created the medication needed to help treat them, he could of easily put you in a time period where there was no treatment or talk about mental disorders so think about that and don't shy from medication. They might not cure it, but they will help motivate you and help you through rough times till things get better. Just survive!!! things will get better eventually. Coming from someone who felt the same as you a little over a year, ago and is happier than he's ever been in life, after being depressed for years.