What is meditation?

This was a question haunting a small boy. Their parents were  at wit's end, as they could not explain it in a simple language the boy could comprehend.

Once the family went  to visit Shri Ramana Maharishi. The boy put forward his question to Ramana Maharishi.

Shri Ramana laughed to himself. Then with smiling face, he asked his devotee to serve  the boy dosa from the kitchen.

So, on a plain leaf, a dosa was served. Shri Ramana looked at the boy and said:
" Now I will say "Hmm"

Then only you should start eating. Then again I will say "hmm" After that no piece of dosa should be left on your plate."

The boy agreed. He was so excited. Others were watching expectantly.  Now the boy  was eagerly waiting for the signal by looking at Shri Ramana's face.

When he gave the signal "hmm" the boy started eating. Now his attention was on Shri Ramana. He wanted to finish dosa before the signal. The boy was eating dosa in a hurry , tearing big chunks of dosa,  but, all the time keeping his attention on Shri Ramana. The dosa was reducing in size gradually. There was a small piece left. The boy was looking anxiously  at Shri Ramana for the second signal. The moment he gave the  signal, the boy immediately put the dosa in his mouth.

Now Shri Ramana asked him " where was your attention till now? On me or on Dosa?"

The boy replied " On both"

Shri Ramana said" Yes. You were actively involved in finishing dosa, with your attention on me. You were not distracted at all.
Like this when you do your daily activities with your attention or thoughts  on God in the back ground, it is known as meditation."

The two signals "hmm" are birth & death.

Within these two events, one can engage in meditation, as demonstrated by Shri Ramana Maharishi.

But to understand this we all need divine grace to mellow & mature.

We all differ from each other, and hence, take different time to comprehend the great truths.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

READ IT AGAIN AND AGAIN

You can have flaws, be anxious, and even be angry, but do not forget that your life is the greatest enterprise in the world. Only you can stop it from going bust.

Many appreciate you, admire you and love you. Remember that to be happy is not to have a sky without a storm, a road without accidents, work without fatigue, relationships without disappointments.

To be happy is to find strength in forgiveness, hope in battles, security in the stage of fear, love in discord. It is not only to enjoy the smile, but also to reflect on the sadness.

It is not only to celebrate the successes, but to learn lessons from the failures. It is not only to feel happy with the applause, but to be happy in anonymity. Being happy is not a fatality of destiny, but an achievement for those who can travel within themselves.

To be happy is to stop feeling like a victim and become your destiny's author. It is to cross deserts, yet to be able to find an oasis in the depths of our soul. It is to thank God for every morning, for the miracle of life.

Being happy is not being afraid of your own feelings. It's to be able to talk about you. It is having the courage to hear a "no". It is confidence in the face of criticism, even when unjustified. It is to kiss your children, pamper your parents, to live poetic moments with friends, even when they hurt us.

To be happy is to let live the creature that lives in each of us, free, joyful and simple. It is to have maturity to be able to say: "I made mistakes". It is to have the courage to say "I am sorry". It is to have the sensitivity to say, "I need you". It is to have the ability to say "I love you". May your life become a garden of opportunities for happiness ...

That in spring may it be a lover of joy. In winter a lover of wisdom. And when you make a mistake, start all over again. For only then will you be in love with life. You will find that to be happy is not to have a perfect life. But use the tears to irrigate tolerance.

Use your losses to train patience. Use your mistakes to sculptor serenity. Use pain to plaster pleasure. Use obstacles to open windows of intelligence.

Never give up .... Never give up on people who love you. Never give up on happiness, for life is an incredible show.

• Like 2

Such a wonderful read!!

This testimony has blown me apart.

May I live for Him alone not for the things of this world._

____     

_--In the interview by *Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren,_

Rick said:
--People ask me, What is the purpose of life?

--And I respond:
In a nutshell, life is preparation for eternity. We were not made to last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

--One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of my body-- but not the end of me.

--I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend trillions of years in eternity.
This is the warm-up act --the dress rehearsal. God wants us to practice on earth what we will do forever in eternity..

--We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense.

--Life is a series of problems:
Either you are in one now, OR you're just coming out of one, OR you're getting ready to go into another one.

--The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort; God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy.

--We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in the prophet (saw) likeness.

--No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on.

--And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

--You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems:

--If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, which is my problem, my issues, my pain. But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.

--We need to ask ourselves: Am I going to live for possessions? Popularity?

--Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness? Materialism?  am I going to be driven by God's purposes (for my life)?

--When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to know You more and love You better.

God didn't put me on earth just to fulfill a to-do list. He's more interested in what I am than what I do.

--That's why we're called human beings, not human doings.

--Happy moments, THANK GOD.
--Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
--Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
--Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
--Every moment, PRAISE GOD.

• Like 1