Why Nanaksar Ragiis Are Celibate

A story I heard somewhere.

Guru and chela walking to a destination. On their way, they came across a river. Just before they cross the river, they saw a young, beautiful lady waiting to cross the river. She asked for help. Though she was very sexy and dressed scantily, Guru never hesitated and carried her across the river. Chela was shocked to see the hypocrisy. Guru always told him to stay away from sex and other women, but when Guru got a chance, he readily carried her in his lap.

So anyway, their walk continued. Now chela was upset. Guru noticed his upset chela for couple of days and then asked him the reason why is he upset? Chela told him the reason.

Now Guru said," I carried her in my lap for few minutes because she needed help. I never cared her being young and beautiful. But listen, you have been carrying her in your mind for last two days."

Its a state of mind as these lines indicate

indrijeet panch dhokh te rehet

Nanak kot madhe ko easa apras

The person who will have conquered all his desires is going to be one in a million

I guess it is all got to do with the level one is on. If someone is completely devoted to Guru Ji they will be celibate. The updesh for everyone else is to live a Gristi jeevan until you are able to get over the 5 vices by devoting yourself to prayer.

Celibacy has been forced on older religions with not so good results. Guru ji has perhaps simplified our own lives for us with updesh for grisht jeevan so that we can make the most progress in the spiritual field.

If however there are souls who are higher than us - in that their needs are totally different to ours, in that they are absorbed in loads of simran perhaps Guru Ji prefers such souls to do his seva. Seva done this way will also serve as a pointer of a higher avasta to others.

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਗਾਲੈ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਕੰਚਨ ਸੋਹਾਗਾ ਢਾਲੈ ॥

Kām kroḏẖ kā­i­ā ka­o gālai. Ji­o kancẖan sohāgā dẖālai.

Lust and wrath wastes the body away, as borax melts gold. SGGS 932

ਭੋਗੀ ਕਉ ਦੁਖੁ ਰੋਗ ਵਿਆਪੈ ॥

Bẖogī ka­o ḏukẖ rog vi­āpai.

Painful diseases afflict those who are sexually promiscuous.

sggs page 1189

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜੀਅ ਮਹਿ ਚੋਟ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਚਲੇ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟ ॥੨॥

Kām kroḏẖ jī­a meh cẖot. Nām visār cẖalė man kẖot.॥2॥

Sexual desire and anger are the wounds of the soul.

The evil-minded ones forget the Naam, and then depart. ॥2॥

sggs page 152

Being celibate has its merits as well as demerits similar to a Grehasti.

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=5210&id=58534#bmb=1

Majority is neither Dharmi householder nor Attachment-free Bairaagi.

So people in Grey Area are classified as Abhaagi or unfortunate.

They might call themselves Householders or Renunciates but they are hypocrites.

I guess it is all got to do with the level one is on. If someone is completely devoted to Guru Ji they will be celibate. The updesh for everyone else is to live a Gristi jeevan until you are able to get over the 5 vices by devoting yourself to prayer.

This is your opinion, not Gurmat.

Which of our Gurus were celibate (exempting the eighth and eleventh patshaahs from this question for obvious reasons)? Which Guru did not live within grishti jeevan? How many of the great Gursikhs of our history, whose devotion to the Guru was beyond all reproach, were celibates?

The answers to these three questions are, respectively, none, none, and very, very few.

Sexual intercourse does not automatically equal lust. Our own Guru Sahibaan had children and they accomplished this using the traditional method. Will anyone dare to say that the Gurus, because they coupled with their wives, committed acts of lust? I think not. Lust is an obsessive preoccupation with matters of sex. Sikhi's opposition to lust is not a prohibition upon any and all sexual activity whatsoever.

Whatever works for the individual, I say. Just don't advocate celibacy and do the opposite behind closed doors. If it's too much for a person to handle, then get married and live the family way. You aren't a lesser Sikh for becoming a family man / woman; not at all. It's the "militant" lot who say stuff like, "You'll wander the earth as a restless spirit unless you get married" that do my nut in, lol.

Celibacy has been forced on older religions with not so good results. Guru ji has perhaps simplified our own lives for us with updesh for grisht jeevan so that we can make the most progress in the spiritual field.

If however there are souls who are higher than us - in that their needs are totally different to ours, in that they are absorbed in loads of simran perhaps Guru Ji prefers such souls to do his seva. Seva done this way will also serve as a pointer of a higher avasta to others.

Which ang do you find the advice for you first three sentences?

"If someone is completely devoted to Guru Ji they will be celibate."

This line is basically saying, if you get married (not stay celibate) you are not completely devoted to Guru ji. I guess Sant Jarnail Singh ji Khalsa was not completely devoted to Guru ji. Also Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji was not completely devoted to Guru ji because he did not stay celibate and was married.

The updesh for everyone else is to live a Gristi jeevan until you are able to get over the 5 vices by devoting yourself to prayer.

So by your standards the order was to live a householder lifestyle until the 5 vices are gone, but then what happens? Do you become celibate after the 5 vices are gone? Do you leave your family and join the Baba at the Nanaksar deras?

The perfect examples of two Sants who lived together yet took on different roles of the last several decades was Sant Baba Thakur Singh ji Khalsa and Sant Jarnail Singh ji Khalsa. The former was celibate, but adopted his children and gave his life in service. The latter did the same, but was married and had two children of his own. There is no special spiritual or religious place for celibate people. Its all made up to fool the local sangats to give their money.

At Nanaksar, 1st prakash is done around 2 am and bhog is done around 7 am. The idea is that during prakash Guru Sahib is in sitting posture for 5 hours, after that Guru Sahib retires to his Asana. Also people need to go to work after 7 am. So there is a limited time period for Darshana. Also when you have limited of something, you value it more.

And 2nd prakash is done again at 4 pm till 9 pm.

Baba Nand Singh Ji used to say Guru Sahib is Pargat Guran Ki Deh. They treated guru ji like a true king of all this creation and in pargat form. Its all about love and devotion. These jugtis are started by Mahapurush for the benefit of sansar.