• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramghariasingh

Why Nanaksar Ragiis Are Celibate

154 posts in this topic

can some one tell me why ragiis of nanaksar are celibate. also why they have diffrent maryada.

They have high standards. They aren't willing to settle for just anyone, lol.

3 people like this

http://www.philtar.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/nanak.html

It sort of seems to stem from Guru Nank Dev jis son ... Sri Chand who was also an udasi. Udasi's cannot marry because they live in forests. However they seem to have found their way as Bhai Nand Singh their founders was guided by the Guru's.

They do not light a fire in their Guradwara and their langar is prepared by people from home who bring it to serve in the Guradwara. They also have a very big lion face or skinned lion placed in the front of the Guru Granth Sahib in their Guradwaras.

The one we visited in India had an exhibition which was opened to the public only if they promise to jap a certain number of sukhmani or japji sahib dhe path. However on pooranmashi everyone could go in and have a look at what was in the hall.

2 people like this

Yes I have been to Nanaksar kaleran, and the Nanaksar sampardha have the utmost respect for Sri Guru Granth sahib ji.

The bahingams / monks as they are called - devote there whole life to the seva of maharaj ji, therefore have no worldly attachments - such as family / marriage etc

It's a devotional thing for Nanaksari Ragis. They don't get married to dedicate their entire life to Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which is a very admirable thing.

1 person likes this

can some one tell me why ragiis of nanaksar are celibate. also why they have diffrent maryada.

I know some Nanaksar Raagis, but they are not celibate and are not based in India.

Which parts of Rehat Maryada are you referring to?

Edited by simran345

"Ragiis (Monks): Our Ragiis are self-motivated, celibate and devoted to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, Sikh religion and Sant Baba Gurdev Singh Jee. The Ragiis of our organization live a very simple life under penance. We have lot of Ragiis in India at each Gurdwara but between 5-8 Ragiis in each Gurdwara outside India. The responsibilities of each Ragii is to offer prayer, religious discourse, sing praises of the Lord in the chantry, in the Assemblies of God, which run from 2.00 A.M. reveille (pre-dawn) to 9.00 P.M. taps with slight respite in the afternoon. Our Ragiis however travel from one Gurdwara to other at all times under instruction of Highest Monk Holy Saint Baba Gurdev Singh Jee. "

GURDWARA NANAKSAR - MARYADA I think this is what he was referring to.

Okji, but the ones in UK are not celibates.

2 people like this

Which parts of Rehat Maryada are you referring to?

having diffrent room for guru granth sahib ji. doing prakash of guru granth sahib ji twice. having guru nanak's picture in sachkhand. having no nishan sahib. singing kacchi bani.

having diffrent room for guru granth sahib ji. doing prakash of guru granth sahib ji twice. having guru nanak's picture in sachkhand. having no nishan sahib. singing kacchi bani.

Can you explain the Kacchi bani? (Everything else you said is correct from what I've heard.
1 person likes this

Can you explain the Kacchi bani? (Everything else you said is correct from what I've heard.

singing dharnas which are not from gurbani.
1 person likes this

As long as the meaning is not twisted up some people do sing dharnas from gurbani to get the message across to people while not sounding too religious.

Nanaksar however I would say offer the greatest inspiration to people who want to work and progress seriously in the religious/spiritual part of their lives. They simply want you to get down to reality and do maximum naam jap for yourself which is the only thing which is important. That is the whole purpose of us having been given this human body and sent down on this earth.

asa mehla 5 Bhei parapat Manukh dheriya in Rehras - the whole pauri which we are supposed to read everyday explains this clearly. Anything else we do is going to be of no use to us.

So which nanksar dharnaas exactly can you say are wrong?

Edited by sikhni777
2 people like this

So which nanksar dharnaas exactly can you say are wrong?

i am not saying dharnaas are wrong. i am just asking why they have diffrent maryada? why they do prakash of guru granth sahib ji twice? after asa di vaar why they close the doors of sachkhand?
1 person likes this

If they started the service at 2.00 a.m. then I suppose they may want to retire for some rest. So after their nitnem they do sukhasan. I am also assuming that in the days of war, that is probably what they did. As they may not want to leave Sri Guru Granth Sahib unattended when they are out at war.

It does leave he Guradwara visitors in a bit of a predicament to know that you are going to be visiting the guradwara and performing a mata tek when Sri Guru Granth Sahib is at sukhasan.

When we had to go out anywhere we used to perform sukhasan earlier than normal. Keeping in mind that they also do not cook at the premises, maybe that is why they perform sukhasan, however that cannot be a valid reason as sangat is always ready to do seva. Perhaps they dont want parkash when there is no ceremony going on. The best person who can explain the deeper reason maybe themselves.

if we look deeper into things then Guru has given each person a different hukam to follow. Baba Bhandha singh bahadur was given a different set of rules and Pande khan was given something else to follow. It may be that (Nanaksar) priests are simply at a different spiritual level than the rest of us. I was reading about the Buddist explanation on the stages of enlightenment. Even after initial enlightenment - the soul takes birth 7 times in order to purify itself more. These people have a reduced level of lust, moh, anger etc. They are able to remain celibate. Therefore Nanaksar maryada maybe more appropriate for their needs in order to attain full enlightenment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment

Edited by sikhni777
1 person likes this

singing dharnas which are not from gurbani.

We could say the same about Dhadi Vaarans; however, neither are Kachi bani.

i am not saying dharnaas are wrong. i am just asking why they have diffrent maryada? why they do prakash of guru granth sahib ji twice? after asa di vaar why they close the doors of sachkhand?

because SIkhi has never been a cookie cutter sikh kind of path , but one that accepts the journey is individual and unique but the path and method is the same .

1 person likes this

If they started the service at 2.00 a.m. then I suppose they may want to retire for some rest. So after their nitnem they do sukhasan. I am also assuming that in the days of war, that is probably what they did. As they may not want to leave Sri Guru Granth Sahib unattended when they are out at war.

It does leave he Guradwara visitors in a bit of a predicament to know that you are going to be visiting the guradwara and performing a mata tek when Sri Guru Granth Sahib is at sukhasan.

When we had to go out anywhere we used to perform sukhasan earlier than normal. Keeping in mind that they also do not cook at the premises, maybe that is why they perform sukhasan, however that cannot be a valid reason as sangat is always ready to do seva. Perhaps they dont want parkash when there is no ceremony going on. The best person who can explain the deeper reason maybe themselves.

if we look deeper into things then Guru has given each person a different hukam to follow. Baba Bhandha singh bahadur was given a different set of rules and Pande khan was given something else to follow. It may be that (Nanaksar) priests are simply at a different spiritual level than the rest of us. I was reading about the Buddist explanation on the stages of enlightenment. Even after initial enlightenment - the soul takes birth 7 times in order to purify itself more. These people have a reduced level of lust, moh, anger etc. They are able to remain celibate. Therefore Nanaksar maryada maybe more appropriate for their needs in order to attain full enlightenment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment

perhaps more gurdwarey who do not have their security sorted out should do similar.

2 people like this

To be a true bahangam, also found in puratan Sampardas one requires a very high avastha otherwise the mind will constantly falter and mistakes are made more readily than if living in Grist Jeevan. Many have fallen at the first hurdle - kaam. Respect to the ones who are controlling their urges and still managing seva of Guru Sahib with clean hearts.

4 people like this

Celibates only are allowed into the sach khand which is situated in Hazur Sahib. I think only they are allowed to go in and get the shastars of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. These are displayed in the evening. There is one particular person who is their leader and he is the one who goes in and fetches the weapons. No one else is allowed in there. So it seems like Guru Gobind Singh Ji has laid out some rules for only celibates to serve him at a closer level.

1 person likes this

A story I heard somewhere.

Guru and chela walking to a destination. On their way, they came across a river. Just before they cross the river, they saw a young, beautiful lady waiting to cross the river. She asked for help. Though she was very sexy and dressed scantily, Guru never hesitated and carried her across the river. Chela was shocked to see the hypocrisy. Guru always told him to stay away from sex and other women, but when Guru got a chance, he readily carried her in his lap.

So anyway, their walk continued. Now chela was upset. Guru noticed his upset chela for couple of days and then asked him the reason why is he upset? Chela told him the reason.

Now Guru said," I carried her in my lap for few minutes because she needed help. I never cared her being young and beautiful. But listen, you have been carrying her in your mind for last two days."

Its a state of mind as these lines indicate

indrijeet panch dhokh te rehet

Nanak kot madhe ko easa apras

The person who will have conquered all his desires is going to be one in a million

I guess it is all got to do with the level one is on. If someone is completely devoted to Guru Ji they will be celibate. The updesh for everyone else is to live a Gristi jeevan until you are able to get over the 5 vices by devoting yourself to prayer.

Celibacy has been forced on older religions with not so good results. Guru ji has perhaps simplified our own lives for us with updesh for grisht jeevan so that we can make the most progress in the spiritual field.

If however there are souls who are higher than us - in that their needs are totally different to ours, in that they are absorbed in loads of simran perhaps Guru Ji prefers such souls to do his seva. Seva done this way will also serve as a pointer of a higher avasta to others.

Edited by sikhni777
1 person likes this

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਗਾਲੈ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਕੰਚਨ ਸੋਹਾਗਾ ਢਾਲੈ ॥

Kām kroḏẖ kā­i­ā ka­o gālai. Ji­o kancẖan sohāgā dẖālai.

Lust and wrath wastes the body away, as borax melts gold. SGGS 932

ਭੋਗੀ ਕਉ ਦੁਖੁ ਰੋਗ ਵਿਆਪੈ ॥

Bẖogī ka­o ḏukẖ rog vi­āpai.

Painful diseases afflict those who are sexually promiscuous.

sggs page 1189

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜੀਅ ਮਹਿ ਚੋਟ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਚਲੇ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟ ॥੨॥

Kām kroḏẖ jī­a meh cẖot. Nām visār cẖalė man kẖot.॥2॥

Sexual desire and anger are the wounds of the soul.

The evil-minded ones forget the Naam, and then depart. ॥2॥

sggs page 152

1 person likes this

Being celibate has its merits as well as demerits similar to a Grehasti.

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=5210&id=58534#bmb=1

Majority is neither Dharmi householder nor Attachment-free Bairaagi.

So people in Grey Area are classified as Abhaagi or unfortunate.

They might call themselves Householders or Renunciates but they are hypocrites.

1 person likes this

I guess it is all got to do with the level one is on. If someone is completely devoted to Guru Ji they will be celibate. The updesh for everyone else is to live a Gristi jeevan until you are able to get over the 5 vices by devoting yourself to prayer.

This is your opinion, not Gurmat.

Which of our Gurus were celibate (exempting the eighth and eleventh patshaahs from this question for obvious reasons)? Which Guru did not live within grishti jeevan? How many of the great Gursikhs of our history, whose devotion to the Guru was beyond all reproach, were celibates?

The answers to these three questions are, respectively, none, none, and very, very few.

Sexual intercourse does not automatically equal lust. Our own Guru Sahibaan had children and they accomplished this using the traditional method. Will anyone dare to say that the Gurus, because they coupled with their wives, committed acts of lust? I think not. Lust is an obsessive preoccupation with matters of sex. Sikhi's opposition to lust is not a prohibition upon any and all sexual activity whatsoever.

Edited by Balkaar
2 people like this