In The Uk

Big_Tera

Is britian a racist country or becomming more that way? I have noticed that many south Asians in the uk choose to be self employed. This is because of a lack of opportunities and racism in recruitment for jobs. Many are turned away from jobs simply for being asian by white employers/managers.

Anyone experienced racism or difficulty getting up the career ladder due to race related issues?

Is britian a racist country or becomming more that way? I have noticed that many south Asians in the uk choose to be self employed. This is because of a lack of opportunities and racism in recruitment for jobs. Many are turned away from jobs simply for being asian by white employers/managers.

Anyone experienced racism or difficulty getting up the career ladder due to race related issues?

It's are hard to say, without direct evidence of it happening to somebody. The thing nobody will know just from an interview and being rejected. One of my relatives keeps getting rejected for jobs, even though experience is there and qualifications. Now I'm beginning to think whether it is a racism issue, that he's not progressing anywhere.

All the time .

I think that self-employment is the way to go if you're not one of those faces that fits with whites.

All the time .

I think that self-employment is the way to go if you're not one of those faces that fits with whites.

or even make a co-operative working group with pooling of multiple disciplines e.g. financial services , legal services, conveyancing, letting and property sales or one for health services counselling, chiroprator, dentist, homeopath, reiki, podiatrist, osteopath, doula

Is britian a racist country or becomming more that way?

Any country playing host to foreign immigrants (that's including us) is bound to have an element of discrimination amongst the indigenous population, whether it's conscious or otherwise. It's just human nature.

It's when good, decent people that want to get on with everyone and not makes waves, come up against attitudes and obstacles that are preventing them from attaining opportunities on the basis of their race, is when that sense of injustice begins to be felt.

My question is this: should we highlight these injustices and attempt to change the system, and in the process create more hostility towards us for daring to speak out, OR should we be determined to create our own opportunities and, in a way, put up barriers to ensure our own success?

There was always racism and possibly will be all over the world. Talking about Kenya which was a British colony, the black people there discriminate against the Asian community. However there are some who dont share that attitude and look at people based on their merits and demerits.

Every Sikh I know who has to work with the wider English or British population will have some complain. My brother himself admitted that people who are very friendly on the phone all over sudden turn defensive when faced with a turbaned sikh. People with degrees have given up looking for jobs after numerous failures.

However it all amounts to one thing - that you need to go look in the right place (possibly where there are some apne) and also work extra hard at applications. It may mean that interview techniques need to be handled carefully.

Places with lots of apne as customers will mean employers will readily employ turbaned Sikhs and ladies. Being confused with the muslims as well has largely contributed to this.

Racism is hard to define as it can be disguised under one blanket or another with the true reason never emerging. Therefore I think everyone is sort of learning to deal with it in their own particular manner and keep on with peaceful living. (As long as you dont get killed for being who you are)

Many people have dealt with it by trying to mask their true identity or just not knowing enough of who they are and why we are here. So we have those who think they are a part of whites, cut their hair and have adopted another culture. As the world mixes more and more, we may safely say it is not racism but has extended to be a culture clash to some degree. I am most comfortable among people similar to me, so will the natives be and view us as a threat ( or they just dont understand us)

If we dont work at understanding ourselves and explaining to them who we are, then we are indeed lost. Legs in two boats, like changing chameleons - it depends who are going to confront - you change your colours and show them what they want to see.

This interesting thread shows us that attacks on Sikhs and violence over employment issues aren't new. It's an article from 1907 America detailing a mob attacking Sikh workers (the article uses the term 'Hindu' which I think was used as a catch all term back then).

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/17615-long-before-they-were-apparent-muslims-sikhs-were-targeted-in-us/

Guest Jacfsing2

Every country has that degree of racism; however, what has been a problem is the global recession which causes nativist ideology for jobs. The fault isn't with the Employer, but with the way other minorities have shown themselves as well as the terrible economy. (If you can work exceptionally and for a relatively cheap pay you can get the job!).