Standing During Lava During Anand Karaj

khalsaman1

Gur Fateh Ji,

Could some high avasthi gursikh please explain the reason Sikh Rehat Maryada requires the Singh and Singhni to stand during the reciting of lava by the Granthi Singh Ji? Perhaps more importantly, why is this not strictly enforced by Gurdwara Sahibs in Punjab? Punjabi Sikhs tend to blame Western Sikhs for issues such as the marriage of Sikhs with non-Sikhs but when I brought this issue forward with a Gursikh in Punjab he said it was not required to stand during the recitation of lava and claimed that I was looking at either an altered copy of the Rehat Maryada or it has been "mistranslated" into English.

Note that section IV, Article XVIII clearly states the following:

After the conclusion of the recitation of each of the stanzas, the boy, followed by the girl holding the end of the sash, should go round the Guru Granth Sahib while the ragis or the congregation sing out the recited stanza. The boy and girl, after every circumambulation, should bow before the Guru Granth Sahib in genuflexion, lowering their forehead to touch the ground and then stand up to listen to the recitation of the next stanza. (Source: http://sgpc.net/sikh-rehat-maryada-in-english/)

Gur Fateh Ji.

Brother, best to find someone you can discuss this issue with one-on-one, because, from my experience, high-avastha Gursikhs don't spend their spare time loafing on internet forums like the rest of us.

This is actually not true Khalsa Ji.

There are many posters on this board who have been blessed. Some just don't know it yet.

Guest Jacfsing2

This is actually not true Khalsa Ji.

There are many posters on this board who have been blessed. Some just don't know it yet.

MisterrSingh does have a point. The average fellow on this forum aren't Mahapurukhs, (I'm probably the worst to give advice), there probably are some. The way you phrased the question could've been better.

MisterrSingh does have a point. The average fellow on this forum aren't Mahapurukhs, (I'm probably the worst to give advice), there probably are some. The way you phrased the question could've been better.

This forum is good for vichaar; the exchanging of opinions and sharing of ideas. For those who don't have access to sangat, it's essential IMO, as long as everyone's behaving in the correct spirit of obtaining knowledge.

Guest Jacfsing2

This forum is good for vichaar; the exchanging of opinions and sharing of ideas. For those who don't have access to sangat, it's essential IMO, as long as everyone's behaving in the correct spirit of obtaining knowledge.

I never said it was bad.

Then I'm certain you'll receive the answer to your question.

Waheguru exists in every being; however, only through Waheguru's will are some able to reach the spiritual stages. This is why a Sikh treats all beings with the utmost respect. Both of you are high avastha Sikhs compared to this moorakh.

Surely you would not have replied to this topic if you didn't have a take on the question so I'd love to hear it.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Taksal maryada says to sit. Many granthis are from Taksal background.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Thanks Singh. This is correct. I do not want to turn this into a "jatha debate" so I will not debate the merits of either approach. I'm just curious as to the reason the Singh and Singhni are asked to stand under Rehat Maryada.