Why Do We Have To Wear A Kachera?

Guest Curious

Guest Curious

So am just questioning things as I am a women trying to come into Sikhi. I don't usually question the Gurus hukam but why do we actually wear the Kachera? I know the typical answer is to control sexual desires and what not. To symbolise death, for practicality and that it should never leave our body completely and the whole one leg in and out e.t.c But I still question it why, my brother said i should stop questioning it and just accept it. But I just need an answer to be fair.

Guest Saroop Singh

Well.. you seem to allready know what the kachera is for lol. it may not seem like much but kachera is a huge blesing!

Aside from what you have mentioned, the kachera is a warrior thing. It's worn by gurus khalsa who is the army of god.

Just wear it a guru will bless you with sumat (understanding)

bhul chuk maaf :waheguru::waheguru:

Guest Jacfsing2

So am just questioning things as I am a women trying to come into Sikhi. I don't usually question the Gurus hukam but why do we actually wear the Kachera? I know the typical answer is to control sexual desires and what not. To symbolise death, for practicality and that it should never leave our body completely and the whole one leg in and out e.t.c But I still question it why, my brother said i should stop questioning it and just accept it. But I just need an answer to be fair.

I'm not a female so I won't pretend to know the "complaints" of females wearing a Kachera; but the reason we wear the Kachera is because of limiting lust. (Also they allow people to move faster in the face of battle than those who don't).

Guest Jacfsing2

Isn't lust a product of the mind, as opposed to something that's determined by a garment? I've worn one since I was 14 BTW, but I've never heard this 'lust' justification.

That's just what I've heard. (All the kakars have both practical and spiritual reasons). What do you think is the reason for wearing a Kachera?

That's just what I've heard. (All the kakars have both practical and spiritual reasons). What do you think is the reason for wearing a Kachera?

Back in the day, the battlefield reason was apt. I suppose it's been carried forward from then. If we were to begin questioning everything that had a precedent in those days that doesn't quite fit in with modern (and future) living, there wouldn't be much of a rehat left for us to follow, lol. I suppose it's a case of putting one's ego aside and following hukam.

• 2 weeks later...

My mum told me that once you take amrit then the Guru becomes your rakha as in he will be present with you at all times. Therefore you need to keep kachera with you at all times.

Then I was reading a sakhi where a lady got possessed by a spirit. They took her to some maha purakh who advised them to not bathe without their clothes on in the nadhi as in those days they did not have private bathrooms. Hence I just added 2 and 2 together and it did make sense in the spiritual sense of things.

Finally when you follow the Guru's teachings without question as Bhai Mardana did - he lifted up the cloth from the dead persons face and it was parshad. He lifted up the wet grass and did not care about his clothes and he received the Guru ship. These two incidents advise us to accept and obey the hukam without always raising questions and having doubts. Believe in Guruji as the pura Guru. Satgur mera puura. He knows everything that is why he has given us the best guidance which a parent can ever give to a child.

Amrit peevo sadha chir jeevo. He wants us to live forever.