Maharaja Ranjit Singh

BSingh87

Guest Jacfsing2

Why did Maharaja ranjit singh attack his own people (sikhs) who were known as 'misls' and conquer their lands? Also, what was Ranjit Singh's fascination over a stupid diamond, Koh-i-Noor diamond?

The Misls were already fighting among themselves ever since Banda Singh Bahadur became Shaheed, they reunited under Baba Deep Singh Ji to fight Abdali for attacking Harimandir Sahib, (they were only United by the Sikh faith, otherwise would go on to fighting each other). Ranjit Singh isn't some Sant who isn't attached to Maya, the diamond is just part of his moh and lobh. " ausqiq inMidAw nwih ijih kMcn loh smwin ] (1427-5)

ustat nindi-aa naahi jihi kanchan loh samaan.

One who is beyond praise and slander, who looks upon gold and iron alike

khu nwnk suin ry mnw mukiq qwih qY jwin ]14] (1427-5)

kaho naanak sun ray manaa mukat taahi tai jaan. ||14||

- says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ||14||" (Ang 1427 Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji). Not a fair way of judging him, (do you have any moh or lobh?)

The Misls were already fighting among themselves ever since Banda Singh Bahadur became Shaheed, they reunited under Baba Deep Singh Ji to fight Abdali for attacking Harimandir Sahib, (they were only United by the Sikh faith, otherwise would go on to fighting each other). Ranjit Singh isn't some Sant who isn't attached to Maya, the diamond is just part of his moh and lobh. " ausqiq inMidAw nwih ijih kMcn loh smwin ] (1427-5)

ustat nindi-aa naahi jihi kanchan loh samaan.

One who is beyond praise and slander, who looks upon gold and iron alike

khu nwnk suin ry mnw mukiq qwih qY jwin ]14] (1427-5)

kaho naanak sun ray manaa mukat taahi tai jaan. ||14||

- says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ||14||" (Ang 1427 Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji). Not a fair way of judging him, (do you have any moh or lobh?)

There is nothing wrong in judging someone's fault. It is stupid to be blind just because he was a Sikh.

Why did Maharaja ranjit singh attack his own people (sikhs) who were known as 'misls' and conquer their lands?

Because although Maharaja Ranjit Singh was a great man, he was not a great Sikh. His vain desire to establish himself as the emperor of all Sikhs blinded him to the republican spirit inherent in Sikhi.

This period in history was at once the Golden Age for the Sikh people and their lowest point, the moment in time when they were most detached from the values of their faith. The recently formed Sikh nobility was, towards the end of the misl period and throughout the Empire's brief existence, a degenerate body of individuals who placed their power and their legacies above all else - including Sikhi and Panthic Ekta (which is why competing Misls had few qualms about internecine war). Wearing the Sikh Saroop they partook of alcohol, kept harems and courtesans, and endlessly embroiled themselves in intrigue against one another. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did all of these things - he was typical of his social class.

Guest Jacfsing2

There is nothing wrong in judging someone's fault. It is stupid to be blind just because he was a Sikh.

I'd rather not judge others, especially since I'm not a righteous human being myself, (I'm not turning a blind eye, just saying I'm not the judge).