Guest Punjabi apprentice

Can Someone Please Translate These Punjabi Words?

Guest Punjabi apprentice

There are a few Punjabi words that I heard in movies / news / songs / TV but was wondering if you can share their meanings and their usage? Thanks in advance.

Aathan

Malook

Reejh

Rees

Gutt - wrist?

Veeni

Wang - bangle? It also means something like "like", e.g. "tere waang jhalla nahi ha"

Saak - rishta / relation?

Alhar / Alhare

Khundi

Rakaan

Vadda Dukki

Yab

Wah (jinni marji wah laa layo)

Tarhiya (tarhiya saja ke sohniye)

Siyaal

Cheen (Teri bhua da ni putt si diwaar cheen di)

There are a few Punjabi words that I heard in movies / news / songs / TV but was wondering if you can share their meanings and their usage? Thanks in advance.

Aathan - Evening

Malook - Delicate

Reejh - desire

Rees - Copy

Gutt - wrist? Or Hair plait

Veeni - Wrist

Wang - bangle? It also means something like "like", e.g. "tere waang jhalla nahi ha"

Saak - rishta / relation? - Marriage proposal

Alhar / Alhare - Youthful/Naive

Khundi - Walking stick with crooked handle

Rakaan - Don't listen to Honey Singhs songs

Vadda Dukki - someone who is very sad or big sufferer

Yab - (write the sentence it's in)

Wah (jinni marji wah laa layo) - Wonderful

Tarhiya (tarhiya saja ke sohniye) (stop watching romantic Punjabi movies)

Siyaal - Winter season

Cheen (Teri bhua da ni putt si diwaar cheen di) - ( why are you listening to chaklo raklo boring Punjabi songs )

• Like 1

Guest Punjabi apprentice

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to answer my queries. I've few more words in bold, if someone can help? Thanks in advance :-)

yab te odo painda ha (me luk luk ke milan da yab he muka dena hai)

jinni marji wah laa layo (mere naal kadi wah nahi paya)

tikkchar
sanu bhora aas ni c
dukh mere to jarya nahi jaanda

tarhiya chatda firda raya

akk (me te nahi akka)

fufad tere de putt thaare si

Chandra / Chandri

saanu sauda nahi pugda

O jadon shareeke baazi (Shareek gaddi chad dene aa)

Haaye taareya vi teri jugni
Sai bohdaa waliya ve jugni

meetha lage tera bhana

Athre je shonk

Munda vailpune diyan chadhe paudiyan

Ulamba khatt lena hai, teri vailpune waali chaal ne

Rabh dhuron he bana ke bhejda hai

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to answer my queries. I've few more words in bold, if someone can help? Thanks in advance :-)

yab te odo painda ha (me luk luk ke milan da yab he muka dena hai)

jinni marji wah laa layo (mere naal kadi wah nahi paya)

tikkchar

sanu bhora aas ni c

dukh mere to jarya nahi jaanda

tarhiya chatda firda raya

akk (me te nahi akka)

fufad tere de putt thaare si

Chandra / Chandri

saanu sauda nahi pugda

O jadon shareeke baazi (Shareek gaddi chad dene aa)

Haaye taareya vi teri jugniSai bohdaa waliya ve jugni

meetha lage tera bhana

Athre je shonk

Munda vailpune diyan chadhe paudiyan

Ulamba khatt lena hai, teri vailpune waali chaal ne

Rabh dhuron he bana ke bhejda hai

You are asking song/movie lyrics, be better if you look them up yourself on Google. That way you will learn better and more, rather than taking the easy route of somebody else doing it for you. Edited by simran345

Yab is basically a hassle.

Wah in that context is like panga, as in conflict/enemity

Bhora aas is "no/little expectation"

Jarya=too bear, as in "i cant bear the pain"

Vailpune= gangsterism

Dhuron=distance?

Shareek is basically "enemy" now lol.

Akk, if you mean what i think you do, tired/fed up

Bhana as in bhaana? As in ones will.

Khat, to get/bring, sort of

Some i dont get, due to english spelling, others are bit more difficult to explain in Punjabi.

Guest vinay

Metho kitne apne Joonde na patwaa li...ka meaning Bata do----from the movie  vekh barataan chaliyaan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• @Akalifauj you are alway trynna start a fight man. Like the post above just summed it up but read this  Bhul chuk maaf 
    • I think u misunderstood what he was trying to say. Whatever ur saying that’s true back in those days gursikhs needed bir ras coz they use to do jungs but what taksaldasingh was saying is nowadays we don’t use bir Ras like we don’t go and have wars but if someone gets bir Ras by doing these baniya and don’t use it thn it’s outcome is what we call anger in negative ways and that’s what we try to avoid. I’ve heard some people who do bir Ras baniya just to balance that they also do sukhmani sahib as it’s for peace of mind.. I hope u understood the point.. 
    • Word Wahhabi brings up a lot of things too like Ban on Music/Qawwali , complete adherence to sharia ,enforcement of Burka on women , appliance of sharia law in muslim countries . But my point was Mr Doaba did not specifically talked about it. As far as Jihad is concerned well, it should not come across as a surprise it is considered as sixth pillar of Islam. Wahhabis put more emphasis on this pillar , they give two option to non muslims/govt either convert to Islam or give up your right to rule. And believe me many Muslims like myself have problem with it but it becomes difficult to argue with Wahhabis because they have entire collection of hadith to back up their claim. My personal take on this issue is unless there is complete reformation of Islam along the lines of Christian reformation in Europe , world will continue to suffer and i think it needless to say that vast majority of victims of this jihad are Muslims themselves. 70 thousand Pakistanis have been killed since 9/11 by the same wahhabi/debandi followers.
    • Sometimes we forget to place the blame of bad dreams on our late night desserts. I noticed a significant improvement when I stopped eating chocolate late evening.  Sugar sort of activates our mind to work faster when asleep.  So anyone having bad dreams will want to get rid of extra sugary meals first. However I have experienced alot of what that guy talks about. So I am still exploring my dreams.  But yes dreams change when you miss your daily path and improve when you increase simran.  Our spirit is awake and in danger, why else would we want rakheya dhe shabad. We should pray to God for protection many times a day I believe.  The dark areas in your life or rather dark thoughts do reflect back in dreams.  The pure you try to keep your thoughts,  the better the dreams get.  It is only naam that purifies thoughts. I was reading another article which was saying that we can be building houses in our dreams.  Whatever we get on earth we have to obtain it spiritually first. Performing path enables us to build a better life.  I remember a time when I was able to perform lots of simran and had dreams of houses.  Its the same house most of the time.  There were dark forces lingering around at the start of the dream.  However that same house changes quite a lot. It became cleaner, brighter and full of more beautiful things with added simran and path. One of my colleagues once just walked up to me and said Hey there Ihad a dream of yyou having built a big fenced house with a swimming pool in it. My jaws dropped wide open and I wondered how she knew.  Yes, so path is powerful and is our guide and protector when we are asleep.  The punj baniya, rehras and Kirtan sohila are there for a very important reason.