Activities For Youngsters

Big_Tera

Any advice on activities for youngsters ie age 10-12 and for both girls and boys?

In todays modern world. Kids this age dont go out and play with their friends like they use to because of the dangers outside or because of parents afraid for the safety of their kids. They are spending way to much time at home on their computers which I dont think is healthy.

But What activities are good for kids. ie I was thinking of Karate lessons as this is a good way for kids to develop confidence and also make new friends maybe and also music lessions.

Any ideas would be a great help as Im not that experienced with this and need some ideas for a family member.

Walking - go down to local nature spots , historical places learn a little , enjoy the fresh air , hard to text in a forest when you have to watch out for roots and branches

swimming- vital life skill not given much emphasis in schools these days

running clubs- if you have a local track check out if they have one for the kids or taster of track sports

boxing- old style gyms are losing clients to generic gyms and can be a cheap nonthreatening option for getting skills and coordination

local secondary - check out what sports and clubs they run in their gym space , often wide variety of things , racquet sports, martial arts,football , netball, hockey , athletics etc

Walking - go down to local nature spots , historical places learn a little , enjoy the fresh air , hard to text in a forest when you have to watch out for roots and branches

swimming- vital life skill not given much emphasis in schools these days

running clubs- if you have a local track check out if they have one for the kids or taster of track sports

boxing- old style gyms are losing clients to generic gyms and can be a cheap nonthreatening option for getting skills and coordination

local secondary - check out what sports and clubs they run in their gym space , often wide variety of things , racquet sports, martial arts,football , netball, hockey , athletics etc

walking in nature spots In this weather? :yay:

But yeh thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of something sport related to get them more fit aswell as building their confidence. its more difficult with finding things for girls though. As they are not that sporty.

But yeh thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of something sport related to get them more fit aswell as building their confidence. its more difficult with finding things for girls though. As they are not that sporty.

don't knock it Madam Isher Kaur was running around up and down the hill squelching through the mud last weekend with us and she' only 7 ... she wants to grow up and be a superhero / power ranger (only ever seen them once at coz's) and beat up all the baddies . She does Jujitsu at my son's old secondary this is the trad Japanese one , they also teach ninjitsu skills too to the kids and they go for the internal balance control aspect. Before that she tried out street dance , ballet (boring) and dropped ballet as soon as she started jujitsu loves it ...Thing is multi- angled approach is best a little of everything , our local park has a boating lake and she will be offered sailing classes at school , which her bros did too alongside trying out loads of different sports .

If you waited for the perfect weather in this country you would never get out and about , just have the correct clothing and you'll be OK besides they need a reality check the world can be wet, cold and miserable just remind them that there are people who have no choice but to endure it and to be grateful of the blessing Guru ji have given them ...yeah I look for ALL the teachable moments I can , youth is short and their attention span shorter :biggrin2:

p.s. Girls secretly would love to knock someone's block off but are told to be 'nice' we need to nurture the warrior in them remember it is not Princess but Kanwar Prince that Kaur means ...

Wrap up warm when it's cold. Walking is excellent. Training the kid to observe details, getting their fitness up, etc, it'll all come in use when they're older. I wish someone had taken me hiking when I was a kid, but there wasn't that vibe when I was a kid; plus there was nobody to take me, lol. Now, I truly feel at peace when I'm outdoors, somewhere leafy and a bit off-road, breathing the air. It's great.

I managed kids around same age group you mentioned. Most of the kids are addicted with technology a lot. The reason? It is because parents (including me) get their "non-hassle" time from their kids when they just give them the remote and/or ipad/phone to keep them busy.

What kids are generally interested in :-

1. Karate of any kind is just a perfect sport for them. We have 3 karate class in a week @ our place for roughly about 20 kids.

2. Sports - They are only interested if they can find someone to play with (same age group) but not with siblings.

3. Trips or camps.

4. If you have non-religious kids then it is hard to get them enrolled in or get them interested in kirtan class.

5. Boxing class is also good choice.

As long as you think of something to get them out of their house and away from technology then all is good :)

I managed kids around same age group you mentioned. Most of the kids are addicted with technology a lot. The reason? It is because parents (including me) get their "non-hassle" time from their kids when they just give them the remote and/or ipad/phone to keep them busy.

What kids are generally interested in :-

1. Karate of any kind is just a perfect sport for them. We have 3 karate class in a week @ our place for roughly about 20 kids.

2. Sports - They are only interested if they can find someone to play with (same age group) but not with siblings.

3. Trips or camps.

4. If you have non-religious kids then it is hard to get them enrolled in or get them interested in kirtan class.

5. Boxing class is also good choice.

As long as you think of something to get them out of their house and away from technology then all is good :)

we try to pick hols which have little 'hassles' with wi-fi so it isn't worth it ...and they notice the great outdoors with its shorelines , rockpools, ancient ruins , wildlife etc just because of the all-consuming gravitational pull of the rectangular screens ...of myriad sizes ...

you could sell the boxing one to the girls on the ropeskills alone ...it just looks so cool to go through a whole routine without falter.