Coping With Infertility

Guest hsingh

Guest hsingh

Just a quick update, so the initial treatment was unsuccessful and we start IVF next month. I would say its getting easier with time, and we're especially appreciating what we do have rather focusing on what we don't have. The universe is a big and beautiful place and we are just a insignificant part of it so why worry. 

Adoption has been mentioned and we did look into orphanages in Punjab, not sure how it works but we feel a bit uncomfortable choosing a child over there and giving them a better life yet leaving the other kids behind so we agreed to do more for orphan kids over there rather than just adopt only one.

Its a great shame theres not much mention/support in our community of such issues. I was speaking to a Jewish friend who mentioned that the jewish community in london have support groups at the synagogue to help with those who have gone through miscarriages/infertility/death of a partner/adoption etc.... 

Waheguru

Guest SinghB

I have several of my friends who are going thru this painful journey. Typical Punjabi family survives on family support (not always but most of the time). 

The 'Sikh' support group is non-exiting as our community tends to bury such things under the carpet.

Fertility such as ivf treatment needs a big support from those who been thru such programs. 

One of my friend went thru expensive IVF program but it was not successful. Support is needed from all sides- family first then friends and then sangat.

I also strongly believe that all type of support will be only achieved from Waheguru ji. 

Bhaenji above mentioned that we need to trust and obey maharaj's hukam.

In reply to the above two posts of HSingh Ji and SinghB Ji, you are right Gurdwaras do not offer this support service, but it's the same with any other issue, the support just isn't there in our community. 

I came across this, not sure if it be of help to anybody though, but I'll put it on. 

http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com/support/support_groups_6/england_wales

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not sure I'd want it to be, bhenji, especially with the Punjabi trait of chugliyan, lol. 

Maybe it's about time there was some change then.  Because I'm sick of tired of hearing that same old chuglian dialogue Paji. 

May wake up a few people to reality too, as what's there to be so proud about doing chuglian of people not being able to have kids or those that have problems. 

This backwards desi thinking of treating childless couples differently needs to stop and where better to start than the Gurdwara? 

The chuglian wale need to learn from it too. 

On August 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Guest hsingh said:

Just a quick update, so the initial treatment was unsuccessful and we start IVF next month. I would say its getting easier with time, and we're especially appreciating what we do have rather focusing on what we don't have. The universe is a big and beautiful place and we are just a insignificant part of it so why worry. 

Adoption has been mentioned and we did look into orphanages in Punjab, not sure how it works but we feel a bit uncomfortable choosing a child over there and giving them a better life yet leaving the other kids behind so we agreed to do more for orphan kids over there rather than just adopt only one.

Its a great shame theres not much mention/support in our community of such issues. I was speaking to a Jewish friend who mentioned that the jewish community in london have support groups at the synagogue to help with those who have gone through miscarriages/infertility/death of a partner/adoption etc.... 

Waheguru

Having gone through a similar situation, I would say that there is no support from the community at all. If anything, people will make you feel worse. My best support were the online discussion forums where I could talk to others in the same situation, and of course having faith in Waheguruji helps the most. 

Wishing you good luck with your IVF cycle! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2016 at 5:07 AM, BibaKaur said:

Having gone through a similar situation, I would say that there is no support from the community at all. If anything, people will make you feel worse. My best support were the online discussion forums where I could talk to others in the same situation, and of course having faith in Waheguruji helps the most. 

Wishing you good luck with your IVF cycle! 

same here I wish you both strength  and patience but you can help yourselves by looking closely at your diet and eliminate all processed foods and max out on fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds for healthy fats   to help with folates and other vital nutrients. 

• 3 months later...

Hi there I am going through the same thing was wondering if the couple were able to conceive? This year my husband and I havd had 3 failed fertility treatment s including ivf last week. We have both just decided to leave it in god's hands now to decide if we will be blessed with children.   

• 2 weeks later...

hi there nnkd,

just randomly looked back at this thread today and noticed your post. Crazy how quick a year has gone.

We completed our first cycle of ivf 4 weeks ago but it was unsuccessful. This was a nhs cycle so from now on we will have to fund any future ivf ourselves. Seeing another negative on the stick was pretty devastating, we only had 1 embryo transferred which was grade 1 but it just didn't happen. We're taking a break from it for a few months and then possibly going to try again.  

listening to kirtan and paath helps a lot and does sooth the hurt, but i tend to come back to earth with a bump when around others. 

IVF only has a 33% chance of success per cycle so don't be disheartened and don't forget to live/love your life and hopefully things will work out for you and your partner.