Guest hsingh

Coping With Infertility

26 posts in this topic

hi all was wondering if anyone could help or has been through the same thing.

myself and my wife are both approaching our 30's and of course everyone is asking the big question 'when are you going to have a baby'

we been trying unsuccessfully for a while and are now seeking treatment at the hospital.

the question is less to do with what can i do so god listens to my prayers to have a baby, but more to do how do i control my vices. Typical when I get asked about having kids I can't control my anger and lash out as I'm reluctant to tell people whats going on behind the scenes.

Secondly I'm struggling to control my jealousy as it seems every person and their dog seems to be pregnant and having babies.

I accept that having a blessing such as a baby is in gods will and will happen when its meant to be. But i just don't want it to change who I am as a person whilst we're waiting for the blessing to arrive.

myself and my wife are both approaching our 30's and of course everyone is asking the big question 'when are you going to have a baby'

we been trying unsuccessfully for a while and are now seeking treatment at the hospital.

the question is less to do with what can i do so god listens to my prayers to have a baby, but more to do how do i control my vices. Typical when I get asked about having kids I can't control my anger and lash out as I'm reluctant to tell people whats going on behind the scenes.

Secondly I'm struggling to control my jealousy as it seems every person and their dog seems to be pregnant and having babies.

I accept that having a blessing such as a baby is in gods will and will happen when its meant to be. But i just don't want it to change who I am as a person whilst we're waiting for the blessing to arrive.

Try to look at those that don't have children and how they cope with life. There are many in that position or have been through the same emotions and thoughts and you, but have children at a late age or not at all. It is Waheguru also that helps one through this, so who better to turn to for help in dealing with it? If the blessing of a child is in Gods will, then so is having the strength, patience and to deal with it.

You are more likely to get this understanding from seeing those in similar situations as you.

The unique homes children are a reminder that they came into this world, but don't even know who their parents are.

There's no need to tell anybody anything personal, you just need the strength to be able to change the emotions, and not worry about not being excepted by society because one does not have children.

On the positive side in your situation you are seeking treatment at a hospital, so there is hope in that. 30 isn't really that old, there's women that go past 40 and have similar problems. I know a lady who had a baby at 50, after giving up hope, so don't let it get you down.

Be stress free for yourself and your wife as you don't want this to reflect on any treatment. Seek professional advice if you need help with it.

1 person likes this

Jealousy and Anger are just thoughts. If u can catch these thoughts as they occur, you can avoid reacting in anger.

This is difficult to do at first because reaction is really fast but if u start realizing even after youve reacted: like ive just let anger win or let jeolousy consume me, then slowly u will start to recognize anger, jeolousy before it controls u. Then u will have to fight to subdue it. Sometimes u will lose because it feels good to lash out. But sometimes u will win. When thoughts of anger or jeolousy come dont be ashamed. We all have vices and they are powerful. But it is ur fault if u act on them or dwell on them. U r not ur thoughts.

Also when ppl ask when just tell them its all wahegurus bhana or when its the right time or some other vague, smug answer to send them on their way.

As per jeolousy, my mom used to say, no matter what we bring these kids fir vi dusare di cheej dekh ki halk pai janda (even if kids are well fed seeing others treats they go rabid) Your guru is samrath, capable of giving u many things, and he has given u lots of things so why like an orphan are u looking at other ppls things and coveting. Have sabar, patience, u will get it soon. Also one always notices what one lacks in other people. So tell similar things to ur mind to help it combat jealousy. For examply say, let others enjoy what they have, my mind, have bharosa my guru will give it to me too.

PS have u thought about adopting?

Edited by Not2Cool2Argue
2 people like this

A very good point made in the post above is to have a single answer that you can resort to whenever asked. Regardless of your personal situation, it's not a question that ever requires a direct answer.

You can keep the answer as vague or even suggest a broader mind in your answer as you wish. I don't suggest the answer be too flippant as you should not have to deal with negative energy. The answer should take little energy. People ask like robots, insensitively. Sometimes it's for conversation and greeting more than an answer. Forgive them for that failure and reciprocate with as little thought as they have put into it.

Your mind will magnify what is going on for other people because of your own situation.Keep in mind there are huge number of couples with similar challenges. Many good people struggle with the step prior, which is having a life partner. Other people also have behind the scenes personal struggles of all kinds, marriage, financial, health, trust issues, mental health, etc.

Sikh bonds and love are no where near blood or DNA. Don't restrain from enjoying and loving life and contributing to your community. Every one of us can imagine different circumstances. We are all blessed in different ways. You have honesty and insight about your own feelings. That will go a long ways in keeping positive.

1 person likes this

We went through a similar situation for 12 years. Everyone kept on asking us questions and we did feel down. However we just choose to ignore them. Approaching 35,I decided it did not matter anymore. The will of God was supreme. If he wished us to have a baby we will have one. My prayers just consisted of Tera kiya meetha laage. My mum in law pressured me into praying for a child. i just said yes all the time. I laughed off what people said - just took their comments lightly as jokes. We were taken to many places for a matha tek and prayers specifically for a child.

When we started relaxing, keeping cool, and stopped worrying - it was the best. That is when we were blessed. So the best is to relax, dont blame others or yourself and blessings will arrive soon. Pray for strength to get past the situation. Hopefully it should not last too long. Soon everything will be forgotten as you get busy with the little ones - then you will miss these carefree days and understand that the worrying and jealousy were just a big waste of time. You could have done better, coz kids keep you so busy. They literally just come and take over your life.

1 person likes this

I remember listening to Parmjit Singh Anandpur Wale recently and the first thing we should ask for from Maharaj is Darshan before worldly mangaa.

You're spot on, our Pralabadh Karams are what dictate these types of situations and as we have seen with Sarab Rog Ka Aukadh naam camps, anything is possible through massive naam abhyiaas, which is when Ardas is heard quicker.

1 person likes this

Many ppl including Gursikhs from the west have been to Hansali Sahib (Sant Baba Ajit Singh's asthaan) and asked for a child...today they all have been blessed with a child. i know of a Gursikh couple who tried everything medically possible but no avail. They did bentee at Hansali Sahib and today they have a child. Please go Hansali Sahib (near Fatehgarh Sahib) on any Thursday and do a bentee.

I myself have been through a tough time, I have been married for 10 years and children was never on the agenda until the last 2 years.  My husband and I never responded to anyone's comments.  I told my parents and in-laws that this is Mahraaj Jis Hukam, not theirs or the aunty asking a million questions.

Once I accepted Mahraaj Jis hukam and started to believe that they are doing what is right for and my husband, it wasn't long before I became pregnant.

We must be willing to accept Mahraaj Jis Hukam at all costs, even when it doesn't align with your own wants.  Be a good Gursikh, stay within Rehat and nothing will get you down.  Be in Chardikala :)

2 people like this

It might be that those of us who can have children look to adopt. And provide a loving home and care to a child who has no parents etc.

Its not seen if at all in many Sikh homes. But if we open our hearts a little whether or not we can have kids. But certainly an option for those who are infertile

1 person likes this

Just a quick update, so the initial treatment was unsuccessful and we start IVF next month. I would say its getting easier with time, and we're especially appreciating what we do have rather focusing on what we don't have. The universe is a big and beautiful place and we are just a insignificant part of it so why worry. 

Adoption has been mentioned and we did look into orphanages in Punjab, not sure how it works but we feel a bit uncomfortable choosing a child over there and giving them a better life yet leaving the other kids behind so we agreed to do more for orphan kids over there rather than just adopt only one.

Its a great shame theres not much mention/support in our community of such issues. I was speaking to a Jewish friend who mentioned that the jewish community in london have support groups at the synagogue to help with those who have gone through miscarriages/infertility/death of a partner/adoption etc.... 

Waheguru

1 person likes this

I have several of my friends who are going thru this painful journey. Typical Punjabi family survives on family support (not always but most of the time). 

The 'Sikh' support group is non-exiting as our community tends to bury such things under the carpet.

Fertility such as ivf treatment needs a big support from those who been thru such programs. 

One of my friend went thru expensive IVF program but it was not successful. Support is needed from all sides- family first then friends and then sangat.

I also strongly believe that all type of support will be only achieved from Waheguru ji. 

Bhaenji above mentioned that we need to trust and obey maharaj's hukam.

1 person likes this

In reply to the above two posts of HSingh Ji and SinghB Ji, you are right Gurdwaras do not offer this support service, but it's the same with any other issue, the support just isn't there in our community. 

I came across this, not sure if it be of help to anybody though, but I'll put it on. 

http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com/support/support_groups_6/england_wales

Edited by simran345

1 hour ago, simran345 said:

but it's the same with any other issue, the support just isn't there in our community. 

I'm not sure I'd want it to be, bhenji, especially with the Punjabi trait of chugliyan, lol. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not sure I'd want it to be, bhenji, especially with the Punjabi trait of chugliyan, lol. 

Maybe it's about time there was some change then.  Because I'm sick of tired of hearing that same old chuglian dialogue Paji. 

May wake up a few people to reality too, as what's there to be so proud about doing chuglian of people not being able to have kids or those that have problems. 

This backwards desi thinking of treating childless couples differently needs to stop and where better to start than the Gurdwara? 

The chuglian wale need to learn from it too. 

1 person likes this

On August 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Guest hsingh said:

Just a quick update, so the initial treatment was unsuccessful and we start IVF next month. I would say its getting easier with time, and we're especially appreciating what we do have rather focusing on what we don't have. The universe is a big and beautiful place and we are just a insignificant part of it so why worry. 

Adoption has been mentioned and we did look into orphanages in Punjab, not sure how it works but we feel a bit uncomfortable choosing a child over there and giving them a better life yet leaving the other kids behind so we agreed to do more for orphan kids over there rather than just adopt only one.

Its a great shame theres not much mention/support in our community of such issues. I was speaking to a Jewish friend who mentioned that the jewish community in london have support groups at the synagogue to help with those who have gone through miscarriages/infertility/death of a partner/adoption etc.... 

Waheguru

Having gone through a similar situation, I would say that there is no support from the community at all. If anything, people will make you feel worse. My best support were the online discussion forums where I could talk to others in the same situation, and of course having faith in Waheguruji helps the most. 

Wishing you good luck with your IVF cycle! 

1 person likes this

On 15/08/2016 at 5:07 AM, BibaKaur said:

Having gone through a similar situation, I would say that there is no support from the community at all. If anything, people will make you feel worse. My best support were the online discussion forums where I could talk to others in the same situation, and of course having faith in Waheguruji helps the most. 

Wishing you good luck with your IVF cycle! 

same here I wish you both strength  and patience but you can help yourselves by looking closely at your diet and eliminate all processed foods and max out on fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds for healthy fats   to help with folates and other vital nutrients. 

Hi there I am going through the same thing was wondering if the couple were able to conceive? This year my husband and I havd had 3 failed fertility treatment s including ivf last week. We have both just decided to leave it in god's hands now to decide if we will be blessed with children.   

1 person likes this

hi there nnkd,

just randomly looked back at this thread today and noticed your post. Crazy how quick a year has gone.

We completed our first cycle of ivf 4 weeks ago but it was unsuccessful. This was a nhs cycle so from now on we will have to fund any future ivf ourselves. Seeing another negative on the stick was pretty devastating, we only had 1 embryo transferred which was grade 1 but it just didn't happen. We're taking a break from it for a few months and then possibly going to try again.  

listening to kirtan and paath helps a lot and does sooth the hurt, but i tend to come back to earth with a bump when around others. 

IVF only has a 33% chance of success per cycle so don't be disheartened and don't forget to live/love your life and hopefully things will work out for you and your partner.

15 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Most Punjabis don't focus on a Soya diet, and even the vegeterian ones focus more on Saabjis and Dals, with Roti. That would help if O.P. said she was an Oriental though.

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Most Punjabis don't focus on a Soya diet, and even the vegeterian ones focus more on Saabjis and Dals, with Roti. That would help if O.P. said she was an Oriental though.

These days in the west maybe it's different? I know the vege sides of the family do actually consume soya based foods. Whether it is enough to effect them hormonally - I don't know. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

These days in the west maybe it's different? I know the vege sides of the family do actually consume soya based foods. Whether it is enough to effect them hormonally - I don't know. 

It's more the younger generation that don't make daals/sabji that consume soya, especially fast food or frozen. I also read that soya affects people, but I can't remember if it was the hormones. 

But thanks for letting us know that. 

Diet does not play the only major role in this. Healthy diet is recommended for dozen of reasons and it is true that healthy diet does help the chances of conceiving.

We just celebrated our 13th yr marriage anniversary and we have 2 small kids. For the first couple of years, we want to work and settle down. I consider that as our big mistake. Next, we spent 5 years of conceiving and then we decided for IUI treatment and guru jee blessed us with kid on our 9th year of our marriage. Easy to say in one line but it is hard time for young couples. I have also seen marriages fall apart from this. The bond between husband and wife should be very strong regardless of kids or no kids. 

- Do not listen to others. Keep the business of treatment and so on private from friends and relatives.
- IVF Treatment in India is cheaper but do not believe everything there as they are heavily commercialized and they have no ethics and its more like baby farming. I listened to few bad stories but there are good treatment centers too.
- Jealousy does happens but it is not good for you while trying as this adds more negative changes of not conceiving. Positive mind is needed.
- The mind state of both couple, especially the lady should be very calm and free from tension of getting pregnant. Trust and leave it to guru jee.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• There was a similar case of a halal meat factory was going to be opened near a UK gurdwara and eventually legal action was taken and they couldn't open it near the premises. Same thing needs to happen here, not because Sikhs cant eat meat because they can. However the hygiene and bad smell from meat shops does effect the environment. A gurdwara should be a welcoming place for vegetarians and non vegetarians. If rotting meat smells is near the Gurdwara hardly anyone is likely to come to pray, so they can file a case against such a shop being opened next to them. Further more I have also noticed pakistani muslim shops mostly restaurants opening right next to UK gurdwara sahib's. Maybe its a direct policy by zealous muslims to try and undermine non-muslim places of worship or maybe there's nothing sinister about the motives however knowing islam's history with non-muslim communities i chose to believe its often to undermine the other communities.
    • By 0 proof, I meant 0 presented. Not that you had 0. And its not like people have never lied(unfortunately) in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, or done much worse.  What lol? My point is we can't just have this fantasy we'll somehow pick/find 5 Singh's who all be completely pure and fix everything. A lot needs to be done before that. 
    • I think American Sikhs need to create a central Sikh body of America's where national security is priority. resolutions can be passed and create protocols so that they can be enforced. So for example defending sangat and Guru Ji would be priority but also preventing such things as stopping the anti-sikh mixed faith anand karaj beadhi that canadian and american sikh gurdwara committee's allow still. Most UK gurdwara's have no started to stop this beadhi insult to their Guru, but they have yet to implement tough security for Guru's ghar as we can see they get robbed by non-sikhs and Guru Ji is attacked. There's a private Sikh security firms in America, one is run by "goray Sikhs" called akal security. Sikhs in the west need to create a security force like this for all gurdwara's and have Sikhs on guard duty on a well paid salary to prevent beadhi and kick out undesirables who cause trouble.  
    • We have a gurdwara here with a meat shop fairly close by, no such smell in or around gurdwara. Maybe your nose is just much more sensitive, but meat shops do not leave the entire neighborhood smelling.  
    • apart from being rude can you please finally answer the question WHAT ABOUT MAI BHAGO JI?  do you deny Dasmesh Pita ji gave her khande di pahul? do you also deny he tied a dastaar on her head? do you deny purataan sakian associated with her? Are you denying the itihaas that says there were female combatants on the battlefields , spies and messengers ? Do you deny the itihaas of women's heads being cut to pass off as sikh teens for a price? (thus they had to be wearing jodey on dasam duar at least) do you denounce the goodness and Honour of all the Bibian such as Harsharan Kaur ji, Mai Bhago ji, Mai Sevan ji, Mata Kaulan ji, The singhnian who were presented to Begums of mughal officials , who were described as being muscular, dressed like men , in armourplate , carrying arms ???