Hello twelve year old Amritdari sikh. Did the 'babbas' not teach you the correct term for someone who has taken the Amrit? It is not known as 'amritshakt' but it is known as 'Amritdhari!' So, don't forget it! Are you sure you are telling us the truth about why you did what you did? You say you 'wanted to' but your parents said 'no' because you were not ready? Why did they allow themselves to be influenced by their friends? Are they easily influenced? Did you throw a tantrum because you 'wanted to' and then your parents gave in? Twelve year olds are known for throwing temper tantrums. You don't seem to make much sense. You wanted to take the amrit, your parents said you were not ready but then they qucikly changed their minds when their friends told them that it is 'bad to say no to your kids!' Very interesting!! Why don't you admit as a good, honest twelve year old amritdari sikh, that it was your decision to take the amrit even though your parents were against it. I know for sure, no gursikh parents will let their twelve year old take the amrit unless they are ready for it, friends or no friends!! You went ahead, and took the amrit, without finding out if it would prove too challenging for you or not.

Well, I am afraid, you cannot go back on it now. This is your life now, son! Once you become an amritdari, you remain an amritdari till the last day of your existence on this planet!! The best you can do is start taking it seriously and do your five banis daily and beg for forgivness for having such cowardly thoughts in your mind about shaving your beard. Stop worrying about your 'pretty big moustache' too. Your facial hair is part and parcel of being a male. If waheyguru ji wanted you to be a female, you would have been a girl, but you are not. So, accept it. You are a boy and boy you shall remain all your life. Besides, anyway, our parents always want boys, don't they? They are lucky, they have a son!

Your saroop is a gift given to you by waheguru ji. God made males and females. For males he wanted them to look sabat soorat. The beard, the chin hair, the moustache and the sideburns is what gives you a very unique appearance which is so masculine, attractive and appealing. So, don't worry too much about it, it is a gift from waheguru ji, be proud and grateful for what you have. Besides, you don't want to have a smooth looking face like girls, do you? No, so, don't shave. Be natural.

It is a law of nature/God for men to have hair on their faces. To shave it off is in breach of this Nature/God's law. Why would men like to imitate women and have smooth facial appearance? Why would they prefer to look feminine instead of masculine? After all, we never ever hear women expressing a desire to grow a beard or a moustache, do we? Do men think they are women? Is that why they shave their faces to look like them?

This is what the babas were suppose to tell him at the camp!! How can they be so irresponsible and not educate the kids before they they take Khandey Battey di Pahul?

Well if your logic was true, how come some females have a significant amount of facial hair lol? If Waheguru meant for females to be smooth faced, and males to have facial hair? The elderly bibiyan with actual beards, whats going on there?

And trying to scare or coerce him into remaining amritdhari is not the way to do this. Other people above have given him great advice, not just "ha! too late now, you're stuck!" Grow up dude.

it's called hormonal imbalance ...in the younger ladies can be because of insulin resistance and early polycystic ovary syndrome, in the older ladies it is because too many androgens on board. Diet is out of whack these days and people have WAY too much refined carbs in their diets ...suicide for peeps from India .

Now...in 2015/2016.......when long bushy beards are ultra-fashionable throughout the western world......with everyone that is 'cool', from pop stars to male super-models....all sporting long bushy beards.......seems like a very strange time for an amritdhari Sikh male to say he doesn't like beards. :wow:

There is major self-hate going in our youth ...stemming I suspect from jibes by illiterate bhed 'sikhs' who have discarded Guru ji's teachings, bullying by gorey, kaley, apnay

and major self-doubt caused by thinking that they have to get the girls just like their mates....

Now...in 2015/2016.......when long bushy beards are ultra-fashionable throughout the western world......with everyone that is 'cool', from pop stars to male super-models....all sporting long bushy beards.......seems like a very strange time for an amritdhari Sikh male to say he doesn't like beards. :wow:

It's cool as long as you're white... and the hair on the head is styled and coiffed to within an inch of its life. Otherwise - particularly if you're of the brown persuasion and the head is covered by a turban - it's business as usual.

There's the odd exception (before anyone posts a picture of the Singh who has models hanging off his arms), but that's fantasy and not applicable to 99.9% of Sikhs on the ground.

No, I'm afraid if one wishes to keep an uncut beard as part of their Sikhi, you do it because you'd like to make a commitment to Guru Sahib. Fashions come and go with the seasons; the things that truly matter don't.

In this particular instance, the youngster wasn't mentally and emotionally developed enough to be trusted to make the decision to take Amrit. He was strong armed into by over-zealous camp organisers. I'm not sure how to react to that tbh: one side of me thinks its damaging to one's spiritual development, and it will most likely lead to the individual resenting his Gursikhi as a curse or a burden that he can't escape. But then the other side of me considers how certain other faiths employ similar tactics to increase their numbers, and at this moment in time we do require an increase in numbers. It's a conundrum, that's for sure.

it's called hormonal imbalance ...in the younger ladies can be because of insulin resistance and early polycystic ovary syndrome, in the older ladies it is because too many androgens on board. Diet is out of whack these days and people have WAY too much refined carbs in their diets ...suicide for peeps from India .

But if his logic is true, that facial hair is only for men because it makes them men, and women are meant to have smooth faces then something is amiss here. Why would God create hormonal imbalances causing women to have hair on their faces? Either god messed up somewhere, or "god gave us facial hair to be men" theory is false. Not too mention the countless men who have zero facial hair, I see very very few asians with facial hair, god didnt want them to be men? If god purposely made it so men have facial hair, I'm sure he would have made it so females have zero.

I'm all for facial hair/beards, but lets stop the stupidity please (not you JKV).

But if his logic is true, that facial hair is only for men because it makes them men, and women are meant to have smooth faces then something is amiss here. Why would God create hormonal imbalances causing women to have hair on their faces? Either god messed up somewhere, or "god gave us facial hair to be men" theory is false. Not too mention the countless men who have zero facial hair, I see very very few asians with facial hair, god didnt want them to be men? If god purposely made it so men have facial hair, I'm sure he would have made it so females have zero.

I'm all for facial hair/beards, but lets stop the stupidity please (not you JKV).

POint IS REALLY:

accept yourself ...all of you ...good and bad ... until you recognise yourself fully you cannot start working on your weaknesses and maintain your strengths. If you deny something about yourself you are wilfully trying suppress/ignore that aspect of you , if it doesn't exist to you then how you going to improve it ?

Guru ji teaches you to accept your reality , from inside through to the outside world , the good, the bad , the indifferent everything in its true light .

Women have facial hair too, not just men. I think it depends on the individual and how God has made them, in regards to how much facial hair one has. As Jkvlondon penji says, some are due to hormonal imbalances, but there are many women without these and still have facial hair. Every human has facial hair, on some it is lighter on others it's darker. No skin is without hair.

POint IS REALLY:

accept yourself ...all of you ...good and bad ... until you recognise yourself fully you cannot start working on your weaknesses and maintain your strengths. If you deny something about yourself you are wilfully trying suppress/ignore that aspect of you , if it doesn't exist to you then how you going to improve it ?

Guru ji teaches you to accept your reality , from inside through to the outside world , the good, the bad , the indifferent everything in its true light .

This is exactly what I was hoping would be said. Lets give him the honest truth, has nothing to do with man or not, the bitter truth is he is who he is, and has to accept it (good and bad). The whole human mane concept is just laughable, lets treat him like an equal and not a fool.