Yoga Can It Beneficial To Your Spiritual Journey/ Does It Have Any Benefits

Khalsa589

i Have heard of these Chakras what are the purpose of these can you use them as a sikh to help you in your spiritual journey, how do you use them in they way they suppose to be used, what does Our Sat guru say about this, what does our sikh history say, what do they Liberated ones have to say about this, brahmgyani.

Can you use these tool's to help you , knowing that naam and love is they way to GOD. Pls if you want to stay not public pls private message me

i Have heard of these Chakras what are the purpose of these can you use them as a sikh to help you in your spiritual journey, how do you use them in they way they suppose to be used, what does Our Sat guru say about this, what does our sikh history say, what do they Liberated ones have to say about this, brahmgyani.

Can you use these tool's to help you , knowing that naam and love is they way to GOD. Pls if you want to stay not public pls private message me

Previous topics;

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/72956-kundalini-yoga-and-yogi-bhajan/?hl=yoga

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/74586-mixing-bani-with-yoga/?hl=yoga

I will also add to this, what Guruji says:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

There is but One God. By True Guru's grace, Is He obtained.

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜਿਓ ਅਰੁ ਬੇਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿਓ ਨਿਵਲਿ ਭੁਅੰਗਮ ਸਾਧੇ ॥

पाठु पड़िओ अरु बेदु बीचारिओ निवलि भुअंगम साधे ॥

Pāṯẖ paṛi▫o ar beḏ bīcẖāri▫o nival bẖu▫angam sāḏẖe.

The man, reads holy texts and studies the Vedas. he practises inner-washing and breath control.

ਪੰਚ ਜਨਾ ਸਿਉ ਸੰਗੁ ਨ ਛੁਟਕਿਓ ਅਧਿਕ ਅਹੰਬੁਧਿ ਬਾਧੇ ॥੧॥

पंच जना सिउ संगु न छुटकिओ अधिक अह्मबुधि बाधे ॥१॥

Pancẖ janā si▫o sang na cẖẖutki▫o aḏẖik ahaʼn▫buḏẖ bāḏẖe. ||1||

But the escapes not from the company of the five evil passions and is all the more tied to haughty disposition.

ਪਿਆਰੇ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਮਿਲਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਮੈ ਕੀਏ ਕਰਮ ਅਨੇਕਾ ॥

पिआरे इन बिधि मिलणु न जाई मै कीए करम अनेका ॥

Pi▫āre in biḏẖ milaṇ na jā▫ī mai kī▫e karam anekā.

My dear, by these methods, the Lord is met not, and I have performed many such rituals.

ਹਾਰਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਕੈ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਦੀਜੈ ਬੁਧਿ ਬਿਬੇਕਾ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

हारि परिओ सुआमी कै दुआरै दीजै बुधि बिबेका ॥ रहाउ ॥

Hār pari▫o su▫āmī kai ḏu▫ārai ḏījai buḏẖ bibekā.

Rahā▫o.

I have dropped down weary at the Lord's door and pray for the grant of discerning intellect. Pause.

SGGS Ang 641

When I did yoga, I did not mix it with Gurbani I see it as a separate form of exercise.

In regards to the chakras opening, breathing, etc, I feel that is in Wahegurus grace only from their love it will occur, not from just by doing yoga and one should not try to aim for this. I feel it takes one away from the path of devotion towards Waheguru.

Guest Jacfsing2

Yoga can be a source of health and fitness; however, as per Sikhi you won't be a brahgyani, (that only happens in the grace of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji-Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji), if your looking for a healthy form of yoga I would recommend not going to 3HO as they are 50% Pseudo-Sikhs and 50% Yogi Bhajan, (in fact it's probably best to avoid them at all costs)

the Jatt boy above made the correct comment. You have to find out what JOG is really about. (Jog means Union)

In my simplest explanation and as a person who has been doing yoga for over 3 years, ...JOG is about your JIV or Atma merging with the Parmatma.

This happens "inside" your body,.. inside your sukham/subtle sareer.

However, many schools of yoga, religions and faiths, over the years have got wrapped up and involved in too much outer body work to help make the inner changes., but they make none and stay outside......this is where it goes wrong....

Yoga or the jog is about how some 'outwardly' conduct can help in promoting the 'inwardly' transformation.. Rituals and religious acts are also about this.

The mind works in such a way that we have to address it in maya by some outwardly work to get it disciplined...but in doing this, we have to be careful not to get wrapped up and lost in the physical...same goes for yoga..

The physical well being and science of yoga is about the whole 3, Mind, Body and Spirit.,..... Mind and body working on kriyas --->>stronger control over mind---->can help use mind for spiritual discipline in order to get the spiritual ascension..........this is the idea, and if you approach it this way, you will have success......saying that, it doesn't have to be yoga, you can do any regular Mind-spirit-body workouts like karate or judo.. In fact, the real ancient Kung-Fu is also about the same thing of helping you to meditate...but the western world just thinks that kung-fu is about swing-swing, chop chop and beating up opponents!

Once you start getting your mind in control, only then can you progress at a faster rate in simran and meditation. The anti-yoga bandwagons can happily continue becoming better Sikhs, but if yoga, kung-fu or anything similar can help you become a better Sikh, then why not?

Gurbani has to be looked at closely when it comes to yoga. It doesn't speak against the science of yoga at all, but it warns against the way some yogis have got lost without getting any inner jog(union). There are many deep spiritual yoga references that help you once you get advanced in abyaas, To be in "sukhmani" is when your inner energy channels are balanced and rising through the chakras and going upward in the central channel called "sukhmana" or sushmana(in Vedic)

OKAY, but the big question is "should I need yoga to activate and stimulate chakras in order to get ascension" ?

Answer, is No, in Gurmat, we have been given the direct practice and jugtees of doing simran using "waheguru" gurmantar. You start saas graas with this going from navel upwards, and the energy channels, chakras, sukham sareer irregularities ..etc.. will ALL automatically start aligning and activating with pure focus of single mind on gurmantar.

So once you understand this and start practicing simran and waheguru jap, anything you do for outer mind- body practice will just be helping you for your overall well being and general jeevan jach. In return, this will help you on your inward spiritual journey that will leave you gasping for naam, amrit and darshan.

I have no interest in starting another debate about 3HO, yogi bhagan and all that, because I have to preserve my energies for my own journey....Sat sri akaal to all.

Gurbani tell us Sikhs how to obtain mind control. Not once does Gurbani say start off by using any form of yoga(breathing exercise, hand movement (mudras), body posture (kriya), etc) Read ang 186 and 202. Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji say no to yoga when it comes to starting to control your mind or for controlling your mind. Others will isolate tuks and panktis, yet when a honest discussion starts, they have no time to discuss the whole shabad to present the whole picture. Read Bhagat Kabir ji`s Bani. Bhagat ji very sharply points out the practice of yoga cannot gain union for a person with Akal Purakh or for any sort of spiritual gain. 3HO and supporters very cleverly trick people into manipulating Gurbani to say yoga is spiritual and approved by Guru Sahib for spiritual development. They specifically attribute Sri Guru Ram Das ji as the front runner who promotes yoga (Raj Yoga) for spiritual gain. Ask these people and those who think in a similar fashion to read the angs I said above written by Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji. Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji is the son of Sri Guru Ram Das ji. His son would not disapprove of what his father the Guru so called said. If he did, then our fifth Guru would be no different than Sri Chand, the first Guru son who was called beymukh in Gurbani.

Let`s uncover this myth, in couple of sentences, of how yoga was the way of the past and now we have the direct path (Gurbani) to union( Akal Purakh), yet yoga can still can take you to Akal Purakh. Bhagat Kabir ji came before Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji on this Earth. If yoga was the way then, how come Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji gave the stamp of Gurbani to the Shabads written by Bhagat Kabir ji, clearly saying yoga is useless for spiritual gain or union with Akal Purakh. Not all of Bhagat Kabir ji`s writing was accepted in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and Guru Sahib even corrects Bhagat ji on certain topics. Yet we see the stamp by Guru Sahib when Bhagat ji talks about yoga. Read Bhagat Kabir ji`s Shabads on yoga and you will find how he abandoned the path of yoga after finding only emptiness in it.

The idea of first getting some mind control (claiming a person has to use a method like yoga for starting off with mind control) before simran or yoga helps to speed up the process is simply not true. The reason said above should be sufficient enough to say why and look at the instructions given in Gurbani further describing in more detail. Wake up in the early hours, repeat his name and contemplate on Gurbani. What does this translate into as Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji instructed us. In the morning do Vaheguru simran and read your 5 Banis, if you desire to do more, keep the rhythm going. Sikhi is simple, yet many purposely make it complicated due to personal attachments.

Opening chakras is apart of this whole yoga union with Akal Purakh scam. Sikhs need to open their mind and heart to the Guru and then only will your chakras be open. Don`t believe me, read ang 1042. Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji perfectly says only the Guru is the way. There is so much to be said on this topic. I know before hand what the other side will present in isolation from Guru Sahib`s Bani.

No one is stopping anyone from practicing whatever they want. Your life your choice. But why manipulate and twist Gurbani to support your practices. Leave Gurbani out of it.