Sikh Organizations Collect 3,000 Toys For Children In Need This Christmas

singhbj singh

Sikh organizations collect 3,000 toys for children in need this Christmas

HEADLINES-TOY-DRIVE-1-300x225.jpgHEADLINES-TOY-DRIVE-2-300x225.jpgTHE Holiday season provides a great opportunity for diverse communities to come together to make Christmas special for hundreds of families and a fantastic example of communities coming together is the Toys for Kids campaign by the Guru Nanak’s Free Kitchen and Sikh Academy Elementary, who rally the Sikh community to collect and donate toys for children in need this Christmas.

Toys collected in this campaign will directly benefit families supported by the Salvation Army, the Lower Mainland Purpose Society for Youth and Family, and New Westminster Family Place.

“Sikhs believe in ‘Sarbat Da Bhala,’ meaning ‘caring for all,’” says Roveen Kandola with Guru Nanak’s Free Kitchen. “It’s important during the Christmas season, to think of those less fortunate and make their Christmas much brighter.”

“New Westminster Family Place is very appreciative of the lovely toys that we receive from you for our families,” says Majorie Staal, Executive Director of New Westminster Family Place. “Our parents are overwhelmed by the quality of the toys that come.”

IMG_1122-1-300x225.jpg

On Saturday, the event organizers announced that they will be donating toys to 20-25 Syrian refugee families that are due to arrive in BC as well. Yousef Barakat from the Canadian Arab Forum of BC was on hand to welcome the announcement.

IMG_1130-300x225.jpgIMG_1119-300x225.jpgOver the last several weeks, donors and volunteers have been collecting toys at various Sikh temples in the Metro Vancouver area. All the toys have been transported to the gymnasium at Sikh Academy in Surrey, where volunteers will gift-wrap 3,000 toys on Saturday, December 12.

The annual Toys for Kids campaign has donated over 5,000 toys in the last two years, providing hundreds of families the opportunity to have a more enjoyable Christmas.

Date for gift wrapping: Saturday, December 12

Time: 1-2:30 p.m.

Location: Sikh Academy Newton Elementary School, 12895 85th Avenue, Surrey.

http://www.voiceonline.com/sikh-organizations-collect-3000-toys-for-children-in-need-this-christmas/

Because these toys are for all kids and a lot of them are Christians. These Christian kids celebrate Christmas but they don't have money to buy presents. I applaud this Sikh organization doing something that is also benefiting othe religions and community. Get out of this backwards thinking. It would be great if they did it for guru jis gurpurab as well!

Because these toys are for all kids and a lot of them are Christians. These Christian kids celebrate Christmas but they don't have money to buy presents. I applaud this Sikh organization doing something that is also benefiting othe religions and community. Get out of this backwards thinking. It would be great if they did it for guru jis gurpurab as well!

I agree, there is nothing wrong with a Sikh in helping or donating to needy children (irrespective of their faith) in the country they live in.

I like this quote I saw: " Every child is a different kind of flower, And all together, make this world a Beautiful garden ". ?????

I agree, there is nothing wrong with a Sikh in helping or donating to needy children (irrespective of their faith) in the country they live in.

I like this quote I saw: " Every child is a different kind of flower, And all together, make this world a Beautiful garden ". ?????

really nice quote.

so what? they could have very well have given to those kids during Gurupurab of any of the Gurus. will they not accept gifts during a Gurpurab? do they have allergic reaction to Gurpurabs? and most importantly why do you have an allergy to Gurpurabs? you can never put yasu in the same darja of Guru Maharaj.

so what? they could have very well have given to those kids during Gurupurab of any of the Gurus. will they not accept gifts during a Gurpurab? do they have allergic reaction to Gurpurabs? and most importantly why do you have an allergy to Gurpurabs? you can never put yasu in the same darja of Guru Maharaj.

Firstly I think you did not read my post properly at all. Re read it. Where did I say I have an allergy to gurpurabs? If you read my post again you will see that I have written that it would be great if they did this for gurpurabs as well. For example you are saying is that you would go help the needy only on the gurpurabs and not on Christmas? Just because Chrismas is about Jesus Christ and gurpurab is about the gurus? Arent we supposed to be charitable all the time?

These sikh organizations do a lot of charity work on the gurpurabs as well such as go feed the poor or collect food for food drives etc. This holiday Christmas they are doing something as well. If that bothers you then that shows how insecure your are. Then according to you Khalsa aid shouldn't go to Syria or Nepal and help people who are of a different religion that are suffering.

Why do you have an allergy to everything that is not Sikh? We are supposed to help humanity regardless of caste, religion, skin colour etc. If a Christian says merry Christmas to me I say merry Christmas to them back cause my sikhi does not break if I say it. Cause I am not insecure. If sikhi is this kacha then it will not last long.

Firstly I think you did not read my post properly at all. Re read it. Where did I say I have an allergy to gurpurabs? If you read my post again you will see that I have written that it would be great if they did this for gurpurabs as well. For example you are saying is that you would go help the needy only on the gurpurabs and not on Christmas? Just because Chrismas is about Jesus Christ and gurpurab is about the gurus? Arent we supposed to be charitable all the time?

These sikh organizations do a lot of charity work on the gurpurabs as well such as go feed the poor or collect food for food drives etc. This holiday Christmas they are doing something as well. If that bothers you then that shows how insecure your are. Then according to you Khalsa aid shouldn't go to Syria or Nepal and help people who are of a different religion that are suffering.

Why do you have an allergy to everything that is not Sikh? We are supposed to help humanity regardless of caste, religion, skin colour etc. If a Christian says merry Christmas to me I say merry Christmas to them back cause my sikhi does not break if I say it. Cause I am not insecure. If sikhi is this kacha then it will not last long.

Nothing wrong with giving. But someone here needs to oppose the western Sikhs love affair with Christmas. This has caused a lot of confusion among western kids who now think jesus is a Brahmgiani and is in Sachkhand. Ive even come across some confused desis who have lost all sense of bibek budh and now think Bible is of the same Darja as the Illahi Bani of Guru Maharaj. Next they will turn Jesus into an un official Sikh Guru.

We already have that confused Mr Nijjar spreading this falsehood