Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jacfsing2

Sources Of Protein?

I'm sorry if I burst anyone's bubble but other than the legumes (nuts and beans), the amount of protein in vegetable food is so insignificant as to be useless for anyone trying to build a lot of lean muscle. There are a lot of very misleading tables and posters fabricated by vegan advocacy groups going about the internet.

You're going to have to fall passionately in love with dairy products to have any chance of building a lot of lean muscle as a vegetarian.

If you drink 3 pints of semi-skimmed milk a day, 3 scoops of whey powder mixed with water, and eat some kind of paneer dish each evening, with nuts and dhal throughout the day when you're feeling peckish, you'll easily break the 100+ daily grams of protein needed to bulk up significantly. Saag simply doesn't cut it.

Edited by Balkaar

I'm sorry if Saag simply doesn't cut it.

Once Punjabi ladies have had their way with Saag, it's safe to say all nutritional value is close to zero. Sure, it tastes great, but once it's been boiled and then sautéed to death, it's not going to be very healthy.

Your semi-skimmed milk and dairy, plus other natural or raw sources of protein is right.

• Like 3

Has anyone ever gone from a diet that got protein from lots of meat to vegetarian here?

How did it effect them physically?

I did, and it would be no exaggeration to say that I suffered from withdrawal effects - I was hungry and tired all the time. Was also totally clueless about what I now had to eat, so a lot of mass dropped off almost instantaneously.

Addressed the problem by eating more intelligently, and much more regularly, every 2 hours at least.

I did, and it would be no exaggeration to say that I suffered from withdrawal effects - I was hungry and tired all the time. Was also totally clueless about what I now had to eat, so a lot of mass dropped off almost instantaneously.

Addressed the problem by eating more intelligently, and much more regularly, every 2 hours at least.

Paji, what did you have as meat alternative for the protein?

How long did it take for you to tweak your veg diet to start putting bulk back on? Do you train at all?

Paji, what did you have as meat alternative for the protein?

A lot of dhal, but mostly dairy products - milk, cheese/paneer, whey powder and yoghurt. I think that protein from animal sources is just easier for the human body to assimilate.

How long did it take for you to tweak your veg diet to start putting bulk back on? Do you train at all?

I started lifting exactly two years ago and became a vegetarian about 5 months into my programme. I was pretty much clueless about nutrition at the time, and I was horrified when all my noob gains started vanishing. So I looked some things up on the internet, learned that dairy was probably a better source of protein than the saag and dhal which had been my staples since becoming veggie, and made the appropriate changes to my diet immediately. Most of my old mass returned very quickly - could probably be attributed to muscle memory. Also helped to have a couple more protein shakes.

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 2

A lot of dhal, but mostly dairy products - milk, cheese/paneer, whey powder and yoghurt. I think that protein from animal sources is just easier for the human body to assimilate.

I started lifting exactly two years ago and became a vegetarian about 5 months into my programme. I was pretty much clueless about nutrition at the time, and I was horrified when all my noob gains started vanishing. So I looked some things up on the internet, learned that dairy was probably a better source of protein than the saag and dhal which had been my staples since becoming veggie, and made the appropriate changes to my diet immediately. Most of my old mass returned very quickly - could probably be attributed to muscle memory. Also helped to have a couple more protein shakes.

What type of lifting? Bodybuilding or powerlifting? What programs do you do?

What type of lifting? Bodybuilding or powerlifting? What programs do you do?

I train for both hypertrophy and strength by lifting the heaviest weight I can possibly handle at 8 reps per set, three sets altogether per exercise. If I find, over time, that I am able to do 9 reps, I increase the weight. I do this every other day - alternating between arms/shoulders the one day and chest/back the next. Legs are stubborn (especially the calves), so I train those whenever I am in the gym.

My chest workout consists of barbell or dumbbell presses on straight, incline and decline benches. Bench flies too. I find standing military presses, side lateral raises and face pulls have worked well for my shoulders. Deadlift and pullups for back, regular barbell curls for biceps, french curls and cable extensions for triceps, and finally squats and calf raises for legs.

Ride my bike for a couple of hours on my off days to make sure that I don't put on too much fat.

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 1

Can some of the vege bros who train share some ideas for high protein veg breakfasts please?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/7-protein-rich-vegetarian-breakfasts.html

These are awesome

• Like 1

Can some of the vege bros who train share some ideas for high protein veg breakfasts please?

Unfortunately breakfast presents a grim landscape for vegetarians, lol, most decent breakfast food items are meat products. The veggie alternatives quickly become repetitious.

I try and get it over with as quickly as I can by lobbing some milk, whey powder and steamed oats into a pint glass and chugging the nasty mixture. Just have an excellent lunch and dinner to compensate for your ruined morning.

Edited by Balkaar

Unfortunately breakfast presents a grim landscape for vegetarians, lol, most decent breakfast food items are meat products. The veggie alternatives quickly become repetitious.

I try and get it over with as quickly as I can by lobbing some milk, whey powder and steamed oats into a pint glass and chugging the nasty mixture. Just have an excellent lunch and dinner to compensate for your ruined morning.

Scary stuff!

A little film by Dr John McDougall about the dangers of too much soy protein ... this is also valid as a lot of our bibian cane that soy without thinking twice and screw up their hormone profiles too.

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 2

I don't like soya taste. Anything else penji instead of soya for the protein I can have? Aloo khake aloo banjana main. ? ?

Edited by simran345