Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacfsing2

Sources Of Protein?

105 posts in this topic

I did, and it would be no exaggeration to say that I suffered from withdrawal effects - I was hungry and tired all the time. Was also totally clueless about what I now had to eat, so a lot of mass dropped off almost instantaneously.

Addressed the problem by eating more intelligently, and much more regularly, every 2 hours at least.

How long did it take for you to tweak your veg diet to start putting bulk back on? Do you train at all?

Paji, what did you have as meat alternative for the protein?

A lot of dhal, but mostly dairy products - milk, cheese/paneer, whey powder and yoghurt. I think that protein from animal sources is just easier for the human body to assimilate.

How long did it take for you to tweak your veg diet to start putting bulk back on? Do you train at all?

I started lifting exactly two years ago and became a vegetarian about 5 months into my programme. I was pretty much clueless about nutrition at the time, and I was horrified when all my noob gains started vanishing. So I looked some things up on the internet, learned that dairy was probably a better source of protein than the saag and dhal which had been my staples since becoming veggie, and made the appropriate changes to my diet immediately. Most of my old mass returned very quickly - could probably be attributed to muscle memory. Also helped to have a couple more protein shakes.

Edited by Balkaar
2 people like this

A lot of dhal, but mostly dairy products - milk, cheese/paneer, whey powder and yoghurt. I think that protein from animal sources is just easier for the human body to assimilate.

I started lifting exactly two years ago and became a vegetarian about 5 months into my programme. I was pretty much clueless about nutrition at the time, and I was horrified when all my noob gains started vanishing. So I looked some things up on the internet, learned that dairy was probably a better source of protein than the saag and dhal which had been my staples since becoming veggie, and made the appropriate changes to my diet immediately. Most of my old mass returned very quickly - could probably be attributed to muscle memory. Also helped to have a couple more protein shakes.

What type of lifting? Bodybuilding or powerlifting? What programs do you do?

What type of lifting? Bodybuilding or powerlifting? What programs do you do?

I train for both hypertrophy and strength by lifting the heaviest weight I can possibly handle at 8 reps per set, three sets altogether per exercise. If I find, over time, that I am able to do 9 reps, I increase the weight. I do this every other day - alternating between arms/shoulders the one day and chest/back the next. Legs are stubborn (especially the calves), so I train those whenever I am in the gym.

My chest workout consists of barbell or dumbbell presses on straight, incline and decline benches. Bench flies too. I find standing military presses, side lateral raises and face pulls have worked well for my shoulders. Deadlift and pullups for back, regular barbell curls for biceps, french curls and cable extensions for triceps, and finally squats and calf raises for legs.

Ride my bike for a couple of hours on my off days to make sure that I don't put on too much fat.

Edited by Balkaar
1 person likes this

Can some of the vege bros who train share some ideas for high protein veg breakfasts please?

Unfortunately breakfast presents a grim landscape for vegetarians, lol, most decent breakfast food items are meat products. The veggie alternatives quickly become repetitious.

I try and get it over with as quickly as I can by lobbing some milk, whey powder and steamed oats into a pint glass and chugging the nasty mixture. Just have an excellent lunch and dinner to compensate for your ruined morning.

Edited by Balkaar

Unfortunately breakfast presents a grim landscape for vegetarians, lol, most decent breakfast food items are meat products. The veggie alternatives quickly become repetitious.

I try and get it over with as quickly as I can by lobbing some milk, whey powder and steamed oats into a pint glass and chugging the nasty mixture. Just have an excellent lunch and dinner to compensate for your ruined morning.

Scary stuff!

A little film by Dr John McDougall about the dangers of too much soy protein ... this is also valid as a lot of our bibian cane that soy without thinking twice and screw up their hormone profiles too.

Edited by jkvlondon
2 people like this

I don't like soya taste. Anything else penji instead of soya for the protein I can have? Aloo khake aloo banjana main. ? ?

Edited by simran345

I don't like soya taste. Anything else penji instead of soya for the protein I can have? Aloo khake aloo banjana main.

good old saag ...leafy greens and cauliflower broccoli family are full of proteins too...

1 person likes this

good old saag ...leafy greens and cauliflower broccoli family are full of proteins too...

Thank you penji.

A little film by Dr John McDougall about the dangers of too much soy protein ... this is also valid as a lot of our bibian cane that soy without thinking twice and screw up their hormone profiles too.

Geezers watch out for soya, I heard it makes you generate estrogen.

1 person likes this

Geezers watch out for soya, I heard it makes you generate estrogen.

loads of phytoestrogens which leads to higher androgen prduction in girls and dhardis ...in guys the dreaded moobs...neither good

2 people like this

Just discovered Linda McCartney's Vegetarian Sausages.

Seems to be mainly made from rehydrated wheat protein (84%) i.e. not soya.

Macros look good :

Per 2 sausages

Carbs - 7.6g

Fat - 8.1g

Protein - 20.7g

Edit: Just ate them, tasted a bit dry but that might have been because I overcooked them slightly?

Edited by dallysingh101

Macros look good :

Per 2 sausages

Carbs - 7.6g

Fat - 8.1g

Protein - 20.7g

Edit: Just ate them, tasted a bit dry but that might have been because I overcooked them slightly?

I've always found Linda McCartneys food dry. Try them with some veggie gravy. They used to have some pies, that had gravy in them, not sure if they still do them.

1 person likes this

Macros look good :

Per 2 sausages

Carbs - 7.6g

Fat - 8.1g

Protein - 20.7g

(I can assume the topic would be locked if I asked this), but how would this compare to the sausage of an animal, I tried some veggie Sausages and they tasted awful. (Surprisingly pork sausage had less grams of protein with 18 grams).

(I can assume the topic would be locked if I asked this), but how would this compare to the sausage of an animal, I tried some veggie Sausages and they tasted awful. (Surprisingly pork sausage had less grams of protein with 18 grams).

Proper sausages taste 100 x better than vege fake ones. In terms of macros, it depends on the meat sausage quality i.e. Blackfarmer Premium Sausages (the lowest carb ones I have ever seen) have:

(per 100g i.e. 1 and a half sausages)

Carbs: 1g

Fat: 19.7g

Protein: 14.8g

Compared to Linda McCartney's:

(per 100g)

Carbs: 8.3g

Fat: 8.8g

Protein: 22.5

Edited by dallysingh101
1 person likes this

Macros look good :

Per 2 sausages

Carbs - 7.6g

Fat - 8.1g

Protein - 20.7g

if you have a fan oven I would suggest cutting down time drastically otherwise it's like eating wood...I usually do them for ten minutes and they are good , most of the excessive fat gets shed but the moisture is still all there. Usually add to pasta sauce that I have been creating on the hob while they are doing their thing in the oven. mushroom and sausage stroganoff is popular in our house .

Edited by jkvlondon
2 people like this

if you have a fan oven I would suggest cutting down time drastically otherwise it's like eating wood...I usually do them for ten minutes and they are good , most of the excessive fat gets shed but the moisture is still all there. Usually add to pasta sauce that I have been creating on the hob while they are doing their thing in the oven. mushroom and sausage stroganoff is popular in our house .

What do you have for breakfast sis?

I think that is hardest job. To make a tasty, high protein vege breakfast.

Most people want to eat something tasty first thing. Having something grim tasting just makes mornings even more grim for non-morning people.

What do you have for breakfast sis?

I think that is hardest job. To make a tasty, high protein vege breakfast.

Most people want to eat something tasty first thing. Having something grim tasting just makes mornings even more grim for non-morning people.

honestly most people don't eat in our house , so it becomes like an intermittent fast effect ...eating first meal at midday...I eat around eleven usually 0% greek yoghurt with fresh fruit and linwoods 'Goji and seed blend' with a a little honey and OJ (fresh squeezed) or a berry smoothie no dairy with banana and spirulina and greens powder.

Or even slicing up four five oranges and just getting in the citrus ...very good for breaking down mucus in the system thus aiding bodies work

Edited by jkvlondon

honestly most people don't eat in our house , so it becomes like an intermittent fast effect ...eating first meal at midday...I eat around eleven usually 0% greek yoghurt with fresh fruit and linwoods 'Goji and seed blend' with a a little honey and OJ (fresh squeezed) or a berry smoothie no dairy with banana and spirulina and greens powder.

Or even slicing up four five oranges and just getting in the citrus ...very good for breaking down mucus in the system thus aiding bodies work

Mayne, I hate sweet stuff in the morning though.....

Guess I have to get used to it. : (

Mayne, I hate sweet stuff in the morning though.....

Guess I have to get used to it. : (

could do savoury yoghurt with cucumber, spinach , ground cumin, chilli , maybe with precooked lentils thrown in salt to taste ,

last night's gobi sabji sandwiches in seeded batch then grilled ( or paneer/carrots-peas sabji)

besan pancakes with chillis ,onions,spinach, tomatoes, cubes of feta cooked with cocnut oil (add a little bicarb to make it fluffy)

flaxsseed pancakes with pansauteed mushrooms and spinach salt and pepper (chilli if you like it hot)

Edited by jkvlondon
2 people like this