Sikh Books For Kids 5 To 15

S1ngh

We started small organization and we have currently roughly about 25 kids. We have one full dedicated one library room. We have around 1000 books of every kind. Its been over 7 months and i have seen no interest of sikh kids picking up the book and read them. We tried to give them reading assignment and or public speech project but they go along with the way writer wrote the book. Lets take an example of in famous bed time sikh stories, the kids don't connect with the content at all. They bring their own book such as diary of the wimpy kids and so on and some do read for hours.

My thinking is that the author or the companies who wrote sikh kids books which are easily available are from India. Their english style or use of vocabulary is quite different than here in west. I also think that we are publishing books without any change again and again (generation change adoption ignored by authors).

My main issue is to have kids read sakhiyaan and other sikh books with interest and is there anyway that we young parents can do something to create resources for open public.

Partly agree. Bed time sakhian and the accounts found on-line are not great if kids reads them by themselves, but can be transformed if an adult reads them, changing the grammar, injecting with explanations and simplifying the English as required. Ideally this should be the job of the Author, put simply, we have not produced enough good writers that are writing exciting enough books for kids that capture the imagination and interest quickly.

Books need to cater for different ages. Rare books such as the ones published by Punjab and Sind Bank used fantastic colour illustrations (below) to bring accounts to life. Lack of investment has resulted in plain print books, black and white illustrations and the challenges you refer to.

n9.jpg

n4.jpg

Saka%20Chamkaur%20Sahib.jpg

In certain cases the same issues arise if we look at Sikh books aimed for adults, that were written only 30-40+ years ago; the use of Victorian English requires a good dictionary at hand!

We definitely need professional pracharaks and they should be paid. We need to remove the stigma of having mandatory 'free' religious sewa.

However, I still do strongly believe that religious sewa by mind without money involved is PURE and can't be beaten by any force.