Do We Celebrate Christmas And New Year

carinder

Outside of the Nigerian/Ghanian communities there's about the same number of actual practcising christians in the UK as there are Jedis who belive Luke Skywalker is the son of god.

Get with the programme people. It is 2015...soon to be 2016. Getting and opening presents at xmas as a kid didn't turn me into christian and it won't my kids either. Nor yours. They are kids. Let kids be kids. They are nowhere near as stupid, misinformed or hateful as we adults.

Janamashtmi, rakhdi and other Hindu holidays are also considered cultural holidays. Does that make it okay for us to celebrate those? THen why is it okay for Sikhs to celebrate Christmas which also is the most DARDNAAK time for the Khalsa Panth regarding the sacrifices of the family of Dasam Pita?

No Sikh that claims love for Sikhism and the Dasam Pitta will as much as think of celebrating festivals that belong to other religions, especially in the month of December!!! Our Pitta Ji sacrificed everything for us starting with the Pancham Patshah, Ninth Patshah and then his own immediate family! We can never repay them for the sacrifices they have made for us, the least we can do is, become amritdary and lead our lives according to their Principles instead of arguing whether we should or should not celebrate Christmas which has no connection to Sikhism anyways!! I told my colleagues too, so I don't give or receive any Xmas cards!! It is best to be truthful!

We are suppose to feel grateful and not UNGRATEFUL.

If anyone can provide evidence of anyone of the Gurus celebrating another religions or secular or commercial holiday. We will celebrate Christmas at the gurdwara. Provide specific details of when, where, and how it was celebrated.

I take it you also refuse to take a day off for the May day bank holiday, especially as it has communsm as it's root and the fact that our Gurus never took a day off for it and of course forcefully demand that your employers pay you single rate pay rather than bank holiday double ?

I'm sure you do, because I know you're a nice man and there is absolutely no way you would be a hypocrite.

Right ?

No Sikh that claims love for Sikhism and the Dasam Pitta will as much as think of celebrating festivals that belong to other religions, especially in the month of December!!! Our Pitta Ji sacrificed everything for us starting with the Pancham Patshah, Ninth Patshah and then his own immediate family! We can never repay them for the sacrifices they have made for us, the least we can do is, become amritdary and lead our lives according to their Principles instead of arguing whether we should or should not celebrate Christmas which has no connection to Sikhism anyways!! I told my colleagues too, so I don't give or receive any Xmas cards!! It is best to be truthful!

We are suppose to feel grateful and not UNGRATEFUL.

I suppose we all have to take steps to observe this historical event full of spiritual importance. I stopped celebrating when I became a Sikh. My Sikh identity is due to these great many sacrifices made by the Gurus and, I am forever grateful to them.

Some great, thought provoking and VERY revealing posts here.

Didn't know there were whitewashed apnay doing the whole presents and xmas tree thing! I wonder if the families that do this are bowling around in bright, cheesy xmas jumpers on the day? lol

It was also good to read that the events around Guru ji evacuating Chamkaur was around this time too. When you grow up with these sakhis, no dates are put on them so it was nice to get to know that and it gives us an alternative narrative to use around this time to educate the kids.

One point though, I wouldn't make the time a 'sad' one because of this; I'd focus emphasis on the bravery and commitment shown then. I'd make it a happy time as much as possible. We don't want kids to grow up all moody about their upbringing and making youtube skits about it when they are older....lol

Some great, thought provoking and VERY revealing posts here.

Didn't know there were whitewashed apnay doing the whole presents and xmas tree thing! I wonder if the families that do this are bowling around in bright, cheesy xmas jumpers on the day? lol

It was also good to read that the events around Guru ji evacuating Chamkaur was around this time too. When you grow up with these sakhis, no dates are put on them so it was nice to get to know that and it gives us an alternative narrative to use around this time to educate the kids.

One point though, I wouldn't make the time a 'sad' one because of this; I'd focus emphasis on the bravery and commitment shown then. I'd make it a happy time as much as possible. We don't want kids to grow up all moody about their upbringing and making youtube skits about it when they are older....lol

U would b surprised at what some apney do I no ppl who do the whole tree thing presents and a Christmas dinner

U would b surprised at what some apney do I no ppl who do the whole tree thing presents and a Christmas dinner

If it comes to breaking bread together - i.e. sharing food. I have no objections. But all the other stuff is superfluous in my opinion - lights, trees, presents etc. etc.

It don't surprise me though, there's a Sikh family up the road with xmas lights blinking away in the windows, so it's not uncommon.