Do We Celebrate Christmas And New Year

carinder

Those bring up the "celebrate eid as well" argument cant really think they have a valid point, do they? Christmas has basically become a cultural holiday to spend time with your family, eid on the other hand is 100% religious in nature. Not too mention we dont live in Islamic countries, so Eid has no place in vast majority of society here. For the Sikhs who do live in Islamic countries, I dont see anything wrong if maybe they cooked a meal for their Muslim neighbors or some sort of small gesture. Its not as if theyre accepting Islam.

I dont see anyone bitc**** and complaining if non Sikh students/staff join their Sikh friends are partake in celebrating Diwali etc when they have ZERO obligation to do so. Fer ta sare bohat kush hunde ne.

first SIkh don't celebrate DIWALI but Bandi Chorr Diwas if they are doing the former they are just jumping onto a majority bandwagon just Like Christmass both have zero about the original reason they have just become about CONSUMERISM ..which happens to be killing the planet ....so on the SIkhi standpoint on caring for all life on the planet I say STOP CONSUMING POINTLESSLY instead do something for those with nothing , protect the environment , plant seeds so life is filled with permanent beauty which nourishes the insect life which in turn pollinates and feeds us.

no fireworks - plant flowering bulbs and fruit trees

no sweets - feed the hungry, the reward will last longer

nurture the environment - it needs our protection

introspect about your actions , review whether or not you are a good sibling to Chaar Sahibzahidey ....strive to do better

This is what this month and every month is about ...leaving the world a better place for knowing us

Guest Jacfsing2

Does anyone know what the First 6 letters of Christmas spells? If they don't I'll assist: C-H-R-I-S-T, now you can say if it's a religious holiday or not, in the same way people are celebrating Hindu festivals and whatnot. Ultimately it still is a religious holiday to more people than there are Sikhs in the world, (including all those Vanjaria Sikhs that no demographic ever counts).

Those bring up the "celebrate eid as well" argument cant really think they have a valid point, do they? Christmas has basically become a cultural holiday to spend time with your family, eid on the other hand is 100% religious in nature. Not too mention we dont live in Islamic countries, so Eid has no place in vast majority of society here. For the Sikhs who do live in Islamic countries, I dont see anything wrong if maybe they cooked a meal for their Muslim neighbors or some sort of small gesture. Its not as if theyre accepting Islam.

I dont see anyone bitc**** and complaining if non Sikh students/staff join their Sikh friends are partake in celebrating Diwali etc when they have ZERO obligation to do so. Fer ta sare bohat kush hunde ne.

That's a strong point.

I think the big issue is that many Sikh families seem to have more fun at xmas than a Gurpurb.

It's convenient too as well isn't it, I mean EVERYONE gets time off around this time of year so it becomes convenient to get everyone around. In this day and age, with a lot of family breakups and contention, sometimes getting people together like this is a good idea. Seriously, it does seem more like a cultural thing than anything religious from my experiences. I don't even think most goray mention Jesus on that day.

And just because I can see some positives in it, please don't assume I'm a celebrator myself.

Problem though, is young kids raised up like this - they will be looking forward to Christmas more than any other day. This will have some effect on their psyche.

Plus you know, a lot of our grandpas look like santa as well.

Read up on what happened on the 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23rd of December in our history! It is to do with Anandpur Sahib Ji, Dasmesh Pita Ji and his entire family, his Singhs, Sirsa Nadi, Pariwaar Vishorra, battles of Chamkaur Sahib and Mukatsar. Also read up on Guru Ji's arrival at Machiwarra and Dina Nagar.

December is a very sad month for us. We are suppose to reflect deeply and somberly on the events that took place during this month. Don't forget to pray too.

We will be doing just that, thank you for pointing everyone in the right direction. At least, we can spend this time with our Guru and his Family, they will be in our hearts, it is truly a blessing. We will be reciting our banis as well as contemplating lovingly on all the events that took place. It's going to be the time when I will be telling my young children about this very touching episode in our history. Usually, we go to the Gurduwara and spend time there, but this year, we will just stay @ home. Many thanks to you and may God bless you

I swear everytime I look at this thread I feel like I'm in a nightmare where an evil scientist has kidnapped me, put my in a time travelling capsule and dropped me slap bang in the middle of a 1940's Women's Institute meeting in a village hall somehwere in rural Shropshire. I mean who, apart from middle aged women from the 1940's, in this day and age, actually thinks about christianity at xmas time ? :biggrin2:

I swear everytime I look at this thread I feel like I'm in a nightmare where an evil scientist has kidnapped me, put my in a time travelling capsule and dropped me slap bang in the middle of a 1940's Women's Institute meeting in a village hall somehwere in rural Shropshire. I mean who, apart from middle aged women from the 1940's, in this day and age, actually thinks about christianity at xmas time ? :biggrin2:

devout christians and catholics?

devout christians and catholics?

Outside of the Nigerian/Ghanian communities there's about the same number of actual practcising christians in the UK as there are Jedis who belive Luke Skywalker is the son of god.

Get with the programme people. It is 2015...soon to be 2016. Getting and opening presents at xmas as a kid didn't turn me into christian and it won't my kids either. Nor yours. They are kids. Let kids be kids. They are nowhere near as stupid, misinformed or hateful as we adults.