Leather / Animal Skin In Sikhism

Guest Walawala Bing Bong

Guest Walawala Bing Bong

You know how we don't eat meat, bad Karma and all dat.

How comes we can wear leather, shoes, belts, and have tabla's which are made from animal skins in the Gurdwara?

I've also seen scabbards which are made of leather and Kirpan's inside dem. So whats the deal? We don't eat meat but we're allowed to wear it, and we're not allowed to bring meat inside the Gurdwara but slaughtered animal skin (belts, scabbards, tabla) is ok?

Also didn't Bhagat Ravidas do leather work / was a Chamar as proffession so did handle skin etc. But their Bani is in SGGSJ

How comes we can wear leather, shoes, belts, and have tabla's which are made from animal skins in the Gurdwara?

I've also seen scabbards which are made of leather and Kirpan's inside dem. So whats the deal? We don't eat meat but we're allowed to wear it, and we're not allowed to bring meat inside the Gurdwara but slaughtered animal skin (belts, scabbards, tabla) is ok?

Also didn't Bhagat Ravidas do leather work / was a Chamar as proffession so did handle skin etc. But their Bani is in SGGSJ

Only certain Sects in Sikh Faith stick to vegetarianism ( I too am a vegan , even avoiding taking Milk & milk products , but for different reasons ) , other Sects do not stick to it . I feel the arguements are meaningless considering even plants have life , and a single seed is life in itself . Best kirpaan cases are made from leather only . Dhaal , the shielfd used by Kirpan fighters in olden days was best made from Skin of Rhino .So many medicines are made from animal Body , Even Cheese is not perfect Vegan ( To curdle the cheese some extracts from intestines of calfs is used - I stopped eating it for this reason ) . Do we think that cows & Buffalows produce milk for human consumption ? and not for their calves ?Fact is no one can claim to be 100% vegan

Firstly, lol @ your username. Walawala Bing Bong ki hunda

Some previous topics regarding your topic:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/8450-are-we-allowed-2-wear-leather/?hl=%2Bleather+%2Btabla#entry74789

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/56346-wearing-leather-shoes-and-clothes-to-the-gurdwara/?hl=%2Bleather+%2Btabla#entry475869

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/75400-leather-items/?hl=leather

Guest Jacfsing2

(I'll try avoiding being pro-jhatka, and give as unbiased an answer as possible). You should acknowledge that must animal leather is from animals who have already died, and they use the remains to provide some assistance to the Sangat or common folk somehow. Also you are forgetting that nobody can wear shoes to the Gurudwara. (I seriously wonder how you'd be able to go to Hazur Sahib where Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was given Guruship.)

(I'll try avoiding being pro-jhatka, and give as unbiased an answer as possible). Also you are forgetting that nobody can wear shoes to the Gurudwara. (I seriously wonder how you'd be able to go to Hazur Sahib where Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was given Guruship.)

Paji what do you mean nobody can wear shoes to the Gurdwara? Do you mean inside Darbar Sahib or the journey to the Gurdwara, as I don't think everybody goes barefooted getting there.

Guest Jacfsing2

Paji what do you mean nobody can wear shoes to the Gurdwara? Do you mean inside Darbar Sahib or the journey to the Gurdwara, as I don't think everybody goes barefooted getting there.

Sorry, I meant Darbar Sahib, (though I do know some Gurmukhs who didn't live too far away from the Gurdwara that they wouldn't need to bring shoes: Not myself; though).