Guest Jacfsing2

Guest Jacfsing2

Can anyone explain what Chand Di Vaar is about? I tried looking at the meanings but it was still hard. (I appreciate anyone's assistance). I also posted this on Dasam Granth.

Don't know the exact details, but it is a battle of the Hindu Gods. From what I understand heres a quick summary (minus all of the awesome description of the battlefield):

Demons have taken over kingdoms of other gods and are threatning the kingdom of Indra and so Indra goes to Durga to get help. Durga agress and starts a battle to reclaim the kingdoms in which she slays a whole bunch of demons and defeats them.

Second Battle - Demon Commanders Sumbh and Nisumbh try to attack the kingdoms again, so Indra calls Durga for backup. Durga devastates the demons and wins.

Sranvat Beej leads the demon army into another battle. Every time a drop of his blood hits the ground, more demons pop up. Durga is now struggling to kill them all, so she calls Kali for backup. Everytime Durga attacked, Kali would catch the blood on her tongue before more demons respawn. They destroy the whole demon army, and kill Sumbh/Nisumbh. Indra gets the kingdom back.

This might not be the most accurate summary, but I think it explains it pretty well. Otherwise I think you can listen to katha on youtube

Does anyone here know the maryada for Chandi Dee Vaar and when you are/not supposed to read? I read it alot and I don't want to be making any mistakes

Guest Jacfsing2

I appreciate everyone's assistance. Can anyone explain this line in particular: "ਦ੝ਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਸਭੇ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ॥

All the stanza of Durga Path have been composed;

ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਜੂਨੀ ਆਇਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਇਹ ਗਾਇਆ ॥੫੫॥

And that person who understand and sings it, will not take birth again.55." I appreciate that.

I appreciate everyone's assistance. Can anyone explain this line in particular: "ਦ੝ਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਸਭੇ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ॥

All the stanza of Durga Path have been composed;

ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਜੂਨੀ ਆਇਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਇਹ ਗਾਇਆ ॥੫੫॥

And that person who understand and sings it, will not take birth again.55." I appreciate that.

http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,19015

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audio.php?q=f&f=%2FKatha%2F02_Present_Day_Katha%2FGiani_Pooran_Singh_%28Delhi_wale%29%2FChandi_Di_Vaar_Katha

Just some basic links... Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji Rampur Kherawale also has a Sakhi Regarding Chandi Di Vaar

Baba Ji used to recite the prayer called Chandi di Vaar daily, as part of his Nitnem. This is a prayer composed by the tenth Guru, describing a battle between demons and the Goddess called Chandi. It is usually recited by Sikhs during war. Many a time, a question would arise in his mind as to, how many times and at what time one should recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar? Baba Ji asked many Saints and sadhus regarding this question, but could not get a satisfactory answer. One evening, at his room in the fields, after reciting the evening prayer of Rehras, Baba Ji went on to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. After completing this prayer, he prepared to retire by saying his last prayer of Sohila. It was a moonlit night and the doors of the room in which he was sitting, were open. As he had just lain down, he noticed two men approaching at a short distance. Baba Ji thought to himself, that if these pedestrians were just travellers, he would offer them food and shelter for the night and if they were robbers, then he would challenge them in combat. No sooner had this thought entered his mind, than miraculously one of the Singh’s came beside him and grabbed his feet. The other one seized Baba Ji’s head and pinned him down onto the bed. Baba Ji used to tell us, “I was unable to move from the bed. A thought entered my mind that these two, who have moved faster than the speed of light in order to grasp me are neither robbers nor travellers. These two must be Shaheed Singhs (the immortal souls of Sikh martyrs). I began to recite the Mool mantar. I had only uttered the Mool mantar twice when the Singh who held my head down, let go, followed by the second Singh who was holding my feet.” Baba Ji got up and the Shaheed Singh explained, “We did not come here to fight with or seize you, but to answer your question, regarding the correct time to recite the prayer of Chandi di Vaar. As you thought about offering us a fight, we came and immediately seized you, as we did.” The Shaheed Singh continued, “If you start reciting the prayer of Chandi di Vaar after sunset then, one must keep reciting it continuously through the night until dawn. Two or more Singhs may take turns to recite this prayer through the night, it is all right to do so. One must sit upon a clean mat or bed, bathing before reciting the prayer. An oil lamp lit with clarified butter should be kept alight throughout the night. During the day, one can recite Chandi di Vaar as many times as one wants. There is no specific practice to reciting the prayer except that one reads the prayer with devotion and understanding.” After explaining these instructions, the Singh’s disappeared through the doors towards the direction they came from.