Why Are People Saying That Sikhs Aren't Allowed To Eat Meat?

inb4 mods come here and lock this thread

I recommend you read Tau Kio Murgi Marai (why Kill a Chicken) by Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara. Punjabi and English versions are both available online

http://www.vidhia.com/Bhai%20Joginder%20Singh%20Ji%20Talwara/why-kill-a-chicken-english.pdf

Are you part of any nihang singh jathebandi/dal/jatha? if so then after reading you should also ask someone knowledgeable on this subject.

inb4 mods come here and lock this thread

I recommend you read Tau Kio Murgi Marai (why Kill a Chicken) by Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara. Punjabi and English versions are both available online

http://www.vidhia.com/Bhai%20Joginder%20Singh%20Ji%20Talwara/why-kill-a-chicken-english.pdf

Are you part of any nihang singh jathebandi/dal/jatha? if so then after reading you should also ask someone knowledgeable on this subject.

No, I am just a regular Sikh wondering about things. I will take a look at that book, but I've been reading a lot in these forums lately, and most people talk about meat as if it is strictly prohibited, which it is not.

Guest Jacfsing2

First of all, in 1980 a final ruling was made by the Akal Takht that Sikhs are allowed to eat Jhatka meat.

Also, it is written in the Rehat Maryada.

Yes as a Panth we are allowed to eat Jhatka, but Mods will most likely delete this topic. There is one unique thing about Jhatka: it can't be killed from a non-Khalsa! Even Nihang Singhs wouldn't allow themselves to eat meat cut from a manmukh.

Why would you want to kill an innocent, helpless animal to satisfy your tastebuds? You dont need to be a sikh to have compassion.

In the abrahamic faiths, they believe that God created certain animals to be eaten and exploited by man.

Unlike Sikhi, they dont believe that AkalPurkhs jot is inside each and every living being. Everything is the lord. The lord dwells with in his creation.

Yes, plants too contain Gobind. But its a simplier food, a simplier lifestyle, you dont see or experience the pain as you do with slaughtering an animal. It doesnt effect your conscience, you dont feel guilt or anything. I guess its subjective to an extent. Its pointless arguing over it as Maharaj tells us. At the end of the day, whatever we choose to eat, we need to be aware of it, conscious of how it came to be on our plate. And at the end of it all, we alone will be held responsible for our actions.

I'll leave this topic before its locked with a quote from Bhai Gurdas Ji-

"Kuhe Kassai Bakkari, lai loon seekh mass proyia" Hass hass bole kuhidi, khade ak haal eh hoyia, Maas khan gal churi de, haal tinad a kaun aloyia" (Vaar 37-21)

The butcher slaughters the goat; salts the meat and strings it on a skewer.

While being killed the goat laughingly asks: I have come to this condition for grazing only coarse leaves of arid wild plants. What will be the plight of those who cutting the throat with a knife eat the flesh of animals?

You may take a look at a previous topic which was also was locked, as the forum rules point out meat should not be discussed.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/77891-man-accused-of-cow-slaughter-stoned-to-death/page-7

I feel the below post explains everything very well on this subject:

"This post has not much to do with the title of this thread, but as I have seen, it has been shifted to a different level.

All my good brothers and sisters here, attacking each and other mercilessly, it is something which makes me really sad. we are nobody to condem anybody.

We can surely disagree on some issues, but we must keep in mind, at the end of the day, each and everyone is responsible for his/her choices or destiny; and as such we should not force anything on anybody, rather we should treat with respect.

Gurmat, is the only valid science which can unite criteria, if, only we follow Gurbani implictly. I too live in this world, and I do have friends who eat meat, but that should not be an hindrance or barrier to go along on common issues. They respect me, I too respect them, and believe it, respect is a very nice virtue, it makes us more human.

So following are my two cents, which I would like to share with all of you, irrespective of if you eat meat or not... drink or not, smoke or not, because ultimately, what matters is if I still continue loving Wahiguru with His grace.

Satguru Nanak, in Raag Gauree Chaytee, sheds some light about if we can eat meat, fish, eggs, fowl, etc .......

KAYTAY RUKH BIRAKH HAM CHEENAY KAYTAY PASOO UPAA-AY.

I TOOK THE FORM OF SO MANY PLANTS AND TREES, AND SO MANY ANIMALS.

KAYTAY NAAG KULEE MEH AA-AY KAYTAY PANKH UDAA-AY.

MANY TIMES I ENTERED THE FAMILIES OF SNAKES AND FLYING BIRDS.

First of all, He is telling us that, all life forms have souls in them, that is why He says we have been born several times as plants, trees(vegetable kingdom), animals (mammals), snakes, birds(those born from eggs) ..... He clearly states all life forms have souls.

So that is why, killing them or eating them is a sin. Actaully, all life forms have souls. Even eating vegetabes create karmas, and add to our already heavy burden. This creation is so wisely designed by Kal Purukh, that he has set up this net to keep entangled souls in this part of the creation under his jurisdiction. No way to escape from it.

But as we have to live here, and we can not avoid creating karmas, Gurmukhs advice us to collect the least amout of karmas.

All creation is made of 5 tattwas or elements. And the amount of these tattwas, single or combined present in the living forms, is what makes heavier or lighter, to our karmas created.

The first category is of the vegetable kingdom, which has only one tattwa active in them , and that is water.

The second category is of the insects: in them only 2 elements are active, which are: fire and air.

The 3rd category belongs to the bird kingdom, in them only 3 elements are active: water, fire and air.

The 4th category belongs to the mammals or four legged animals, in them except ether or akash is dormant, the rest 4

are active.

In the 5th category comes the human being, in him all the 5 elements are active, that is what distinguishes him from the rest of the creation, the element akash, gives him the reasoning faculty, known also as "budh" along with intelligence.

Now this was a short and a quick description of the physical creation.

Lets now take the following example, to ilustrate the topic being disscused above:

Let us imagine, seeing someone pluking a flower from somebody´s garden, the owner sees him and give him a good scolding.

2nd case, somone kills the dog of this same fellow, the case can be reported to the police and the infractor can be fined.

After some time, someone kills this man´s horse, this time the infractor can be jailed.

After sometime again, some dacoit enters this man´s house and kills the house owner, this time the dacoit can be hanged, for his crime. So as we can see, for each infraction there has been a punishment, according to the degree of of the infraction commited.The punishment depends on the degree of the level of conciousness present in that particular form of life, consequently depends on the degree of the tattwas present or active in that form of life.

We can not live in this creation without creating karma; and so, if we have to create karma by force, let us create or collect the least amount of it; that is why it is recomended to live on the vegetarian diet, by doing that, we collect the minnimum karma on our heads. The kiling in this creation is done on each step and is unavoidable, but by going for a vegetarian diet, killing is done to a lower level of conciousness, which means it´s effects are softer, and thus bearable. It is easier, to walk wearing a shirt, than to have 100 pounds of weight on our heads.

As any normal person can see by himself or herself, in no place is written, that eating anything, like even spinachs or drinking water, killing is not involved, on the contrary, it clearly states that,life in this creation is based on life, but having said that, it is now for us to decide how much karma one wants to put on one´s head....

And these karmas collected in this way of vegetarian diet, along with a moral life ... can easily be paid, or cleared off with the help of Nam Bhakti.

This is why true Gurmukhs stress upon vegetarian diet. Those who are meant to stay here, and roll up and down in the chaurasee ka chakar for quite some time, shall never accept these recomendations, they will say eat, and drink to your brim, who has seen tomorrow, spirituality is hallucination...or even go to the extent of manipulating the Bani, and say, there is no harm in eating this way or the other way, the non veg diet .....

Weak people ....justifying their weaknesses.

But this weaknesses, is sure to give them pain. As it is said what you sow, so shall you reap. This is the law of karma. You sow pain, just for the pleasure of your tongue, you shall reap pain and suffering. Or, where is it seen that, you sow chilies and one reaps apples?

How stupid and silly to think that way. But,even to be silly or stupid, one has the freedom to be so.

But the fact is nobody can manipulate the Bani just like that, as long as His Gurmukhs keep coming , and put us on the right tracks, by giving us the right view of their predecessors, in the sacred Bani.

Sat Sree Akal."

You may take a look at a previous topic which was also was locked, as the forum rules point out meat should not be discussed.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/77891-man-accused-of-cow-slaughter-stoned-to-death/page-7

I feel the below post explains everything very well on this subject:

"This post has not much to do with the title of this thread, but as I have seen, it has been shifted to a different level.

All my good brothers and sisters here, attacking each and other mercilessly, it is something which makes me really sad. we are nobody to condem anybody.

We can surely disagree on some issues, but we must keep in mind, at the end of the day, each and everyone is responsible for his/her choices or destiny; and as such we should not force anything on anybody, rather we should treat with respect.

Gurmat, is the only valid science which can unite criteria, if, only we follow Gurbani implictly. I too live in this world, and I do have friends who eat meat, but that should not be an hindrance or barrier to go along on common issues. They respect me, I too respect them, and believe it, respect is a very nice virtue, it makes us more human.

So following are my two cents, which I would like to share with all of you, irrespective of if you eat meat or not... drink or not, smoke or not, because ultimately, what matters is if I still continue loving Wahiguru with His grace.

Satguru Nanak, in Raag Gauree Chaytee, sheds some light about if we can eat meat, fish, eggs, fowl, etc .......

KAYTAY RUKH BIRAKH HAM CHEENAY KAYTAY PASOO UPAA-AY.

I TOOK THE FORM OF SO MANY PLANTS AND TREES, AND SO MANY ANIMALS.

KAYTAY NAAG KULEE MEH AA-AY KAYTAY PANKH UDAA-AY.

MANY TIMES I ENTERED THE FAMILIES OF SNAKES AND FLYING BIRDS.

First of all, He is telling us that, all life forms have souls in them, that is why He says we have been born several times as plants, trees(vegetable kingdom), animals (mammals), snakes, birds(those born from eggs) ..... He clearly states all life forms have souls.

So that is why, killing them or eating them is a sin. Actaully, all life forms have souls. Even eating vegetabes create karmas, and add to our already heavy burden. This creation is so wisely designed by Kal Purukh, that he has set up this net to keep entangled souls in this part of the creation under his jurisdiction. No way to escape from it.

But as we have to live here, and we can not avoid creating karmas, Gurmukhs advice us to collect the least amout of karmas.

All creation is made of 5 tattwas or elements. And the amount of these tattwas, single or combined present in the living forms, is what makes heavier or lighter, to our karmas created.

The first category is of the vegetable kingdom, which has only one tattwa active in them , and that is water.

The second category is of the insects: in them only 2 elements are active, which are: fire and air.

The 3rd category belongs to the bird kingdom, in them only 3 elements are active: water, fire and air.

The 4th category belongs to the mammals or four legged animals, in them except ether or akash is dormant, the rest 4

are active.

In the 5th category comes the human being, in him all the 5 elements are active, that is what distinguishes him from the rest of the creation, the element akash, gives him the reasoning faculty, known also as "budh" along with intelligence.

Now this was a short and a quick description of the physical creation.

Lets now take the following example, to ilustrate the topic being disscused above:

Let us imagine, seeing someone pluking a flower from somebody´s garden, the owner sees him and give him a good scolding.

2nd case, somone kills the dog of this same fellow, the case can be reported to the police and the infractor can be fined.

After some time, someone kills this man´s horse, this time the infractor can be jailed.

After sometime again, some dacoit enters this man´s house and kills the house owner, this time the dacoit can be hanged, for his crime. So as we can see, for each infraction there has been a punishment, according to the degree of of the infraction commited.The punishment depends on the degree of the level of conciousness present in that particular form of life, consequently depends on the degree of the tattwas present or active in that form of life.

We can not live in this creation without creating karma; and so, if we have to create karma by force, let us create or collect the least amount of it; that is why it is recomended to live on the vegetarian diet, by doing that, we collect the minnimum karma on our heads. The kiling in this creation is done on each step and is unavoidable, but by going for a vegetarian diet, killing is done to a lower level of conciousness, which means it´s effects are softer, and thus bearable. It is easier, to walk wearing a shirt, than to have 100 pounds of weight on our heads.

As any normal person can see by himself or herself, in no place is written, that eating anything, like even spinachs or drinking water, killing is not involved, on the contrary, it clearly states that,life in this creation is based on life, but having said that, it is now for us to decide how much karma one wants to put on one´s head....

And these karmas collected in this way of vegetarian diet, along with a moral life ... can easily be paid, or cleared off with the help of Nam Bhakti.

This is why true Gurmukhs stress upon vegetarian diet. Those who are meant to stay here, and roll up and down in the chaurasee ka chakar for quite some time, shall never accept these recomendations, they will say eat, and drink to your brim, who has seen tomorrow, spirituality is hallucination...or even go to the extent of manipulating the Bani, and say, there is no harm in eating this way or the other way, the non veg diet .....

Weak people ....justifying their weaknesses.

But this weaknesses, is sure to give them pain. As it is said what you sow, so shall you reap. This is the law of karma. You sow pain, just for the pleasure of your tongue, you shall reap pain and suffering. Or, where is it seen that, you sow chilies and one reaps apples?

How stupid and silly to think that way. But,even to be silly or stupid, one has the freedom to be so.

But the fact is nobody can manipulate the Bani just like that, as long as His Gurmukhs keep coming , and put us on the right tracks, by giving us the right view of their predecessors, in the sacred Bani.

Sat Sree Akal."

If the mods will lock this post, then why is the thread about Abrahamic religions and sacrifice allowed? That's about meat as well?

Why would you want to kill an innocent, helpless animal to satisfy your tastebuds? You dont need to be a sikh to have compassion.

In the abrahamic faiths, they believe that God created certain animals to be eaten and exploited by man.

Unlike Sikhi, they dont believe that AkalPurkhs jot is inside each and every living being. Everything is the lord. The lord dwells with in his creation.

Yes, plants too contain Gobind. But its a simplier food, a simplier lifestyle, you dont see or experience the pain as you do with slaughtering an animal. It doesnt effect your conscience, you dont feel guilt or anything. I guess its subjective to an extent. Its pointless arguing over it as Maharaj tells us. At the end of the day, whatever we choose to eat, we need to be aware of it, conscious of how it came to be on our plate. And at the end of it all, we alone will be held responsible for our actions.

I'll leave this topic before its locked with a quote from Bhai Gurdas Ji-

"Kuhe Kassai Bakkari, lai loon seekh mass proyia" Hass hass bole kuhidi, khade ak haal eh hoyia, Maas khan gal churi de, haal tinad a kaun aloyia" (Vaar 37-21)

The butcher slaughters the goat; salts the meat and strings it on a skewer.

While being killed the goat laughingly asks: I have come to this condition for grazing only coarse leaves of arid wild plants. What will be the plight of those who cutting the throat with a knife eat the flesh of animals?

Why would you want to kill an innocent, helpless plant to satisfy your tastebuds? You don't need to be a sikh to have compassion?

Plants are actually not much simpler than animals. A lot simpler than humans, yes, but not animals. Plants "want" to live just as much as animals.