Racist Manager At Work

Big_Tera

Can you document or record his behavior in any manner? Are you able to record some very specific behavior or pattern of behavior that crosses the line? Are other witnesses present? How large is the organization?

Be a pillar. Show absolutely no fear. Look him in the eye and do your job. If you lose your job, you will get a better one being a fearless leader. Do not punch him unless he attacks you physically. The game he is playing is a mental game, you can defeat his mind. The racist is about perceived power as much as race. If he sees you have power, his response to you may change, no different than in a physical fight.

Additional options:

If he yells or gets angry and you are able to do so in front of others and you are willing to risk your employment, look at him in the eyes and say something calmly but confidently along the lines of "that's no way to respectfully talk to someone in the workplace". In my experience sometimes you turn bullies into your puppy. You may also not be employed there, but that's their loss, not yours.

Document very specific unassailable points in a written memorandum or email to him and cc higher ups. Tell them if the situation is not addressed, you will take further action with respect to harassment and bullying. But you must be specific. It is not racism to the larger world because you think it is and they know that. An outsider will generally have to see it as such. Regardless abuse due to any reason is not acceptable.

If there is something more specific he is doing for which you wish feedback, let us know.

Some good overarching snippets of advice above. However you handle this start to operate and think in a principled manner as someone fighting for others not just yourself. You'll be a happier person in the long run. When we look at only our best survival interest in these situations, we leave ourselves weak and open to becoming the very bullies we despise.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes as pointed out by Singhni I dont have many rights as I am not a paid employee with a employment contract.

Thankfully I am only working at this place 2 days a week and I am not getting paid. Its just a placement that I am on. Thats the strange thing about this whole thing. Its not like I am being paid just a casual placement job. So why this Manager is so aggrieved that I am there I have no clue. He seems incredibly jealous and insecure it is unbelievable.

I think he sees me as a threat because I get on with everyone else so much and I don't think he is liked by anyone. So he resents me for this. I have never experienced managers like this before. But I will be glad when I eventually leave this place with my certificate and do not have to see this person ever again.

Another issue is their is girl there that he likes but this girl spends alot of time with me which I think is also causing tension. Even though I have made it clear I am not interested in this girl.

Sometimes when you are extra nice to people especially mangers who are being nasty to you - you get surprising results.

How about just taking him a box of sweets and saying thankyou for all your help. You are a great inspiration to me.

I know its hard to do - but worth a try.

If he throws the box out and about and makes a nasty remark - then you know for sure - he's really bad and burning inside.

If he smiles and accepts it and shares with others - well good for you and him.

If he gives you those looks then you know - well I was right.

Sometimes I have realised we judge people wrong and start imagining plenty of things and start focussing on the wrong side of things.

Well worth a try - let us know how it worked.

You will meet with plenty more people of the sort during your work life.

I remember a lady who volunteered with me - and the manager told me to stand up to her ordering me around. Yours however seems a different sort of problem.

Every place I have worked in, I have met people who particularly dont like me, so you got to find a way to sort these feelings out within yourself too and stay focussed on your task and on your continued development.

Negative people do not deserve the energy which you spend worrying about them. Use your time and energy constructively as remember you have a limited supply of both. The future stretches out long ahead with many more problems.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes as pointed out by Singhni I dont have many rights as I am not a paid employee with a employment contract.

Thankfully I am only working at this place 2 days a week and I am not getting paid. Its just a placement that I am on. Thats the strange thing about this whole thing. Its not like I am being paid just a casual placement job. So why this Manager is so aggrieved that I am there I have no clue. He seems incredibly jealous and insecure it is unbelievable.

I think he sees me as a threat because I get on with everyone else so much and I don't think he is liked by anyone. So he resents me for this. I have never experienced managers like this before. But I will be glad when I eventually leave this place with my certificate and do not have to see this person ever again.

Another issue is their is girl there that he likes but this girl spends alot of time with me which I think is also causing tension. Even though I have made it clear I am not interested in this girl.

Geez, if you can just get out of there with a decent reference, count yourself blessed. I've seen this a few times, so it isn't that uncommon.

Bhaji

Trust me, the anger and heartache is not worth it.

I've been here and done this before. I've learnt from my mistakes.

In all honesty, you need to keep doing what you're doing in the right way and keep your head down at the same time. This will add to your character and test your personal resolve.

You will be a stronger person for acknowledging that there may be some negativity towards you in some way, but you have to fight it by being quiet and ignoring it.

I have been in exactly the same situation. I took the wrong path and let my heat inside me burn so much that i do regret some of the things that i did. I did what you were thinking of doing, i smashed up a section of the open office. Computers, screens, desks, mugs, you name it - i let it all out. I had very heated exchanges with my Boss in the open office and accused him of discrimination. I confronted my Boss and asked him to his face about having a problem with me - i like to be honest and share my feelings and it did not work, just got lies and excuses and denial from him. I drove one of the company cars straight into his car in the carpark at high speed. I did some stupid things and i'm honestly going to tell you not to do stuff like that. It's not worth it when you look back.

If you cant manage to keep quiet and may feel as though you shouldn't have to isolate yourself from everyone, then you need to elevate your experience firstly to the HR department and then become a member of the Union and have a representative to give you advice if you want to go public and make an official complaint.

First and foremost, just remember that you are not guilty of anything, just keep your head down and do the work. Keep calm and get advice from the correct channels. Just like Bhenji said above, you need to ask God why this is happening and listen to the answer - which will be to do the right thing and not stoop to a level you have never to before. Just be a decent person at work and support the team. There are always going to be haters, but it takes a change in your attitude to never think like that, as long as you know you are doing the right thing.

Bhul Chukk Maaf

Bhaji

Trust me, the anger and heartache is not worth it.

I've been here and done this before. I've learnt from my mistakes.

In all honesty, you need to keep doing what you're doing in the right way and keep your head down at the same time. This will add to your character and test your personal resolve.

You will be a stronger person for acknowledging that there may be some negativity towards you in some way, but you have to fight it by being quiet and ignoring it.

I have been in exactly the same situation. I took the wrong path and let my heat inside me burn so much that i do regret some of the things that i did. I did what you were thinking of doing, i smashed up a section of the open office. Computers, screens, desks, mugs, you name it - i let it all out. I had very heated exchanges with my Boss in the open office and accused him of discrimination. I confronted my Boss and asked him to his face about having a problem with me - i like to be honest and share my feelings and it did not work, just got lies and excuses and denial from him. I drove one of the company cars straight into his car in the carpark at high speed. I did some stupid things and i'm honestly going to tell you not to do stuff like that. It's not worth it when you look back.

If you cant manage to keep quiet and may feel as though you shouldn't have to isolate yourself from everyone, then you need to elevate your experience firstly to the HR department and then become a member of the Union and have a representative to give you advice if you want to go public and make an official complaint.

First and foremost, just remember that you are not guilty of anything, just keep your head down and do the work. Keep calm and get advice from the correct channels. Just like Bhenji said above, you need to ask God why this is happening and listen to the answer - which will be to do the right thing and not stoop to a level you have never to before. Just be a decent person at work and support the team. There are always going to be haters, but it takes a change in your attitude to never think like that, as long as you know you are doing the right thing.

Bhul Chukk Maaf

What job were u doing at the time , did u find a better job

I was an IT Consultant and i took my job seriously.

My end result was to take action via HR and get a union rep on my side. We had meetings upon meetings and most of it was fabricated by his denial, then i took the initiative to just keep quiet and carry on doing my job. That Manager knew he couldn't handle me, but i didn't want to intimidate him, because i knew at the time i could easily take his head of, but i wouldn't resolve anything.

I didn't give into his powers, but i changed my attitude and learned to ignore him. I humbled myself and ask God - if this is the way its meant to be, then let it be - i knew i was the stronger person. Not that i wanted to prove my strength, but i felt that i was being oppressed for no reason or fault of my own. I like to stand up against that kind of stuff and i always will do, there's just a way of doing it correctly.

At the end of the day, you see these people 40+ hours a week, so you don't want any friction at all. Just leave people to be how they are and do your own thing.

Best of luck with it all.

I moved on and found a better job later on. He was not the reason for the change at all, but i just excelled to a different level.

Even if i was still in the same job with the same manager, i have the strength to look past these things. The more you may think about it, the more you may even attract. Surround yourself with positive energy. Be chardi kalaa at all times.