Books About 20Th Century Sikh Experiences / History In India?

MisterrSingh

Apologies if someone is wondering why I start topics in this section of the site. I don't consider myself an intellectual in any form; too much of a pendu for that, lol.

Anyway, are there any books which look at Sikh history in the 20th century in reference to our experiences in India, preferably 1947 to the 1990's? Basically, how we've been treated by the Indian government as a collective, not just individual experiences on a local level? Are there such books?

Just type sikh history in amazon. Many of them come up. Take your pick. Order, pay, read and share.

Train to Pakistan is a must read I would say.

It seems like Khushwant Singh is a good writer from the reviews and has written a number of good books.

For some reason there's always been a bit of a negative perception around Khushwant Singh. Isn't he anti-Sikh (or at least heavily pro-India?)

He has known quite a bit of Indians like Gandhi Ji.

ByThe Riddleron 16 February 2009
Every Sikh should read it. It is the warts and all history of the Sikh religion - my religion. Makes such a change from all the usual guff that gets handed down from generation to generation. This guy has done his homework.

Kushuvant Singh is widely recognised as one of India's finest historians and writers, yet even he took a long time to assimilate the horror of Partition before finally publishing The Train to Pakistan nine years later. Singh was living in Lahore and his Sikh family had little choice but to head for India, leaving their home and valuables in the care of a trusted Muslim friend who protected both and later sent everything to his friends - even the half-drunk bottles of alcohol in the drinks cupboard.

"Gandhi Ji"?

Get out of it, lol. Plus, the reviewer who calls Sikh history that's passed down as "guff" isn't my idea of a ringing endorsement.

Regardless, I'll be getting Khushwant Singh's Sikh history volumes because I'd like a scholarly view on Sikh history from a sociological perspective, because unfortunately the gianis and parcharaks fail to provide such information. It's not their job tbf, but a little awareness on that front would be cool.

Try Cynthia Keppley Mahmood's objective account of the Sikh Independence Struggle "Fighting for Faith and Nation". She wrote another one, which I haven't read, called "A Sea of Orange: Writings on the Sikhs and India" which sounds like exactly the sort of thing you're looking for.

I'd also recommend "The Game of Love" by Harjinder Singh. Not so much a scholarly undertaking as one embarked upon out of pyaar. It offers a much more intimate portrayal of the Kharkus, Singhs and Singhnis involved in turbulence of the 80's/90's.

There aren't all that many books focusing on the treatment of Sikhs at the hands of India - most writers on Sikh history would rather frolic about in the 18th and 19th centuries, where all discussion is strictly academic.

Thanks, Balkaar Singh. Those sound exactly like the type of titles I'm after.

I've decided to start with Khushwant Singh's 2 volumes on Sikh history to get a thorough grounding on the subject on a sociological and political level at least. I'm aware if I'm expecting any theological enlightenment I will be disappointed, lol. But I realised that, aside from accounts from sakhis, my knowledge of what life was like for Sikhs in the times of our Gurus, in terms of the grittiness of everyday life, was sorely lacking.

Those Mahmood books sound brilliant.

Thanks again.