Can A New/updated Rehat Maryada Help Unify Sikhi?

SadSingh

Almost all our debates or discussions revolve around many things which are written in the rehat maryada. After a debate and discussion everybody goes back to there previously held position and no one wants to change there view, even with evidence. this is because everyone is attached to a jethabandi and what ever is the view of there jetha, thats there view and no one will change from that.

Different groups ie nihangs,nanaksar,akj,taksal,sants,baba, samprada ect.

have there own maryada. to unify the panth it would be great if all groups put there own maryadas down and come up with one that everyone can agree and follow.

the sgpc did a good job of trying to do this and came up with one alot of people agree with, but some groups did not agree, for a maryada to be followed by whole panth everyone must agree. many steps have been taken in the past to amend the maryada so the whole panth is on one page.

for instance jethadar ranjit singh had a plan to gather all jathas and samprada in darbar sahib and lock them in a room and food will be provided to them. they would not leave until everyone agreed with one maryada. the plan fell through because the dharam yudh morcha was launched and everyones energy and attention went to that.

also the sant samaj got together about the maryada issue they took the akal thakhat maryada and wrote some points where they believed needed to be added and elaborated they came up with a rough draft. all the sant samaj read it and signed there name saying they agreed with it. some of the deras who were part of the sant samaj practiced anti gurmat activities at there deras. once they signed the sant samaj rough draft they got rid of those practices

baba hari singh randawa met with jethadhar gurcharan singh tohra and give him the rough draft. jethedhar sahib read it and said this rough draft is almost the same as the current maryada, it shouldnt be difficult to make one maryada. jathadhar said this is the first task i will do, but sadly he passed away shortly

all sampradas should work to update the current maryada so panth can be united. all groups should lay aside there difference and work toward having one maryada everyone agrees with.

after everyone agrees to the maryada all sampradas and sants should sign there name and video tape the event so no person can back out or reject the maryada later on. we should tell the jathedars and samprada heads that we want a united maryada, lets make this a movement so differences can be eliminated from the panth

Guest Jacfsing2

No, a new Maryada will not unify the Panth. What will unify the Panth is being put into tough situations. Being forced into choosing between the entire Panth and Guru Sahib and between our Jatha leaders and our personal groups.

Hypothetically speaking, how amusing would it be if Das Paatshaiya manifested during one of these summits where every leader / Sant from the myriad Jathas were present, and Guru Sahib asked them, "It's me (they are One after all) or your Jatha. Take your pick."

How quickly these shrewd and clever men would scramble to disassociate themselves with the groups and sects they've cultivated over the decades! Gone in a flash.

Guest Jacfsing2

alot of steps have been taken to make a single maryada, look at what i have listed in the first post. the sant samaj have all agreed to one so it shouldn't be difficult

NO Nihang was even involved when the Panthic Maryada was made, nor was anyone from the Buddha Dal.

NO Nihang was even involved when the Panthic Maryada was made, nor was anyone from the Buddha Dal.

Khalsa Ji

doesnt the sant samaj include the nihang samprada. this is what im talking about if there was any short comings in the maryada before lets have all jathebandies sit down and update the previous maryada so everyone will agree this time. all jathebandies want panth to be united. lets put our differences aside and work for panthic unity

Brother,

what we really need is to be good at the bottom of our hearts. Goodness is essential to walk any spiritual path, and so is with Sikhee also.

Otherwise it is all politics.

Lets us ask ourselves, what Maryada do we really need, when we do not follow even in dreams, that what Guru Jee tells us in the Bani.

Anything which takes us to Wahiguru, is maryada.

If not, it is as said above, just politics.

And so what is it that takes us nearer to Him?

Is it a set of rules and regulations?

No.

It is a pure heart, and mind, all that we need, in order to be able to do His chintan adecuately, because ultimately, only this bandagee will take us to His Darbar.

I agree that as a community we need to draw a line somewhere and stand united, but if due to all this paraphernalia, we fail at a personal level in following Gurmat explicitly, we shall always remain as loosers and it is also shameful.

I am not discouraging anything or anybody, I just want to bring awareness of the only thing that really matters, and that is putting into practice the basics of the Bani in our daily lives, thus having Him present not at some particular moments, but at all times.

We are sikhs not because of the world, but we are sikhs because of Wahiguru alone, to realize Him within and without, is our sole objective for being born as humans.

Sat Sree Akal.

While going through Guru Jee´s Bani, following are their beautiful and precious Satbachans, which I find are the base, for the Maryada which we are looking for.

And who better than Guru Jee can guide us, to adjust and mould our lives in such a way, that while living in the mayavee creation abd fulfilling our worldly duties, we also accomplish the goal of our lives as human beings, by following Gurmat and merge our surtees in Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

ਸਬਦੰ ਰਤੰ ਹਿਤੰ ਮਇਆ ਕੀਰਤੰ ਕਲੀ ਕਰਮ ਕ੍ਰਿਤੁਆ

Sabadhan Rathan Hithan Maeiaa Keerathan Kalee Karam Kirathuaa

सबदं रतं हितं मइआ कीरतं कली करम क्रितुआ

1)To be imbued and attuned to the Word of the Shabad;

2)to be kind and compassionate;

3) and to sing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises -

these are the most worthwhile actions in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga.

Salok Sehshritee, Dhan Dhan Satguru Arjan Dev Maharaj.

Sat Sree Akal.