Pyare Harsharan000 ji, I feel as if that line is flawed because when people worship and do jaap of 'spirits' the bhakti does indeed go to God Sri Vaheguru.

There is a long story in our dharm where it says that the character 'Ajamal' was a religious Brahmin who went offtrack in bhakti, and he started living a negative life full of paaps with a prostitute partner.

A group of sadhus who seemed to be partly antarjami realized how Ajamal went nastik, and felt bad for them and told him to name his next child 'Narayan' (Narayan is known as a form of Sri Vishnu in Sanatan Dharm, those people knew Sri Vishnu as Narayan).

By naming Ajamal's child Narayan, everyone who called upon Narayan(Ajamal's son) recieved punyas, because remembering or saying the name of God even once is recorded as a punya.

Now, my point was that if you worship a spirit who has the name of God, and you call it God, you indeed do recieve punyas by doing their name's jaap.

Such as how sanatan hindus do jaap of Sri Ram Raja as 'ram ram hare hare', they will recieve punyas because RAM is the name of God as well.

See what I am saying? Har, hare! Another point is we believe in Non-duality, meaning God and us are not different, Ik Onkar=there's only one, and we merge into that one when it chooses to let us merge. This is all a play, a natak. Bhul chuk maaf kijye Sri Vaheguru!!

Dear Preeet Jee,

I am sorry to disagree with your saying, that the line written by me above you find it flawing ....

Our brothers Kira Jee and Sikhni777 have provided quite a few quotations and Shabads from the Bani, where the true rank of these main gods like Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva is clearly stated.

I hate to discuss these issues, because it may seem to some, there is some type of ninda or disrespect to these gods ....

But it is also a fact that I have to be true to myself .

And one thing I will surely say, a lot of brahmanvadee is influencing us, thus we are going off track in Sikhee.

Thus we are mistaking simple traffic police officers as the Royal King ...which is not correct at all.

Jap Ji Sahib, clearly makes significant differences between these 3 main deities, and the only eternal Truth, One Supreme Wahiguru Akal PuruKh = IkOankar.

The following line gives us a small hint of the Infinite Wahiguru

ਆਦਿ ਅਨੀਲੁ ਅਨਾਦਿ ਅਨਾਹਤਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਏਕੋ ਵੇਸੁ

Aadh Aneel Anaadh Anaahath Jug Jug Eaeko Vaes

आदि अनीलु अनादि अनाहति जुगु जुगु एको वेसु

The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same

While referring to the 3 deities, it says:

ਏਕਾ ਮਾਈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਵਿਆਈ ਤਿਨਿ ਚੇਲੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ

Eaekaa Maaee Jugath Viaaee Thin Chaelae Paravaan

एका माई जुगति विआई तिनि चेले परवाणु

The One Divine Mother conceived and gave birth to the three deities.

*In the above line, the divine mother is referred to Maya. If one wants to know about the beginning of the creation and Wahiguru/ Satnam, I would suggest to read the fantastic book of Bhagat Kabeer Sahib, titled Anurag Sagar, which can be found online from several authors, it is just to get an idea about Satnam, Naam, Shabad, gods, maya, kaal, mind , etc .

Then in the following line, their role in the mayavee creation is cleary described

ਇਕੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਲਾਏ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ

Eik Sansaaree Eik Bhanddaaree Eik Laaeae Dheebaan

इकु संसारी इकु भंडारी इकु लाए दीबाणु

One, the Creator of the World; One, the Sustainer; and One, the Destroyer.

Then in the following line, Guru Jee tells us, that even after giving to each of them their particular duties to perform, they have no free will by themselves, but all of them three act under His Hukum.

ਜਿਵ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਵੈ ਚਲਾਵੈ ਜਿਵ ਹੋਵੈ ਫੁਰਮਾਣੁ

Jiv This Bhaavai Thivai Chalaavai Jiv Hovai Furamaan

जिव तिसु भावै तिवै चलावै जिव होवै फुरमाणु

He makes things happen according to the Pleasure of His Will. Such is His Celestial Order

And still in the following line, Guru Jee clearly says, that even while having such high duties assigned by Him, the wonderful thing is, they know nothing about Him.

ਓਹੁ ਵੇਖੈ ਓਨਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਏਹੁ ਵਿਡਾਣੁ

Ouhu Vaekhai Ounaa Nadhar N Aavai Bahuthaa Eaehu Viddaan

ओहु वेखै ओना नदरि न आवै बहुता एहु विडाणु

He watches over all, but none see Him. How wonderful this is!.

* This is because, their abodes are very much within the limits of maya, only Wahiguru is beyond the region of Brahm, that is why He is called also Parbrham Parmeshwar

So dear all, nobody is denying their existence, but the fact is they all are just administrating the mayavee creation under His Hukum, they are in no way any substitute for Wahiguru.

Swarg, Baikunth, Shivpuri, is all within maya.

It would not be appropiate to say, that if I want to go to America from India, and I buy a ticket (offer devotion) which due to its cost(simran of words like Ram, Raheem, Krishna, Shiva and so on) can only take me to Afghanistan, or even then that just by buying that ticket and boarding the plane, I will reach America.

No. That will never be possible

The cost of the ticket going to America, is Naam or Shabad(Simran of the Gurmanter Wahiguru).

The Bani says: Nanak Naam Jahaz hae, jin chareeya seh utareeya paar.

Gurmat is much much higher, rather I would say the highest or the only path to the eternal Truth, Wahiguru.

In Gurmat, we may do Simran of Wahiguru, just as other dharmas do of their deities, but the difference between Gurmat and other other dharmas, including brahmanvadee lies in that, their simran takes them at most to the heights of Swarg or Baikunth for example, while with the gurmanter we reach the Shabad Guru within, with whose guidance and wisdom, we then cross the region of maya or Braham, thus reach Parbraham, and then direct to Sach Khand, at the Lotus Feet of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Such is mahanta of Sikhee or Gurmat.

With the simran of lesser deities or trinity gods, we at most reach their abode, but never become one with them, because they are not the ultimate Reality.

While with the Gurmanter, we reach Sach Khand and merge in Him, and become Him.

That is why the bani says: Jevad aap, tevad Teree Daat. To those who meditate on Him, He gives Himself to them, nothing less, such a bountiful giver is Wahiguru.

I am sorry, if I have hurt anyone, but at least for me, none is comparable to our beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

He alone, He is.

Sat Sree Akal.

Dear Preeet Jee,

I am sorry to disagree with your saying, that the line written by me above you find it flawing ....

Our brothers Kira Jee and Sikhni777 have provided quite a few quotations and Shabads from the Bani, where the true rank of these main gods like Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva is clearly stated.

I hate to discuss these issues, because it may seem to some, there is some type of ninda or disrespect to these gods ....

But it is also a fact that I have to be true to myself .

And one thing I will surely say, a lot of brahmanvadee is influencing us, thus we are going off track in Sikhee.

Thus we are mistaking simple traffic police officers as the Royal King ...which is not correct at all.

Jap Ji Sahib, clearly makes significant differences between these 3 main deities, and the only eternal Truth, One Supreme Wahiguru Akal PuruKh = IkOankar.

The following line gives us a small hint of the Infinite Wahiguru

ਆਦਿ ਅਨੀਲੁ ਅਨਾਦਿ ਅਨਾਹਤਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਏਕੋ ਵੇਸੁ

Aadh Aneel Anaadh Anaahath Jug Jug Eaeko Vaes

आदि अनीलु अनादि अनाहति जुगु जुगु एको वेसु

The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same

While referring to the 3 deities, it says:

ਏਕਾ ਮਾਈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਵਿਆਈ ਤਿਨਿ ਚੇਲੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ

Eaekaa Maaee Jugath Viaaee Thin Chaelae Paravaan

एका माई जुगति विआई तिनि चेले परवाणु

The One Divine Mother conceived and gave birth to the three deities.

*In the above line, the divine mother is referred to Maya. If one wants to know about the beginning of the creation and Wahiguru/ Satnam, I would suggest to read the fantastic book of Bhagat Kabeer Sahib, titled Anurag Sagar, which can be found online from several authors, it is just to get an idea about Satnam, Naam, Shabad, gods, maya, kaal, mind , etc .

Then in the following line, their role in the mayavee creation is cleary described

ਇਕੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੀ ਇਕੁ ਲਾਏ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ

Eik Sansaaree Eik Bhanddaaree Eik Laaeae Dheebaan

इकु संसारी इकु भंडारी इकु लाए दीबाणु

One, the Creator of the World; One, the Sustainer; and One, the Destroyer.

Then in the following line, Guru Jee tells us, that even after giving to each of them their particular duties to perform, they have no free will by themselves, but all of them three act under His Hukum.

ਜਿਵ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਵੈ ਚਲਾਵੈ ਜਿਵ ਹੋਵੈ ਫੁਰਮਾਣੁ

Jiv This Bhaavai Thivai Chalaavai Jiv Hovai Furamaan

जिव तिसु भावै तिवै चलावै जिव होवै फुरमाणु

He makes things happen according to the Pleasure of His Will. Such is His Celestial Order

And still in the following line, Guru Jee clearly says, that even while having such high duties assigned by Him, the wonderful thing is, they know nothing about Him.

ਓਹੁ ਵੇਖੈ ਓਨਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਏਹੁ ਵਿਡਾਣੁ

Ouhu Vaekhai Ounaa Nadhar N Aavai Bahuthaa Eaehu Viddaan

ओहु वेखै ओना नदरि न आवै बहुता एहु विडाणु

He watches over all, but none see Him. How wonderful this is!.

* This is because, their abodes are very much within the limits of maya, only Wahiguru is beyond the region of Brahm, that is why He is called also Parbrham Parmeshwar

So dear all, nobody is denying their existence, but the fact is they all are just administrating the mayavee creation under His Hukum, they are in no way any substitute for Wahiguru.

Swarg, Baikunth, Shivpuri, is all within maya.

It would not be appropiate to say, that if I want to go to America from India, and I buy a ticket (offer devotion) which due to its cost(simran of words like Ram, Raheem, Krishna, Shiva and so on) can only take me to Afghanistan, or even then that just by buying that ticket and boarding the plane, I will reach America.

No. That will never be possible

The cost of the ticket going to America, is Naam or Shabad(Simran of the Gurmanter Wahiguru).

The Bani says: Nanak Naam Jahaz hae, jin chareeya seh utareeya paar.

Gurmat is much much higher, rather I would say the highest or the only path to the eternal Truth, Wahiguru.

In Gurmat, we may do Simran of Wahiguru, just as other dharmas do of their deities, but the difference between Gurmat and other other dharmas, including brahmanvadee lies in that, their simran takes them at most to the heights of Swarg or Baikunth for example, while with the guramter we reach the Shabad Guru within, with whose guidance and wisdom, we cross the region of maya or Braham, thus reach Parbraham and then direct to Sach Khand, at the Lotus Feet of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Such is mahanta of Sikhee or Gurmat.

With the simran of lesser deities or trinity gods, we at most reach their abode, but never become one with them, because they are not the ultimate Reality.

While with the Gurmanter, we reach Sach Khand and merge in Him, and become Him. That is why the bani says: Jevad aap, tevad Teree Daat. To those who meditate on Him, He gives Himself to them, nothing less, such a bountiful giver is Wahiguru.

I am sorry, if I have hurt anyone, but at least for me, none is comparable to our beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

He alone, He is.

Sat Sree Akal.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji beautifully wrote in Chaupai Sahib.

ta ko kar pahn anumant maha moorh kcho bhaid na jant mahadaiv ko keht sda siv nirankar ka chint neh bhiv. (16)
The fools consider Him a stone, for He does not know the Profound Mysterym that is God. He calls Shiva, The Eternal Lord, and does not know the secret of the Formless Lord. (16)
I apologize for the lack of Gurmukhi.
Guru Sahib also mentions in the Pure Bani of Japji Sahib about the various Realms. One such realm is the Realm of Gyan (or Spiritual Knowledge). The Pauri Beautifully illustrates how these powerful beings are still bound Maya, that Brahma,Vishnu,Shiva. There are countless numbers of them.

j35a.gif

But then Guru Sahib goes on and describes those who are fortunate enough to be blessed with the name.

j37a.gif

If we're to go by the order of the Realms, Karam Khand where the Devotees of the Lord reside, is far closer and far higher up than Gods and Goddesses.
To a Sikh they should be of no importance.
Regarding your Pauri about the one divine mother. I hadn't heard that interpretation of that, that actually has helped me understand some things I was struggling with. Mine has always been that The Divine Mother is referring to Akaal Purkh and the giving of the birth is referring to 3 of his countless aspects. The 3 most people seem to stress over. Creation, Sustaining and Destroying.
That was beautifully written.

Harsharan paji, one thing I don't understand is I know those spirits, deities, should not do anything that is not the hukam of God, but then there are people that go to those people(babas) that worship them and get bad experiences from them. So is that the play of the person (baba) or of the deities, spirits etc? Where is the line drawn? Also can a person (baba), as they are called, misuse the deities powers? And what happens if they do?

Agree with your comment of not being easy to have faith and love for Waheguru without their hukam, one may try very hard, but it will only happen with Gods grace.

Sister,

let us not mix the terms deities and spirits.

Spirits can be good or bad, but the deities or devtas are virtuous. They are to do good or help to the good and punish the bad. They by themselves have higher powers watching over them, they can not do anything just like that, otherwise they will have to pay for their avarice, greed or kaam...

As we are nor perfect and as general rule, I would say to stay in the safe side, we must base our lives according to Gurmat, that by itself will be a Laksman rekha. which will protect us from maya, kaal, and all the possible evil.

Sat Sree Akal.

Sister,

let us not mix the terms deities and spirits.

Spirits can be good or bad, but the deities or devtas are virtuous. They are to do good or help to the good and punish the bad. They by themselves have higher powers watching over them, they can not do anything just like that, otherwise they will have to pay for their avarice, greed or kaam...

As we are nor perfect and as general rule, I would say to stay in the safe side, we must base our lives according to Gurmat, that by itself will be a Laksman rekha. which will protect us from maya, kaal, and all the possible evil.

I'm sorry Harsharan paji I should have wrote spirits only, as I know people that have been to some and had bad experiences, such as things got worse in their lives, and still some go, so I'm a bit confused as to how they fall into place in Gods creation. As there is normally a person worshipping to them and claiming to have certain powers. Is this true and is it right to do that? I do not know much about spirits, thus asking ji. Some Sikhs go to these places and get drawn in by it, so the bit I don't understand is are the people (babas) they see doing things in hukam or not? And if somebody stops participating in that side, then what is the best way to come back into Sikhi?

Sat Sree Akal.

Sorryji my way of asking is confusing.

Harsharan paji,

1)one thing I don't understand is I know those spirits, should not do anything that is not the hukam of God, but then there are people that go to those people(babas) that worship them and get bad experiences from them.

2)So is that the play of the person (baba) or of the, spirits etc?

3)Where is the line drawn?

4)Also can a person (baba), as they are called, misuse the deities powers?

5)And what happens if they do?

6)And if somebody stops participating in that side, then what is the best way to come back into Sikhi?

Sister Simran345,

I will try the best as possible to answer your questions. I am no authority, but just my own thoughts based on my beliefs on Gurbani.

1) Spirits by themselves hardly do anything, unless they are very disturbed. It is more the impressions we have due to the film industry.

Hukum tells us to do good, Hukum never says to do bad or misbehave, but we still do what we want, though having to pay for it, so these babas can also not act accordingly as per laws of Nature, or we can say act within the limits of morality.

But frankly speaking, these spirits move mostly on the astral subtle sub planes.

They are just like us humans, with the very mind, and all the vikaars, only that they have no physical body. Their body is ethereal, or astral. All are gathered somewhere there in that plane, waiting to incarnate in a joonee to settle their karmas, mostly to get their trishnas satisfied, or if their karmas are extremely good, that soul goes to Swarg or Baikunth, or some heavenly paradise, and when those fruits are over, they fall down into the gross creation in any joonee with the remanant karmas, and not necessarily in the human form .....

2) Call it a play if you want, but ultimately they are creating more karmas and adding to their already heavy load of them.

3) The line can only be drawn, by not going to those places and by Naam Bhakti, otherwise we humans are very weak.

4) Of course they can, in that lies the free will given to us, to choose what we want to do.

5) If we do good, we shall get good in return. if we do bad, we invite pain and misery for us. And this law is universal, be it whosoever, human, animal, angel, devi, devta or gods, any forms of lives at any levels of consciousness.

6) The best way, is to abandon it as soon as possible, and then repent in not doing any foolishnes again and hold on to Gurbani firmly. And holding on to Gurbani, is nothing else, but to do His Simran "aath paher" or "saas saas simroh Gobind".

This is the only medicine to be taken, then all pain and misery shall flee away, and at the same time fill us, with His Power, Himself, what else do we want sister then, or what is left to be done?

We should Love Him with all our heart, and loving Him or doing His devotion, means to have Him present in our chits, with His Naam Simran alone.

Sat Sree Akal.

The reason the names of god are added to these Devi/Devta is because their own ego made them take them. Brahma calling himself all knowing, Vishnu calling himself blotless etc etc

This video explains why calling these gods and goddesses these names isn't the same as worshiping god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rh2KzeJJZ0

If you want to start twisting the Sakhi of Ajameel and use it to justify it following these imperfect beings then let's now use Bhagat Dhanna's story to worship stones too, It's a constant lack of insight into the meaning of these stories that people seem to forget.

You may as well start praying to a chair or something as God is indiscriminately present in all. There isn't more god in one place or another. The people people who's seva is worthwhile is that of Akaal Purkh and his saints. Calling anything other than god and giving them characteristics is the most foolhardy thing someone can do. Why call Shiva the destroyer when he can be destroyed? Why call Vishnu the Preserver when the Lord God is the one doing that? Why refer to Brahma as all knowing when the only being who is all knowing is Waheguru.

These are names the gods starts referring to themselves as, or people did. Like it or not you're worshiping the gods not Akaal Purkh. The same way bowing to a stone is idol worship and nothing else.

People should just read the Sri Dasam Granth Ji and see the actual nature of these gods and goddess. Rather than trying to twist and warp Sikh philosophy just read passages from that. Akaal Purkh made it abundantly clear (yes I said Akaal Purkh as there is a section where the words of the divine lord is actually eulogized) what these gods and goddesses are doing and why worshiping them is completely wrong.

We all know Bhagat Kabir Jee was a great soul, a lover of God, we have gone through His Bani in the SGGS.

Today I was just surfing on the net, and I found this following poem of Kabeer Jee, which is very interesting, very inspirational, and which goes much with the topic of this very thread, thus I would like to share here it with the sangat.

Here it goes:

Bhaai, koi satguru sant kahaawe, nainan alakh lakhaawe.

Dolat Dige, na bolat bisare, jab updesh driDhawe.

Pran pujya, kiriya te nyara, sahaj samaadhi sikhaawe.

Dwaar na rundhe, pawan na roke, nahi anahad arujhaawe.

Yah man jaay jaha lag, jabahi, parmaatam darasaawe.

Karam kare, nihkaram rahe jo, aisi jugut lakhaawe.

Satt vilaas, traas nahi man me, bhog me jog jagaawe.

Dharati tyaagi, akasahu tyaage, adhar madaiyaa chhawe.

Sunn sikhar ke saar sila par, aasan achal jamaawe.

Bhitar raha so baahar dekhe, dooja drishTi na aawe.

Kahat Kabir basa hai hansaa, aavagaman miTaawe.

Kabir says - O brother, rare is the Saint Satguru who shows me unknowable.

He has given me such a firm knowledge that no one can shake it. It can’t be forgotten, neither can it be shaken off, such strong knowledge he has given to me.

He had shown me something dearer than my own life, beyond any actions, he has taught me to do effortless meditation. Now I don’t stop my sense organs, I don’t control my breaths, neither I get entangled in anahad sound(the sounds in meditation or yoga which make possible our reach up to Trikuti).

Now wherever and whenever the mind goes, it sees the supreme only. He has taught me such a method that even while I perform the action, I am beyond the actions.

Now I abide in Truth, having no pain in the mind. Now even in pleasures of this world I am in constant union with my beloved. I have abandoned the earth and the sky both and have made my hut in between.

On the rock of the great void, I sit and do the effortless meditation.

Now what is within is also without, what is inside is also outside, now there is no other at all.

Kabir says – the pure soul has taken such a place that the cycle of birth and death has come to an end.

If we read and understand this poem carefully, we can see that just as in Gurmat, He clearly only lays stress and utmost importance to the devotion of Naam Simran above any other practices, which are totally futile, in our goal of acheiving Him.

In the end He also says, that doing this type of devotion, one cuts off the chains forever from the mayavee creation and reach the region of Absolute Truth, Sach Khand.

Sat Sree Akal.

Thanku ji twada, meri mat thori a, very grateful that you take out precious time to educate ji.

Pen jee Simran345,

how can you be so hard with me, in your ending line with the words "to educate ji" ?

I believe you did not meant it that way, but that is how people get wrong impressions, and the problems start .... specially with some narrow minded ones.

First of all, I am no one to educate anybody at all. It all dependes on our recptivity as persons, as human beings...

Then, rather I would be grateful, if I am taken as a friend, as a brother of the sangat here ....

We are His children, there is nothing great in giving a helping hand where needed, and be thankful to all to have a opportunity to sing and listen His apaar mahima.

We are all sikhs, learners..... He alone is the Gurmukh, is the Sadhu, Bhagat Jan or Guru Sahiban.

Sat Sree Akal.