What is karma, how does it work, and how can it be erased?

Karma is the cosmic law of action and reaction.

Under its control, we souls in the material world, reap good or bad results according to each act we perform.

Karmic reactions include not only things that happen to us, but such things as our health, wealth, intelligence, physical appearance, and social status, as well as our personalities and inclinations.

While we have some freedom to choose our current acts, our choices are influenced by our natures, or personalities, which have developed from our previous actions. For example, good choices tend to make us good persons who make further good choices.

The law of karma begins to act upon us, when we desire to enjoy separately from Wahiguru, and it locks us into an endless cycle of births and deaths.

Each action begets a reaction, that begets another action, and so on.

Whether the reactions are good or bad, we must repeatedly accept new bodies for the reactions to play out.

And each lifetime in a material body, means unavoidable miseries, such as disease, old age, and death.

While the Bani tells us, that the only truly beneficial course of actions or karam, is to perform such spiritual acts, that can gain us freedom from the bonds of karma.

Spiritual acts, such as sewa and love for Wahiguru, are the essence of Bhakti.

They awaken our innate love for Wahiguru, and destroy our desires to enjoy separately from Him, which is the root of our karmic bondage.

And true sewa or love of Wahiguru, is churned through His Simran, which detaches us from all mayavee creation, and attaches our surtee to His Lotus Feet.

The Bani says: Prabh ka Simran, garb na baseh.

His Simran is the highest and only true bhakti.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 21/05/2017 at 9:57 AM, harsharan000 said:

Who is Guru: This second word Guru does not require much explaining:

It simply means a Guide, a Master, someone who removes darkness, an Enlightener. But the third and fourth words, Surat dhun need careful study.

This is the word that requires the most explanation.  The vedant school wants others to believe the Guru is a guide, and a master. Which can be anyone, even animals. Look at Gurbani and the most important aspect is the Guru along with Vaheguru.  Sri Anand sahib says the vedas has the Naam but Naam cannot be obtained from them.  Why can't Naam be obtained from the vedas?  Because they don't know Shabad Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  The vedant school students have been searching deep inside of them for 1000 of years and none of them came to receive Naam. All their 4 ways amount to nothing. This includes devi and devta who the vedant school worships.  No amount of searching inside will lead anyone to Naam without the True Guru.  

The people of this world are lost because they are misled on who the Guru is.  This is the biggest problem we have in the world.  When people start to know who the True Guru is they will follow the teachings because the Guru and the t4teachings are one.  

If I learned anything from Gursikhs, its to always direct anyone to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  Never speak your own words.  Tell the person to learn from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  Instead the above article says......look at me, pay attention to me, I have the answer.  This reminds me of watching Vedanta school teachers teach their non sense.  They want all the attention.  Gurbani is the opposite, praising Vaheguru and True Guru always and on every Ang.  The praise of the Guru is so sweet to Gurmukhs.  The praise of the Guru is all they want.  How do we praise the Guru, by singing about his attributes, understanding his teachings, and praising his actions.    

3 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

What is karma, how does it work, and how can it be erased?

Karma is the cosmic law of action and reaction.

Under its control, we souls in the material world, reap good or bad results according to each act we perform.

Karmic reactions include not only things that happen to us, but such things as our health, wealth, intelligence, physical appearance, and social status, as well as our personalities and inclinations.

While we have some freedom to choose our current acts, our choices are influenced by our natures, or personalities, which have developed from our previous actions. For example, good choices tend to make us good persons who make further good choices.

The law of karma begins to act upon us, when we desire to enjoy separately from Wahiguru, and it locks us into an endless cycle of births and deaths.

Each action begets a reaction, that begets another action, and so on.

Whether the reactions are good or bad, we must repeatedly accept new bodies for the reactions to play out.

And each lifetime in a material body, means unavoidable miseries, such as disease, old age, and death.

While the Bani tells us, that the only truly beneficial course of actions or karam, is to perform such spiritual acts, that can gain us freedom from the bonds of karma.

Spiritual acts, such as sewa and love for Wahiguru, are the essence of Bhakti.

They awaken our innate love for Wahiguru, and destroy our desires to enjoy separately from Him, which is the root of our karmic bondage.

And true sewa or love of Wahiguru, is churned through His Simran, which detaches us from all mayavee creation, and attaches our surtee to His Lotus Feet.

The Bani says: Prabh ka Simran, garb na baseh.

His Simran is the highest and only true bhakti.

Sat Sree Akal.

Free will under influence of anything is no free choice.  Free to choose mean an independent choice and not influenced in anyway by Vaheguru.  If such choice exist, which it doesn't, Vaheguru would not be all knowing or all doing.  If karma can be erased, it is a show of how Vaheguru can't make a perfect karma system.  Karma cannot be erased.  Nor can it be changed.  So what happens when a person turns to Guru Sahib and leaves karma.  He was meant to turn at that point to Guru Sahib.  Only Guru Sahib can put anyone on the path.  No one by free choice can be put on the path.  When a person who turned to Guru Sahib falls back into bad acts, he has according to hukam.  Vaheguru created this perfect world and in the same instant set out the perfect path and set everyone perfectly on the path of life.  Vaheguru is perfect and nothing of his perfect karma system needs to be changed or erased.  Always thank Vaheguru for the second he allows you to repeat his name.  

Anyone trying to sell religion by saying a person has free will is selling you useless info.  Vaheguru chooses, acts, and completes.  Vaheguru does all.  

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect Guidance from the Bani, on what we should devote,and how should we devote Him, in the form of Artee.

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ ਮਜਨੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ॥

Naam Thaero Aarathee Majan Muraara

Your Name, Lord, is my adoration and cleansing bath

ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਝੂਠੇ ਸਗਲ ਪਾਸਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Har Kae Naam Bin Jhoothae Sagal Paasaarae ||1|| Rehaao ||

Without the Name of the Lord, all ostentatious displays are useless

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਸਨੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਉਰਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਸਰੋ ਲੇ ਛਿਟਕਾਰੇ ॥

Naam Thaero Aasano Naam Thaero Ourasaa Naam Thaeraa Kaesaro Lae Shhittakaarae ||

Your Name is my prayer mat, and Your Name is the stone to grind the sandalwood. Your Name is the saffron which I take and sprinkle in offering to You.

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਭੁਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਚੰਦਨੋ ਘਸਿ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਉ ਚਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

Naam Thaeraa Anbhulaa Naam Thaero Chandhano Ghas Japae Naam Lae Thujhehi Ko Chaarae ||1||

Your Name is the water, and Your Name is the sandalwood. The chanting of Your Name is the grinding of the sandalwood. I take it and offer all this to You. ||1||

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਬਾਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤੇਲੁ ਲੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥

Naam Thaeraa Dheevaa Naam Thaero Baathee Naam Thaero Thael Lae Maahi Pasaarae ||

Your Name is the lamp, and Your Name is the wick. Your Name is the oil I pour into it.

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਭਇਓ ਉਜਿਆਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਸਗਲਾਰੇ ॥੨॥

Naam Thaerae Kee Joth Lagaaee Bhaeiou Oujiaaro Bhavan Sagalaarae ||2||

Your Name is the light applied to this lamp, which enlightens and illuminates the entire world. ||2||

ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤਾਗਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਫੂਲ ਮਾਲਾ ਭਾਰ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਗਲ ਜੂਠਾਰੇ ॥

Naam Thaero Thaagaa Naam Fool Maalaa Bhaar Athaareh Sagal Joothaarae ||

Your Name is the thread, and Your Name is the garland of flowers. The eighteen loads of vegetation are all too impure to offer to You.

ਤੇਰੋ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਿਆ ਅਰਪਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਚਵਰ ਢੋਲਾਰੇ ॥੩॥

Thaero Keeaa Thujhehi Kiaa Arapo Naam Thaeraa Thuhee Chavar Dtolaarae ||3||

Why should I offer to You, that which You Yourself created? Your Name is the fan, which I wave over You. ||3||

ਦਸ ਅਠਾ ਅਠਸਠੇ ਚਾਰੇ ਖਾਣੀ ਇਹੈ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਹੈ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ ॥

Dhas Athaa Athasathae Chaarae Khaanee Eihai Varathan Hai Sagal Sansaarae ||

The whole world is engrossed in the eighteen Puraanas, the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and the four sources of creation.

ਕਹੈ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਭੋਗ ਤੁਹਾਰੇ ॥੪॥੩॥

Kehai Ravidhaas Naam Thaero Aarathee Sath Naam Hai Har Bhog Thuhaarae ||4||3||

Says Ravi Daas, Your Name is my Aartee, my lamp-lit worship-service. The True Name, Sat Naam, is the food which I offer to You.

Just amazing...just beautiful... Sat Bani

Sat Sree Akal.