Simran as means of devotion:

Many of us, think, that devotion to the Lord consists of several outer activities.

You see, Wahiguru is One without second. He is like the powerful magnet who attracts us towards Himself.

But then, how does He attracts us? Or how do we get attracted to Him?

It is by His Simran alone.

That is why the Bani says: Prabh ka Simran, sabh te oochaa. There is nothing comparable to it. It is the highest devotion which one can offer it at His Lotus Feet..

All other activities, are mere shadows of mannmat, which lead us nowhere.

One may say, what is this ? Don´t you ever have anything else to say, apart from His Simran?

You are constantly hammering on Simran alone, in terms of devotion....

Well, it is not me, nor my personal opinion.

It is the very Bani, which insists so much. It is only, that we do what we see others do or say.

And that is not correct. We should pay attention with our eyes wide open, to only what the Bani says.

Following are the words of Dhan Dhan Satguru Sachay Patshah Arjun Dev Maharaj, where we can see by ourselves the supreme importance in doing the right type of bhakti.

He says:

ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪਿ
Ath Pehar Prabh Ka Japau Jaap
आठ पहर प्रभ का जपु जापि
Twenty-four hours a day, chant God's Chant.
He clearly says 24 hours .
You see, if the day had 25 or 26 hours, one could do 24 hours Simran, and the remaing time other karamkaands. But no, He says, do His Simran 24 hours.
Now we may ask, how to do 24 hours Simran?
The answer is : khaateh, peeteh, chalteh, phirteh, sovat, jaagat, visar na jaat ... premee sunoh prem kee baat.
Apart from this His constant Simran, we should try to sit for some time, and meditate on His Naam, so that our surtee soars up in the spiritual realms within, and savour the taste of Bliss, which cometh out of this His Simran.
Sat Sree Akal.

We all know Bhagat Kabir Jee was a great soul, a lover of God, we have gone through His Bani in the SGGS.

Today I was just surfing on the net, and I found this following poem of Kabeer Jee, which is very interesting, very inspirational, and which goes much with the topic of this very thread, thus I would like to share here it with the sangat.

Here it goes:

Bhaai, koi satguru sant kahaawe, nainan alakh lakhaawe.

Dolat Dige, na bolat bisare, jab updesh driDhawe.

Pran pujya, kiriya te nyara, sahaj samaadhi sikhaawe.

Dwaar na rundhe, pawan na roke, nahi anahad arujhaawe.

Yah man jaay jaha lag, jabahi, parmaatam darasaawe.

Karam kare, nihkaram rahe jo, aisi jugut lakhaawe.

Satt vilaas, traas nahi man me, bhog me jog jagaawe.

Dharati tyaagi, akasahu tyaage, adhar madaiyaa chhawe.

Sunn sikhar ke saar sila par, aasan achal jamaawe.

Bhitar raha so baahar dekhe, dooja drishTi na aawe.

Kahat Kabir basa hai hansaa, aavagaman miTaawe.

Kabir says - O brother, rare is the Saint Satguru who shows me unknowable.

He has given me such a firm knowledge that no one can shake it. It can’t be forgotten, neither can it be shaken off, such strong knowledge he has given to me.

He had shown me something dearer than my own life, beyond any actions, he has taught me to do effortless meditation. Now I don’t stop my sense organs, I don’t control my breaths, neither I get entangled in anahad sound(the sounds in meditation or yoga which make possible our reach up to Trikuti).

Now wherever and whenever the mind goes, it sees the supreme only. He has taught me such a method that even while I perform the action, I am beyond the actions.

Now I abide in Truth, having no pain in the mind. Now even in pleasures of this world I am in constant union with my beloved. I have abandoned the earth and the sky both and have made my hut in between.

On the rock of the great void, I sit and do the effortless meditation.

Now what is within is also without, what is inside is also outside, now there is no other at all.

Kabir says – the pure soul has taken such a place that the cycle of birth and death has come to an end.

If we read and understand this poem carefully, we can see that just as in Gurmat, He clearly only lays stress and utmost importance to the devotion of Naam Simran above any other practices, which are totally futile, in our goal of acheiving Him.

In the end He also says, that doing this type of devotion, one cuts off the chains forever from the mayavee creation and reach the region of Absolute Truth, Sach Khand.

Sat Sree Akal.

Would you please let me know the ang which this shabad is from. Many thanks.

Would you please let me know the ang which this shabad is from. Many thanks.

Sikhni777 penji it's not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. It's a poem by Bhagat Kabir ji praising God and describing Naam Simran as Paji Harsharan ji explained.

"Satt vilaas, traas nahi man me, bhog me jog jagaawe.

Dharati tyaagi, akasahu tyaage, adhar madaiyaa chhawe."

"Now I abide in Truth, having no pain in the mind. Now even in pleasures of this world I am in constant union with my beloved. I have abandoned the earth and the sky both and have made my hut in between."

With the beloved, God, through Naam Simran. Made my hut in between, matlab ke una di atma ne rab de Naam Di khulee banaleyi, (in a spiritual sense)? If I'm understanding this Harsharan ji?

Sikhni777 penji it's not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

It is true what Simran says, otherwise I would have surely mentioned , the Ang or Raag from SGGS

It's a poem by Bhagat Kabir ji praising God and describing Naam Simran as Paji Harsharan ji explained.

"Satt vilaas, traas nahi man me, bhog me jog jagaawe.

Dharati tyaagi, akasahu tyaage, adhar madaiyaa chhawe."

"Now I abide in Truth, having no pain in the mind. Now even in pleasures of this world I am in constant union with my beloved. I have abandoned the earth and the sky both and have made my hut in between."

With the beloved, God, through Naam Simran. Made my hut in between,

matlab ke una di atma ne rab de Naam Di khulee banaleyi, (in a spiritual sense)? If I'm understanding this Harsharan ji?

Yes Simran jee, I would say you are preety right.

The only thing I would like to add or clear is, when Kabeer Jee says He has abandoned earth and sky and made His hut in between, He means to say that, though He is in the physicall body like us human beings , moves around and looks alike us....

But there is a huge difference between us and them Gurmukhs, Sant Janas, their surtee is beyond the region of Brahm, in Parbraham , which is between Sach Khand and Parbrahm. It is to this location, where Kabeer Jee refers in His next line of the poem, when He says:

Sunn sikhar ke saar sila par, aasan achal jamaawe. On the rock of the great void, I sit and do the effortless meditation.

The region of Parbraham, is a region of inmense void, only a Gurmukh can cross and reach that place, so to say, and there, they are absorbed in the Anhad Shabad, and while being there, it is from there where they project themselves in the human form at the gross level, and in the astral and causal planes, their swaroop is of Jot in accordance to those planes, and as we move above and above, we shall see their Sat Shabad swaroop.

These Sant Janas, true Gurmukhs do not come to create any new religion, that is not their purpose, they only come with the message of Wahiguru Akal Purukh, to awaken us in the Truth of Satnam or Shabad, which we know also as Gurmat, as in the Gurbani. It is we people that after they have gone, turn out their teachings into rituals, ceremonies and outer activities, binding them into a so called religion, which have not even an atom of Truth. Because we want to hold on everything else, but not the Naam or Shabad, to which, all of them give absolutely supreme importance.

Sat Sree Akal.

Wahiguru is our paalanhaar, our sustainer, we have heard it many times.

Many a times we are afraid, that if we give more time and attention to Wahiguru, through His devotion or abhyaas, who will look after our work, our family, our jobs...etc.

For that our doubt and uncomplete faith, Sree Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, assures us that, if we give our heart , mind and body without any reservation to Him, He will not leave us, rather hold us tighter like a mother to its baby child.

Satgur sikh kaa, halat palat savaarai.
The True Guru, arranges this world and the next for His Sikh.

The thing is we profess love and devtion to Wahiguru according to our limited and polluted minds, but according to our Guru Sahibans, when we love somebody we want to please that being, by doing what it likes most....

Wahiguru, is also a jealous lover.

He wants us to give ourselves totally to Him, by surrendering our ego, our bondages, our ignorance....just by only doing what He expects from us, which is to live and love Him according to the Bani.

He does not wants our money, nor properties...nothing, but only our mind and soul, full of humility, love, devotion, and fear of not doing anything, which He could dislike...

Toon Thakur Beant, kou virla jaane...

The essence, the objective of the realization of the Supreme divinity in Gurmat, is Wahiguru through His Naam or Shabad.

Following are the words of Sachay Patshah Dhan Dhan Satguru Arjun Dev Maharaj in Raag Maroo, where He clearly states, that doing any other type of Bhakti or devotion, is as good as being corrupted or polluted with filth, and as such, we can never ever merge in Him, do whatever we may.

ਨਾਨਕ ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਆਲੂਦਿਆ ਜਿਤੀ ਹੋਰੁ ਖਿਆਲੁ

Naanak Vin Navai Aloodhia Jithee Hor Khial

नानक विणु नावै आलूदिआ जिती होरु खिआलु

O Nanak, without the Name, other thoughts are polluted and corrupt.

* One can see that Guru Sahibans , Gurmukhs, do not need to give big big complicated lectures, to convey us the simple yet profound spiritual truths.

In just a line of 6 or 7 words, they disclose all the depth, all the inmensity of true spirituality .....

Why or how is that possible?

Because they are the very embodiment of the Supreme Truth.

Sat Sree Akal.

The essence, the objective of the realization of the Supreme divinity in Gurmat, is Wahiguru through His Naam or Shabad.

Following are the words of Sachay Patshah Dhan Dhan Satguru Arjun Dev Maharaj in Raag Maroo, where He clearly states, that doing any other type of Bhakti or devotion, is as good as being corrupted or polluted with filth, and as such, we can never ever merge in Him, do whatever we may.

ਨਾਨਕ ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਆਲੂਦਿਆ ਜਿਤੀ ਹੋਰੁ ਖਿਆਲੁ

Naanak Vin Navai Aloodhia Jithee Hor Khial

नानक विणु नावै आलूदिआ जिती होरु खिआलु

O Nanak, without the Name, other thoughts are polluted and corrupt.

* One can see that Guru Sahibans , Gurmukhs, do not need to give big big complicated lectures, to convey us the simple yet profound spiritual truths.

In just a line of 6 or 7 words, they disclose all the depth, all the inmensity of true spirituality .....

Why or how is that possible?

Because they are the very embodiment of the Supreme Truth.

Sat Sree Akal.

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ बिलावलु महला ५ ॥ Bilāval mėhlā 5. Bilawal 5th Guru.

ਭੂਲੇ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਜਿਨਹਿ ਬਤਾਇਆ ॥ भूले मारगु जिनहि बताइआ ॥ Bẖūle mārag jinėh baṯā▫i▫ā.

One who shows the Lord's path to the erring mortal;

ਐਸਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ऐसा गुरु वडभागी पाइआ ॥१॥ Aisā gur vadbẖāgī pā▫i▫ā. ||1||

such a Guru is found by the greatest good fortunate.

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਚਿਤਾਰੇ ॥ सिमरि मना राम नामु चितारे ॥ Simar manā rām nām cẖiṯāre.

O my soul, contemplate and utter thou the Lord's Name.

ਬਸਿ ਰਹੇ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ बसि रहे हिरदै गुर चरन पिआरे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Bas rahe hirḏai gur cẖaran pi▫āre. ||1|| rahā▫o.

The Guru's loved feet are enshrined within my mind. Pause.

ਕਾਮਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਲੋਭਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਨਾ ॥ कामि क्रोधि लोभि मोहि मनु लीना ॥ Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ mohi man līnā.

My mind is engrossed in lust, wrath, avarice and worldly attachments.

ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਗੁਰਿ ਕੀਨਾ ॥੨॥ बंधन काटि मुकति गुरि कीना ॥२॥ Banḏẖan kāt mukaṯ gur kīnā. ||2||

Snapping my bonds the Guru has emancipated me.

ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਕਰਤ ਜਨਮਿ ਫੁਨਿ ਮੂਆ ॥ दुख सुख करत जनमि फुनि मूआ ॥ Ḏukẖ sukẖ karaṯ janam fun mū▫ā.

Enduring weal and woe, the mortal comes and goes again and again.

ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਗੁਰਿ ਆਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਦੀਆ ॥੩॥ चरन कमल गुरि आस्रमु दीआ ॥३॥ Cẖaran kamal gur āsram ḏī▫ā. ||3||

The Guru's lotus feet bless him with peace.

ਅਗਨਿ ਸਾਗਰ ਬੂਡਤ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ अगनि सागर बूडत संसारा ॥ Agan sāgar būdaṯ sansārā.

In the ocean of fire, the world is being drowned.

ਨਾਨਕ ਬਾਹ ਪਕਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ॥੪॥੩॥੮॥ नानक बाह पकरि सतिगुरि निसतारा ॥४॥३॥८॥ Nānak bāh pakar saṯgur nisṯārā. ||4||3||8||

Holding me by the arm the True Guru has saved me, O Nanak.

Raag Bilaaval Guru Arjan Dev Ji Ang 803

post-24162-0-41785900-1443561220_thumb.j

Simran Jee,

beautiful Shabad above of Fifth Patshahee.

It is one of my most favourites.

Thank you.

Following is a Shabad sung by Amarjit Singh Patiala Wale. Titled: " Bin Har Simran "

The voice is powerful and melodious also, and the Bani as usual is Amrit, for our souls.

Sat Sree Akal.