Sikhs Tv Channels

Big_Tera

Why do we only see brown faces on these channels. On other faith channels like christian and muslim stations we often see white/black/asian people talking about their faiths.

If Sikhs care about spreading the message and bringing people to Sikhism why dont we see other race people apart from Punjabi people.

Im pretty sure if white people saw other white Sikhs on the show they would be more interested to know more about Sikhism. At the moment we Sikhs just look like a very insular community who are only interested in themselves.

All we have is mostly Kirtan. How is this going to attract people to Sikhism. we need more shows about becoming a Sikh and how to practice Sikihsm. Not just music which is not exactly reaching our youth.

Why do we only see brown faces on these channels. On other faith channels like christian and muslim stations we often see white/black/asian people talking about their faiths.

If Sikhs care about spreading the message and bringing people to Sikhism why dont we see other race people apart from Punjabi people.

Im pretty sure if white people saw other white Sikhs on the show they would be more interested to know more about Sikhism. At the moment we Sikhs just look like a very insular community who are only interested in themselves.

All we have is mostly Kirtan. How is this going to attract people to Sikhism. we need more shows about becoming a Sikh and how to practice Sikihsm. Not just music which is not exactly reaching our youth.

Have you tried to contact them?

Best to give these suggestions to them.

Update us..

I'll tell you 3 of the main things the Sikh Channels are doing wrong, i.e putting off the young Sikhs :

1. Stop having dramatic music over the news stories. This is a Bollywood / Indian news invention because the average Indian can't concentrate on news unless there is a music score accompanying it telling him how he should be feeling about the news story. The Sikh channels in the west should realise that they should not be dumbing we Sikhs down to that same level. We're more than capable of following a news story without a soundtrack.
  2. Stop doing siftah of yourselves all the time. Every single time they interview anyone they always have this question: "The Sikh Channel . sangat Tv / Akal Tv are doing a dastar day / march on downing street / camp in italy etc etc, what do you have to say about what we're doing ? Would you're not agree that we're really brilliant and are doing a great thing ? We're really really brilliant arn't we ? "
  3. For once, whenever they're showing a kirtan programme or a gurdwara somewhere, how about for once telling us where they actually are. A simple caption on screen saying, for example, Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Vincenza, Italia. Thats all we ask for. Just tell us what we're looking at.
  4. If you're showing a programme that was recorded at an earlier date, so is obviously not Live, do NOT put a caption up on screen saying 'D-Live', i.e delayed live. That means nothing and is frankly an insult to our intelligence. If its not live its simply not live. Don't try and dress it up as a nonsence 'D-Live' programme. 'D-Live' is the stupidest idiotic concept ever.
  5. Find the man who first suggested the 'D-Live' idea at the weekly board meeting and slap him.
  6. Whenever, in future, any announcement is beiing made from any Gurdwara or elsewhere about an upcoming programme, give the microphone to that one person making the announcement, keep the camera shot on him, and tell the 132 other people that have crowded all around him in order to be in the TV camera shot to get lost.
  7. Understand that there is a probably a limit to how many times the sangat at large can watch and listen to 3 or 4 old men talking boringly about the same subjects over and over and over again. Understand that we probably reached our limit about 5 years ago and its just getting silly now.
  8. Get more Italian born Kaurs on. And Singhs. But mostly Kaurs. In fact forget the Singhs. Just the Kaurs. I like the way they talk and could listen to them all day.

There isn't enough Coverage about what good we're accomplishing. I feel any time some good movement takes place, THEY need to contact Sikh Channel. It should be the other way around. Bap Surat Singh Ji was heavy coverage from what I know (I don't really watch Sikh Channel all that much) but it seems to have died down. Their becoming more and more like typical media channels. They stir the pot once or twice but when the fire dies they move on.

Regarding the Youth there is clearly not enough coverage. They seem to drag any sort of person on and let them spread their vichaar. There are many gems in the Sikh Community, experts in many different fields, it would be great if they asked them to come onto the show and help people make sense of certain things. I'm not saying our Community is illiterate and uneducated but we're all human, some things may take time to sink in.

Another thing that I feel they should do more of is Sikh Bani Santhiya, Katha and deviating away from the same area of History everyone seems to cover. Our Guru Sahib's accomplished so much in the world, words can't express it. But our History didn't end when Guru Gobind Singh Ji passed on the Guru Gaddhi to Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

We also need to work to stop mixing Sikhism and Punjabism together. Some matrimonial shows start using castes to refer to certain individuals. What a massive act of defiance against Guru Sahib who completely destroyed the Caste System. There was also a while back, Sikh award show? I understand the sentiments behind it but it would much better just to bring attention to the work rather than giving them something for it. There was a category for Seva too, I was under the impression that Seva was meant to be Selfless service, Surely giving an award to something such as Seva is sort of disrespectful.

When Sikh Channel first came out, I was very excited. But it's done what most media channels seem to do. Become slightly deterred from it's main goals.

I'll tell you 3 of the main things the Sikh Channels are doing wrong, i.e putting off the young Sikhs :

• Stop having dramatic music over the news stories. This is a Bollywood / Indian news invention because the average Indian can't concentrate on news unless there is a music score accompanying it telling him how he should be feeling about the news story. The Sikh channels in the west should realise that they should not be dumbing we Sikhs down to that same level. We're more than capable of following a news story without a soundtrack.
  • Stop doing siftah of yourselves all the time. Every single time they interview anyone they always have this question: "The Sikh Channel . sangat Tv / Akal Tv are doing a dastar day / march on downing street / camp in italy etc etc, what do you have to say about what we're doing ? Would you're not agree that we're really brilliant and are doing a great thing ? We're really really brilliant arn't we ? "
  • For once, whenever they're showing a kirtan programme or a gurdwara somewhere, how about for once telling us where they actually are. A simple caption on screen saying, for example, Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Vincenza, Italia. Thats all we ask for. Just tell us what we're looking at.
  • If you're showing a programme that was recorded at an earlier date, so is obviously not Live, do NOT put a caption up on screen saying 'D-Live', i.e delayed live. That means nothing and is frankly an insult to our intelligence. If its not live its simply not live. Don't try and dress it up as a nonsence 'D-Live' programme. 'D-Live' is the stupidest idiotic concept ever.
  • Find the man who first suggested the 'D-Live' idea at the weekly board meeting and slap him.
  • Whenever, in future, any announcement is beiing made from any Gurdwara or elsewhere about an upcoming programme, give the microphone to that one person making the announcement, keep the camera shot on him, and tell the 132 other people that have crowded all around him in order to be in the TV camera shot to get lost.
  • Understand that there is a probably a limit to how many times the sangat at large can watch and listen to 3 or 4 old men talking boringly about the same subjects over and over and over again. Understand that we probably reached our limit about 5 years ago and its just getting silly now.
  • Get more Italian born Kaurs on. And Singhs. But mostly Kaurs. In fact forget the Singhs. Just the Kaurs. I like the way they talk and could listen to them all day.
2.The sangat being interviewed get mixed up with that sometimes lol, "hanji Sikh chalal de prograam asi dekde Roj", ?when it's Akaal/ sangat channel asking if they happy with them.

3. But they do its in the information on the remote, but wrong country. ?

4. And 5. Lol I thought d-live meant daytime live, I quite like that idea if it's daytime live shown later on in the day. ?

6. Naaaahhhh plz don't get rid of the crowd, that's the best bit, watching what everybody else is doing. ?

7. I never understand what the discussion is about. ?

8. Lol, Italy viah karlo paji. ?

@ Kira ji I never listen to the matrimonial shows at what they actually saying, I think most women probably just look at their suits. "Aj burgundy gold paya suit". ?

Yup can't understand why they have the caste matrimonial show. reference number 3456788886543467776556776555677 ?

Overall I think the channels are good. Some gud programs they put on I record to watch later. But live ones some can't be recorded.

The highlight of the day is "So how joo feeling today? Joo want to say any thing ? " ?

Plz channel waleo don't stop this one " hanji main sare country ja aya, joo s ay, kaneda, amerika, courier, jerman, Japan, Africa, Jamaica, sengpor, UK, europe, UK (it's not in Europe Hana), Hawaii, ?

Cos punjabi pendus are running the channels.

They dont realise that 80% of the Sikh population are monay/shajdhari's yet they catering to punjabi speaking kesdhari /amrtidhari Sikhs neglecting a huge population of Sikhs. They also dont bring any interesting shows or shows that reflect modern life of your average Sikh professional. They concentrate on punjabi centric or indian centric issues.

The only time the youth get involved and are interested in Sikh channels is when things are kicking off about Khalistan or Muslim conversion /. sexual predter grooming gangs issue.

Apart from that its as boring as watching paint dry. Most religious channels have this problem they offer boring content.

The best content that keeps Sikh audiences engaged is when taboo topics of contraversial subjects are discussed and there is a diverse group of people having their opinions aired. When its just 2-3 guys on the sofa talking or gossiping no body got time for that they all have better things to do.

8. Lol, Italy viah karlo paji.

Main borth pashthordan India biah kar ke Simran. Sachi Italian kudi naal byar karna si. Sareh den bai'keh ohdia'n Italian galla'n sunni jania si nice relax ho'keh. Mai'n kamm'tho ah ke kaina si "Dilraj di mummy, ah suhnu Italian bol ke sunn'ah please darling". Unlike jedhi hon di wife ah, whose phone calls I ignore when I'm at work, jidho'n vi meri Italian wife ne menu phone karni si at work mai'n natt'keh phone chakna si ohdi soni Italian baaj sunnan leh.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. A man can but dream of what could have been. :yay:

I agree. In the evenings you see a line of old white bearded men all talking about the same thing they were talking about the day before and the day before that.

You get the Sikh Ethics programme, the odd Youth one but lasts a few weeks then they ''need a long deserved break'' :s

Sangat TV had a White Sikh who used to do Kattha but he's vanished.

Old backward know it all men always on the TV ranting about all tripe. Get them out of our Gurdwaras and let younger sit on Committees

Why don't you all try contacting Sikh channel, sangat tv and Akaal channel for that matter. We did also give some suggestions but directly to them to give more kids oriented programmes. Lets see.

Good idea. I like the awareness programs of issues we have in the community though, counselling, health, bullying, and charities.

If viewers want to see something being covered then should send emails or call them, and say politely this is what you would like to see.

Main borth pashthordan India biah kar ke Simran. Sachi Italian kudi naal byar karna si. Sareh den bai'keh ohdia'n Italian galla'n sunni jania si nice relax ho'keh. Mai'n kamm'tho ah ke kaina si "Dilraj di mummy, ah suhnu Italian bol ke sunn'ah please darling". Unlike jedhi hon di wife ah, whose phone calls I ignore when I'm at work, jidho'n vi meri Italian wife ne menu phone karni si at work mai'n natt'keh phone chakna si ohdi soni Italian baaj sunnan leh.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. A man can but dream of what could have been. :yay:

Lol Paji, rendo, fer tha peejaa roj Milna c. Lol @ relax. Hahahahahaaaa natke, tapusi marke and backward somersault in the air, fer kena c " Si, no, grazie, parla Punjabi boldi? Ciaooo meoowww daal .. " ?