Very Important Check Your Sggs English Translations - Please Be Alert

sikhni777

It is more serious than just one or two words messed up, there are loads of mistranslation done on purpose to create a case for Yoga as part of sikhi I have noted in sangat weird /wrong translations which will mislead our children and newcomers from non-punjabi/desi background. Someone needs to sit and go through this. Not Surprisingly enough this is one translation that was signed off without double checking by SGPC or other bodies. I have heard that the german translation is totally awful....we need to give this our full attention since we know the 'leaders' are more worried about maya than Guru ji's message being spread.

Dear Sadh Sangat Ji, I just realised that I was using apps - Gurbani Nirvaan and Gurbani Ujagar which use English translation from Dr Sant singh Khalsa. There is a particular line which was with the wrong meaning. However there are other lines which have not been translated correctly. Please kindly inform all your relatives and friends.

Refer to this thread.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/77736-is-this-translation-correct-please-explain-whywhy-not/

and also

ਸੁਣਿ ਗਲਾ ਆਕਾਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਾ ਆਈ ਰੀਸ ॥ सुणि गला आकास की कीटा आई रीस ॥ Suṇ galā ākās kī kītā ā▫ī rīs.

1. Hearing of the etheric realms, even worms long to come back home.

ਸੁਣਿ ਗਲਾ ਆਕਾਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਾ ਆਈ ਰੀਸ

सुणि गला आकास की कीटा आई रीस ॥

Suṇ galā ākās kī kītā ā▫ī rīs.

2. By hearing celestial things even worms (the vile) wish to emulate.

The No 1 states that worms wish to come home whereas Gurbani clearly states the word riis.... which means to copy. This means that the first meaning is wrong.

We need to sort this out as this is a major problem of us and our youth getting the wrong meanings of Gurbani.

The wrong translations have been used and distributed far and wide with the use of apps.

These need to be corrected. Only God knows how many other wrong translations of the bani have been done. Please be alert and inform as many people as possible especially the people who make those apps.

These problems exist because most of the translations are done by individuals instead of groups or committes. when a individual translates its easy for him to mix his Mat/thinking into Gurbani. It would be wise if couple of different jathebandies collaborated to produce a translation. Different jathas working together would make sure that bias of a particular group doesnt creep in.

I'd advise the Sangat to read as much Gurbani in its Gurmukhi form as possible. Then turn to the English and then if you can read the Punjabi translation, The more Gurmukhi you read the further you'll understand it and start to realize where the misconceptions can arise. It's better to go to the Source directly rather than taking a more dangerous road.

I want to thank OP here because this is a big issue, people take different translations and certain ones are used to push certain agendas. Certain words are defined in Gurbani, their translations are presented in Gurbani itself. But people end up mis-reading and as a result putting it down as something else.