Why Yogis Have Kesh ?

nehkeval

It is not only in Sikhism that hair is required to be long. God gave Samson in the Bible too the hukam to grow his hair. When he cut his hair his strength left him.

When I was at school, people ( mostly Christians used to ask me about my long hair)

I used to refer to them the Samson story and they completely agreed with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson

This was when I was just ten years. How else would they understand because I did not fully understand either.

I knew the story of the shote sahibzadhe but people undertand best if you take examples from their own religion.

Samson's is a story which teachers used to tell us on the sort of relugar basis.

This story is a real life study done by scientists and the like. They had to hide the findings for years.

Our Gurus however have provided us with the correct guidance right from the start. (If only we could develop that strong trust)

http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/news/the-truth-about-hair-covered-up-since-the-vietnam-war

• 3 weeks later...

It is not only in Sikhism that hair is required to be long. God gave Samson in the Bible too the hukam to grow his hair. When he cut his hair his strength left him.

When I was at school, people ( mostly Christians used to ask me about my long hair)

I used to refer to them the Samson story and they completely agreed with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson

actually samson kept kesh because from a baby he was prohecised to be there to do a special sewa/task for Akal Purakh ...he never cut a hair or drunk alcohol . The fact that he was made drunk and his kesh cut before completion of the divine task was what cursed him with withdrawal of Akal Purakh's blessing of strength. He was a nazarite , even Jesus would have been one .

It would make sense to consider kesh the repository of divine energy , since Pir Buddu Shah treasured this gift of kesh and Kanga of Guru Pita ji as more than the loss of his sons and 700 of his followers

This story is a real life study done by scientists and the like. They had to hide the findings for years.

Our Gurus however have provided us with the correct guidance right from the start. (If only we could develop that strong trust)

http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/news/the-truth-about-hair-covered-up-since-the-vietnam-war

why wouldn't you trust your Mum and Dad in one?

actually samson kept kesh because from a baby he was prohecised to be there to do a special sewa/task for Akal Purakh ...he never cut a hair or drunk alcohol . The fact that he was made drunk and his kesh cut before completion of the divine task was what cursed him with withdrawal of Akal Purakh's blessing of strength. He was a nazarite , even Jesus would have been one .

It would make sense to consider kesh the repository of divine energy , since Pir Buddu Shah treasured this gift of kesh and Kanga of Guru Pita ji as more than the loss of his sons and 700 of his followers

Apart from the Nazrite example, the historical tradition of the Abrahamic faiths (except the original: Judaism) is that a man must have neither short nor long hair, i.e 'it must be of acceptable length'. The really interesting bit though is about beards. Now, we all know that the Muslims have a requirement to trim their mustaches but the Jewish scriptures state that a man must never trim his beard and must 'let it flow freely'. Its really interesting that Judaism stresses how the long untrimmed free flowing beard on a man is the mirror image of his soul and so to find the God inside him he must have that image. The Christians too had (and to a certain extent still do) have this tradition. Thats why in all the original churches, i.e Orthodox, Coptic etc, the religious priests have very long untrimmed beards. We in the west however are only exposed to the newer christian church, i.e the Roman Catholic church and the protestant off-shoots that came from it. You've all heard of the saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' ? Well thats exactly what the Christian religion did once it hit the west. It was the norm in Rome for men to try and look like boys, so only the very poor grew beards. Thus, Christainity in the west discarded it's beard but since then Christians in the west have failed to properly understand what Paul in Corinthians meant when he talked about uncovering the head in church and men not having long hair etc. Christians take that literally without fully understanding how, at that time, there was a need to separate rules for men and women because there were certain characteristics in dress that signified a woman was a prostitute.

As for Kesh, its interesting that the Samourai of Japan were required to have a top-knot. Their code of conduct - The Book of Bushido - makes numerous references to Brahma and stresses that a true warrior cannot be a warrior at all unless he wears his hair in a top-knot.

Apart from the Nazrite example, the historical tradition of the Abrahamic faiths is that a man must have neither short nor long hair, i.e 'it must be of acceptable length'. The really interesting bit though is about beards. Now, we all know that the Muslims have a requirement to trim their mustaches but the Jewish scriptures state that a man must never trim his beard and must 'let it flow freely'. Its really interesting that the Judaism stresses how the long untrimmed free flowing beard on a man is the mirror image of his soul and so to find the God inside him he must have that image. The Christians too had (and to a certain extent still do) have this tradition. Thats why in all the original churches, i.e Orthodox, Coptic etc, the religious priests have very long untrimmed beards. We in the west however are only exposed to the newer christian church, i.e the Roman Catholic church and the protestant off-shoots that came from it. You've all heard of the saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' ? Well thats exactly what the Christian religion once it hit the west. It was the norm in Rome for men to try and look like boys, so only the very poor grew beards. Thus, Christainity in the west discarded it's beard but since then Christians in the west have failed to properly understand what Paul in Corinthians meant when he talked about uncocering the head in church and men not having long hair etc. Christians take that literally without fully understanding how, at that time, there was a need to separate rules for men and women because there were certain characteristics in dress that signified a woman was a prostitute.

As for Kesh, its interesting that the Samourai of Japan were required to have a top-knot. Their code of conduct - The Book of Bushido - makes numerous references to Brahma and stresses that a true warrior cannot be a warrior at all unless he wears his hair in a top-knot.

Brahma really ? I thought Bushido was not related to brahma mind you I haven't taken time out to read five rings yet

Guest Jacfsing2

Nazarites have special blessings?