Praying For Things

Balkaar

In short All things exist in now there is no time (its an illusion). So to have a physical experience possible via sense and our brain this illusion of linear sequence of time events exist. So a prayer should always be of gratitude or thanks as shown by Guru Arjan Dev Ji. All events are brought to self via soul planning, subconscious or conscious. Since we have a built in Amnesia we don't recall our soul plan, which is for our own personal evolution. So the free will is always there for us to choose another experience or resist whats showing up. As we evolve we go from Addiction(I want things a certain way), Preference(I would like thing a certain way but ok if something else happens), Acceptence(I am ok with what's showing up) the SIKH way Bhana Manana.

In short All things exist in now there is no time (its an illusion). So to have a physical experience possible via sense and our brain this illusion of linear sequence of time events exist. So a prayer should always be of gratitude or thanks as shown by Guru Arjan Dev Ji. All events are brought to self via soul planning, subconscious or conscious. Since we have a built in Amnesia we don't recall our soul plan, which is for our own personal evolution. So the free will is always there for us to choose another experience or resist whats showing up. As we evolve we go from Addiction(I want things a certain way), Preference(I would like thing a certain way but ok if something else happens), Acceptence(I am ok with what's showing up) the SIKH way Bhana Manana.

Interesting. But is it necessary to skip from stone to stone (addiction to preference to acceptance)? Would it not be better to take a leap straight to acceptance - is that impossible/very difficult in your opinion?

Interesting. But is it necessary to skip from stone to stone (addiction to preference to acceptance)? Would it not be better to take a leap straight to acceptance - is that impossible/very difficult in your opinion?

I guess that's why we have reincarnations, we raise the bar every time we are born again for our evolution, towards our ultimate goal of conscious mergence with Whaeguru. So that we have a choice of living in an out of illusion at our will like our Gurus. To be accepting of anything that's showing up will require full faith in Whaeguru, but as we know people are at different level of awareness from Atheist , Agnostics.........It become easier as we evolve. Also its possible to create any sub-reality (an illusion even Atheism) out of the ultimate reality by our beliefs due to our free will.

The American satirist Ambrose Bierce, in his Devil's Dictionary, defines prayer as the following: " Prayer - The request that the laws of nature be suspended in favour of the petitioner, himself admittedly unworthy". I wonder if Mr Bierce hasn't hit upon something there.

When Guru Arjan Dev was being tortured on the tati tavi they could have cried out to the Almighty for reprieve or mercy. Instead they uttered "Mittha Lagai Tera Bana". They spoke thusly because they knew that Almighty's Hukam was already ordained, and they accepted this as the Lord's humble servant. As their Sikhs, we are supposed to abide by our Gurus' teachings. One of the most important is the emphasis on Nimrata. I can't be alone in believing that the exercise of praying to God for something, asking him to actually amend his Hukam on our behalfs, pitiful worms that we are, is an expression of something altogether different from humility - the complete opposite in fact. If we are to pray for anything, to take the term quite loosely and divorced of its major connotations, shouldn't we pray for the strength to overcome whatever Waheguru chooses to visit upon us, for good or for ill?

(* I don't consider Nitnem praying, meditation or contemplation would be labels better suited to the practice*)

Instead they uttered "Mittha Lagai Tera Bana".

Slight correction - Tera Bhana Meetha Lagai

Ardas is a powerful tool and performed with real conviction anything is possible, yes even the changing of grades after the event. Nothing is impossible where the relationship of Hari and his jan is concerned. It is true we should ask for naam dhi dhaat and Gursikhi jeevan come what may, but we are his 'kids' and unworthy and still ask for material well being and all sorts of other maya.

Bhagat Dhanna Ji in his innocent manner and beautifully captured in Aarti asked for a horse, a good wife, quality grains. clothes and gheo.

There are numerous Sakhis that back the power of Ardas (yes I know you are not questioning this) and sometimes even trivial requests are fulfilled depending on the state of the requester. This is one reason spiritually advanced souls speak very little in case the inadvertently say something they might regret.