Sikh Population In Punjab Is 57 % Which Was 60% In 2001 Census.

hrman

Migration may have led to decline in Sikh count

Sarbjit Dhaliwal

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, August 26

Of all communities, Sikhs have reported maximum decline in population, according to the religion-based census data (2001-2011) released by the Centre yesterday.

The decadal growth rate in Sikh population was pegged at 24.3 per cent in 1991, which fell to 18.2 per cent in 2001 and further to 8.4 per cent in 2011. The fall in 2001-2011 is 9.8 per cent when compared with the 1991-2001 census — 15.9 per cent in two decades. For Hindus, the decline in growth rate is 3.5 per cent, Muslims 4.9 per cent and Christians 7.1 per cent for 2001-2011.

Aswini Nanda, demographic expert, says migration of Sikhs to countries such as the US, the UK and Canada was the main reason for fall in their population. He said a significant number of Sikhs had also moved to Italy and Australia — two new destinations for the community. Many of them are also settled in Norway and some other countries in Europe, he said.

Other reasons being cited by experts include prosperity. Sikhs were reportedly more prosperous and adopted family planning schemes earlier than others. A reason for switching to smaller families may be the shrinking land holdings, which they decided not to divide further.

The share of Sikhs in the country’s population has come down to 1.7 per cent in 2011 against 1.9 per cent in 2001. Their number is pegged at 2.08 crore — fourth on the population chart. The first slot goes to Hindus with 79.8 per cent proportion of the total population, Muslims with 14.2 per cent are placed at number 2 and Christians with 2.3 per cent are third.

In Punjab, the Sikh population has fallen to 57.7 per cent in 2011 as compared to 59.9 per cent in 2001, while that of Hindus has grown to 38.5 per cent from 36.9 per cent.

In Chandigarh, the Sikh population has come down to 13.1 per cent in 2011 from 16.1 per cent in 2001. Same is true for Delhi and Haryana. In Delhi, it fell from 4 to 3.4 per cent and from 5.5 to 4.9 per cent in Haryana. In J&K, the Sikh population stands at 1.9 per cent, in HP at 1.2 per cent, Uttarakhand at 2.3 per cent, and Rajasthan at 1.3 per cent. In almost all other states, it is varies from 0.1 per cent to 0.3 per cent.

Guest Jacfsing2

The problem is brother that:

Sikhs are now less than 0.01% of the Pakistani Punjab population.

Sikhs are now 3% of the Delhi population.

Sikhs are now 4% of the Haryana population.

Sikhs are now 1% of the Himachal population.

Numerically in 2011 we Sikhs consituted 11% or so of the historic united Punjab populations.

Whereas before the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs in 1947 we constituted 13% of the old historic Punjab population.

Bear in mind now that there are a greater percentage of Sikhs in English-speaking Canada than there in India.

So we need to work hard on initially stabilising and then increasing Sikh numbers globally by any means necassary.

Rather than continually look for ways exclude people from the Sikh Panth and then wondering why we are oppressed.

Guru Sahib himself said, "One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name." If sikhs aren't even attempting to follow the Guru why should they be included?

Migration may have led to decline in Sikh count

Sarbjit Dhaliwal

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, August 26

Of all communities, Sikhs have reported maximum decline in population, according to the religion-based census data (2001-2011) released by the Centre yesterday.

The decadal growth rate in Sikh population was pegged at 24.3 per cent in 1991, which fell to 18.2 per cent in 2001 and further to 8.4 per cent in 2011. The fall in 2001-2011 is 9.8 per cent when compared with the 1991-2001 census 15.9 per cent in two decades. For Hindus, the decline in growth rate is 3.5 per cent, Muslims 4.9 per cent and Christians 7.1 per cent for 2001-2011.

Aswini Nanda, demographic expert, says migration of Sikhs to countries such as the US, the UK and Canada was the main reason for fall in their population. He said a significant number of Sikhs had also moved to Italy and Australia two new destinations for the community. Many of them are also settled in Norway and some other countries in Europe, he said.

Other reasons being cited by experts include prosperity. Sikhs were reportedly more prosperous and adopted family planning schemes earlier than others. A reason for switching to smaller families may be the shrinking land holdings, which they decided not to divide further.

The share of Sikhs in the countrys population has come down to 1.7 per cent in 2011 against 1.9 per cent in 2001. Their number is pegged at 2.08 crore fourth on the population chart. The first slot goes to Hindus with 79.8 per cent proportion of the total population, Muslims with 14.2 per cent are placed at number 2 and Christians with 2.3 per cent are third.

In Punjab, the Sikh population has fallen to 57.7 per cent in 2011 as compared to 59.9 per cent in 2001, while that of Hindus has grown to 38.5 per cent from 36.9 per cent.

In Chandigarh, the Sikh population has come down to 13.1 per cent in 2011 from 16.1 per cent in 2001. Same is true for Delhi and Haryana. In Delhi, it fell from 4 to 3.4 per cent and from 5.5 to 4.9 per cent in Haryana. In J&K, the Sikh population stands at 1.9 per cent, in HP at 1.2 per cent, Uttarakhand at 2.3 per cent, and Rajasthan at 1.3 per cent. In almost all other states, it is varies from 0.1 per cent to 0.3 per cent.

The migration of Sikhs out of India in my opinion is the highest in post millenium than it has been in any other era.

The inward migration of non-Sikhs from other states also plays a big factor.

One question no body asks is whether the native Hindu Punjabi population in decline?

Guest Jacfsing2

The migration of Sikhs out of India in my opinion is the highest in post millenium than it has been in any other era.

The inward migration of non-Sikhs from other states also plays a big factor.

One question no body asks is whether the native Hindu Punjabi population in decline?

I assume that's in decline as well. Simply because various Punjabis in general feel that there is less business in Punjab or that Punjab doesn't have all the modernization the other Indian states have.

I assume that's in decline as well. Simply because various Punjabis in general feel that there is less business in Punjab or that Punjab doesn't have all the modernization the other Indian states have.

If there is a decline in Sikhs with a mass exodus of Sikhs, I am sure that it would not go unnoticed by the Hindu Punjabi.

If Sikhs leave, the Hindu Punjabi would follow suit.

Quantavius bro we already have such an organisation in place - the SGPC.

DTF,

SGPC is a religious organization that is there to administer the running of Gurdwaras around the world. I'm talking about a powerful international social organization that also acts as a lobbying agent like AIPAC for Israel.

The problem is it is riddled by corruption so we have to peacefully seize back control or set-up a parallel organisation which is fully transparent and accountable for every penny of funding. My sincere conviction is that if HS Phulka Ji and the AAP can sweep Badal out of power in the Punjab elections in 2017 we can reclaim the SGPC and increase Sikh numbers massively simply on account of Sikhi being the Truth.

This is a problem that cannot be solved via politics. Your guy winning may help but it won't solve the fundamental

Recognising all those that attend Gurdwara as fellow Sikhs would at a stroke push Sikh numbers in Punjab to above 90%. The more people currently defined by our opponents as non-Sikhs recognise that they are members of the Sikh Panth the greater their adherence to Gurmat will become in time.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here but I'm guessing you're referring to those Hindus who also attend Gurdwara, then I firmly disagree. No thanks. I'd rather be a super minority then a majority with some sort of 'mongrelized' version of Sikhism. I'm assuming recognizing them entails allowing them to vote in Gurdwara affairs? Sorry, no way buddy. Our Gurdwaras will be turned into Mandirs. No thanks.

No other religion defines those that attend for example, Church services, Mosque gatherings or Mandir puja sessions as non-Christians, non-Muslims or non-Hindu's so we have to ask why it is only us Sikhs as a 1.7% minority in India who since 1950 have started insisting upon labelling certain Gurdwara Sangat as non-Sikhs and then scratching our heads as to why our numbers are declining while everybody else seeks to boost the size of their own populations.

Sorry poor comparison. Christianity is not facing the problem of refusal of being given a separate identity like Sikhism.

Muslim numbers have grown in Punjab by 40% during 2001-2011. Christian numbers grew 20% in Punjab during the same period. And yet we have corrupt bhekhi's that find the time for conferences supporting Charitropakhiyan stories at expensive resort hotels but cannot give a damn about the threats faced by the primarily self-inflicted silent Genocide of the Panth in the form of female infanticide, drugs, biraderi apartheid, illiteracy, cancer, poverty, alcohol etc.

Alcohol does not destroy any nation. The most powerful nations on this planet ie Western civilization and Asian (China, Japan....) are all alcohol drinkers. This is nonsense perpetuated by backward Indian mentality. A tiny bunch of alcohol drinkers called the British came to India and kicked everybody's asses.

IMHO what is destroying us selfishness. If you travel to the UK, US, Canada, Asia...you'll see Sikhs doing extremely well yet I don't see any monetary help given to fellow Sikhs in Punjab outside of Gurdwara donations. That is why many former Sikhs have converted to Christianity. You may criticize Christians all you want but they are extremely generous with each other. In fact their generosity is unparalleled! I have never witnessed any other group of people as generous as them. That is their strength.

In my country, many Sikhs have converted to Christianity and I know that for a fact many converted because they found support within the Church that was not there them from our own people. Recently there was a big spat between Sikhs and Punjabi Christians in my country and there were heated exchanges. I heard via a recording that one of the biggest complains from former Sikhs is that they receive no help from fellow Sikhs. I can tell you from what I've witnessed and even to a certain extent personal experience that there is some truth to it.

Ironically one of our first Hukam is 'Wand Ke Shekaoo'. If we follow this Hukam to the tee brother, I guarantee you we will become really strong and un defeatable.

In my country, many Sikhs have converted to Christianity and I know that for a fact many converted because they found support within the Church that was not there them from our own people. Recently there was a big spat between Sikhs and Punjabi Christians in my country and there were heated exchanges. I heard via a recording that one of the biggest complains from former Sikhs is that they receive no help from fellow Sikhs. I can tell you from what I've witnessed and even to a certain extent personal experience that there is some truth to it.

In my experience (and I've had quite a bit of it) not only is there no support from other Sikhs, but there's almost a sense of Sikhs purposefully turning their backs on those going through difficult times; complete alienation. Then there's, from some quarters, a barely contained sense of glee that someone has hit rock bottom. Thankfully some emerge from the darkness due to Guru Sahib's kirpa, and, lo and behold, the phone starts ringing again and people start saying hello when you're out and about. This is the type of depraved and heartless Sikhs we're talking about here. I'm not at all surprised those who can't hack the immense pressures placed on them in these situations abandon the culture and religion. Who in their right mind would want to be associated with such a cold and umempathetic bunch of people?

I don't think we need that 90% overwhelming majority, but of course it would be nice. If the 57% we do have was comrprised of quality Sikhs, we'd have a solid hold over Punjab. We need the Badals out, get rid of them and we can free SGPC and the Akal Takht, giving us some power over ourselves again. With SGPC's funding they can start mass parchar in gurdwaray and give funds to gurdwaray to help the poor, and with the political power we can legally crack down on anti Sikh practices and elements. But then again, who do we have to replace the Badals even? Its a dire situation.

Just note for Sangrur, Muslims are up from 7.89 % in 2001 to 10.82% in 2011. This is the area that includes Malerkotla and has become the hub of the likes of Izhar Alam who are converting Sikhs to Islam and facilitating Gujjar Muslim immigration into Punjab by building them colonies and Sharia Panchayats.