Very Smart Solution

sikhstudent99

• 1 month later...

How would that work? I could take a course on Christianity or Buddhism and pass it with flying marks; does that mean I'm a Christian or Buddhist in those instances?

Unless the underlying basis for this type of suggestion is that the person taking the course finds themselves drawn towards the Sikh faith whilst revising, and somehow they decide to become a genuine Sikh due to this newfound admiration and respect for the faith? That's a big "if" and human nature being what it is, many would treat such a course or test as they would a driving theory test or something similar. The process would be open to abuse, and dare I say, it'd be a bit of a joke.

What do you think is the solution

What do you think is the solution

Irrelevant. Pandora's Box has been opened. We can't un-open it now. Gurdwaras CAN still enforce maryada, but they appear reluctant to do so. Therefore, any solution I or anyone else suggests is worthless.

What we need to come to terms with ("we" as in those who have an affinity for Sikhi; you might term us as orthodox Sikhs) is some people from our cultural and religious background don't assign the same importance and sense of respect when it comes to the Anand Karaj. As painful as it may sound to some, for most people it is simply a ritual, nothing more. That's why we find ourselves in this situation.

Some of the blame for this flagrant disregard for the Anand Karaj stems from our own Punjabis. I've been watching since childhood how our very own Sikhs have treated the Anand Karaj as an inconvenience to be hurriedly overcome, so that they can hurry off to their wedding halls and resume their drinking and their dancing.

When we've defiled the sacredness of the ceremony at our own hands, did we expect others who were also observing this behaviour - namely Punjabi guys and girls choosing to marry outside of their culture - weren't taking notes and realising there won't be any consequences for them? They took what our people started and then pushed things to another level. The time to protest was when Punjabis were disrespecting our ways. Now, it genuinely does seem like a desperate reaction fuelled by xenophobia and fear of the other. Too late.

Why do we find ourselves in this situation? In brief, because we turned away from Guru Sahib, or at least because we think we know better. Well, here you go, enjoy.