Who Can Be Considered A Sikh? Do They Have To Wear The Five K's

sikhstudent99

do you have to be amritdhari to be a sikh

I ask because there is an interesting question going around regarding interfaith marriages

what if both the man and women are born in a Sikh family but both are agnostic or atheist an are getting married in the gurdwara cause they see it as a cultural tradition

would these weddings be banned in gurdwaras??

if a mona can marry in the gurdwara then can't a gora or someone out of faith say they are Sikh just to get married in the gurdwara

I know of a gora who married a girl from turkey an he pretended to be a muslim for a day just so they could get married

Majority are non believers but come from Sikh families.

If you think the Five Ks were ONLY given to the Khalsa, but for whatever stupid reason, we so called Sikhs pick and choose as we see fit and wear the Kara to show we are Sikhs. BUT with that same hand we wear that Kara we drink, smoke, rape, steal, murder! The point of the Kara was to remind one of when we go to do those things, you see the Kara and STOP in your tracks and refrain. But is that what it's doing? no we care not, unfortunately

Majority are non believers but come from Sikh families.

If you think the Five Ks were ONLY given to the Khalsa, but for whatever stupid reason, we so called Sikhs pick and choose as we see fit and wear the Kara to show we are Sikhs. BUT with that same hand we wear that Kara we drink, smoke, rape, steal, murder! The point of the Kara was to remind one of when we go to do those things, you see the Kara and STOP in your tracks and refrain. But is that what it's doing? no we care not, unfortunately

Always find it very strange when some Sikhs put up a huge fuss for the right to wear their karas at all times, when they aren't even Amritdhari (under no compulsion to wear it) and they don't keep any of the other kakkars. Very disparate and selective logic.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

For historical context, Granthi Sikhs in Gurdwarae used to not conduct an Anand Karaj if either or both of the wedded to be were not Amritdhari. Both had to become Amritdhari for the Anand Karaj to take place and for the Granthi Sikh to agree to conduct the ceremony.

Slowly, it eroded to the Granthi Singhs getting a pledge from the weddded couple that they would soon become Amritdhari. Then it eroded to the Granthi Sikh stating that Anand Karaj was for Amritdharis (and not getting a pledge from the couple to become Amritdhari). And then, you have today, where anything goes.

Next, we will have a human-animal "Anand Karaj" booked and hue and cry over the equality of all creation will be brought forth in support of letting the "Anand Karaj" take place.

do you have to be amritdhari to be a sikh

I ask because there is an interesting question going around regarding interfaith marriages

what if both the man and women are born in a Sikh family but both are agnostic or atheist an are getting married in the gurdwara cause they see it as a cultural tradition

would these weddings be banned in gurdwaras??

if a mona can marry in the gurdwara then can't a gora or someone out of faith say they are Sikh just to get married in the gurdwara

I know of a gora who married a girl from turkey an he pretended to be a muslim for a day just so they could get married

i believe anyone who belive in 10 guru sahibans and guru granth sahib as 11th guru is a sikh. any one who belive that there is ony one god. beang a amridhari keshdhari mona sehajdhari didn't matter in guru's court everyone is equal.

According to the Rehet Maryada (going by the Akal Takhats one here) A sikh is everything you descibred. I believe the requirements are

1) Believe in one god

2) Believe the Guru Granth Sahib and the previous Human forms of Guru Sahib are you're sole Guide.

3) Believe in the Amrit Sanchar Guru Gobind Singh Ji prescribed.

The problem arises in interfaith marriage when a Muslim or a christian comes before Guru Sahib. A Muslim believe the Prophet Muhammed is the last Divine Messengar from God, No other Messengers can come after. As a result they violate one requirements. A Similar thing is there for Christians.

Even if we don't believe in the Rehet Maryada and consider it flawed (some do), The Akal Takhat which is essentially our Parliament has passed this degree. We're duty bound to obey it even if we don't like it. That's why anyone conducting interfaith Marriages is going against that command of The Akal Takhat.

For all we know they might decide to change it but as of now that is the defining of a Sikh they have set out and that is the one we must follow.

2 and 3 are key. Believing in Guru Sahib means having faith in all Gurbani and this of course means Guru Gobind Singh Jee. The concept of Amrit grates on folk who spew nonsense that it's just inner love that counts for God. A kathakaar once said, 'should a tree have weak roots, it is bare on the outside'. If one has true belief in their master or king, there is nothing they would not do for them and they would at least attempt to follow all hukams prescribed and this to me describes a Sikh.

2 and 3 are key. Believing in Guru Sahib means having faith in all Gurbani and this of course means Guru Gobind Singh Jee. The concept of Amrit grates on folk who spew nonsense that it's just inner love that counts for God. A kathakaar once said, 'should a tree have weak roots, it is bare on the outside'. If one has true belief in their master or king, there is nothing they would not do for them and they would at least attempt to follow all hukams prescribed and this to me describes a Sikh.

Yup, right 100%. I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIlltfYx-5Y

i think this does some justification to the aims and the importance of the Khalsa.