White People And Sikh People

carinder

I just said that the government shouldn't be restricting too much speech, and we shouldn't have to make everything a legal battle. (Again where I'm from it's not restricted unless it causes violence or is "hate speech" which isn't very specific). And second, Sikh is not a race it's a religion or way of life.

Nah it isn't so bad here. Sikhism is classed as a race and/or ethnicity I believe in the UK. Not sure how things are in america honestly but our freedom of speech is fine unless we're publically insulting others etc. Which I personally think is fine.

I just said that the government shouldn't be restricting too much speech, and we shouldn't have to make everything a legal battle. (Again where I'm from it's not restricted unless it causes violence or is "hate speech" which isn't very specific). And second, Sikh is not a race it's a religion or way of life.

Yeah Barfi n Mithai just beat me to it with his/her message above this one but just to re-iterate; According to UK Law the Sikhs are not just a religion but a distinct Race. The Sikhs and Jews are the only ones that are given this special status and protection.

As was pointed out earlier, free speech must have its limits. So, for example, if in the UK someone deliberately called you a 'rag head' or something, you can get that someone reported to the police and that someone will undoubtedly lose his job because of it (because his subsequent criminal record will count as a Hate Crime) and he will lose his subsidized housing (if living in a council flat (the Projects). There is nowhere else on earth where Sikhs and Sikhism is so protected.

Yeah Barfi n Mithai just beat me to it with his/her message above this one

Hi, I am a female :biggrin2:

So yes, in the UK Sikhs have unique rights and we should exercise those rights when faced with racism.

Guest Jacfsing2

Yeah Barfi n Mithai just beat me to it with his/her message above this one but just to re-iterate; According to UK Law the Sikhs are not just a religion but a distinct Race. The Sikhs and Jews are the only ones that are given this special status and protection.

As was pointed out earlier, free speech must have its limits. So, for example, if in the UK someone deliberately called you a 'rag head' or something, you can get that someone reported to the police and that someone will undoubtedly lose his job because of it (because his subsequent criminal record will count as a Hate Crime) and he will lose his subsidized housing (if living in a council flat (the Projects). There is nowhere else on earth where Sikhs and Sikhism is so protected.

ok, I just have 2 more questions, 1. What if somebody converts into Sikhi?

2. Can people freely talk about other religions negatively other than Judaism and Sikhi?

ok, I just have 2 more questions, 1. What if somebody converts into Sikhi?

2. Can people freely talk about other religions negatively other than Judaism and Sikhi?

All Sikhs including 'converts' are protected.

Discussions about religions are different from discrimination and racism. It depends on the context of the matter in question so without an example it will be difficult to say exactly.

Guest Jacfsing2

All Sikhs including 'converts' are protected.

Discussions about religions are different from discrimination and racism. It depends on the context of the matter in question so without an example it will be difficult to say exactly.

Example: calling a Muslim, "Osama"

Example: calling a Muslim, "Osama"

That can be reported to the UK police and will be investigated. The court will have to then argue it out as to which 'act' it falls under. Either way punishment tends to be based on the context rather than which category it falls under.

That can be reported to the UK police and will be investigated. The court will have to then argue it out as to which 'act' it falls under. Either way punishment tends to be based on the context rather than which category it falls under.

yh very true i will done that and they he been aressted

• 1 month later...