Sikh/punjabi Athleticism And Physical Prowess

I have something that has been puzzling me for the last couple of days.

Sikhs/Punjabi's and other peoples of subcontinental origins have lived in the UK for over half a century and yet there is this niggling question as to why there are so few Asian sportsmen. Most Asians are football fans in the UK and yet we see so few that make it professionally.

There are a few reasons we usually here such as parents want their children to follow education or the ugly head of racism.

The other reason is that Asians generally are not strong enough, physical enough or athletic enough to keep up with the other races.

Now I can see that maybe overall, the Subcontinent is probably generally smaller and less physical but there is an anomaly to this the Sikh or Punjabi's in general.

We are physically larger and stronger than the vast majority in India but the question is are we as strong and physical as the European man. Now this is what we are told by UK Football Establishment.

But what we have seen with Satnam Singh and Sim Bhullar in the NBA tells us this is complete hogwash.

If Punjabi's in the UK are not good enough to play against average sized white men and black men in professional football, how is it that two Punjabi's albeit one from Canada and one of India have made to the NBA where they have to play with and against the most athletically, physically developed people in the African American male.

Your thoughts please.

In the Western world, a life spent in pursuit of one's deepest ambition is a life well spent. In our culture, practicality is the chief consideration when planning the rest of your life. It takes precedence over one's hopes and desires every time. Chances are your parents will compel you to study some bland and dolorous degree like software engineering because there is a better guarantee of a job at the end of it than there is with sport or art history or marine biology, the subjects people are probably passionate about. Punjabi parents are not very supportive, and they never take risks. Is it any wonder then that we have such a negligible presence in arenas such as the media, sports and the arts, where a measure of daring is mandatory? We are cowards, henpecked by our elders and the narrow-minded expectations they foist upon us, which somehow manage to be simultaneously high and low.

We're almost in danger of becoming an unimaginative, straight-down-the-middle, unromantic (not in THAT way), humourless people, and that's a tragedy. Ultimately it will be to our detriment, as anyone not part of the mainstream will be shunned and sidelined as worthless. Some of that blame has to fall on the shoulders of our obsession with materialism. I've seen even the uber-religious try to bend over backwards to explain why the pursuit of accumulating vast amounts of wealth is wonderfully noble. Of course, we can't exist on thin air and words, but the balance has been heavily skewed towards one particular direction.

We're almost in danger of becoming an unimaginative, straight-down-the-middle, unromantic (not in THAT way), humourless people, and that's a tragedy. Ultimately it will be to our detriment, as anyone not part of the mainstream will be shunned and sidelined as worthless. Some of that blame has to fall on the shoulders of our obsession with materialism. I've seen even the uber-religious try to bend over backwards to explain why the pursuit of accumulating vast amounts of wealth is wonderfully noble. Of course, we can't exist on thin air and words, but the balance has been heavily skewed towards one particular direction.

It may have something to do with our parents and grandparents. The Sikhs advanced very quickly up the social hierarchy in countries such as the United Kingdom. Our arrival on these shores was concurrent with communities like the West Indians and Caribbeans, and we were all of us poor when we first arrived. Now, Sikhs are largely middle class, whereas most Afro-Caribbeans are still working class. But our ascent was very quick, too quick for us to discard our poor persons' mentality. Oscar Wilde once said "There is only one class in the community that thinks more about money than the rich, and that is the poor."

Most of our grandparents and parents were born into relative poverty. My parents both used to live in a single room with the entirety of their respective families. My parents have done well for themselves now but they still have the mentality of poor people, if you know what I mean, the same that they evolved during their most formative years. It is only to be expected therefore that their greatest concern in life is the accumulation of wealth, and that they are incapable of seeing that their children (born into some wealth already, and so less concerned with its accumulation) could want anything but the same.

It may have something to do with our parents and grandparents. The Sikhs advanced very quickly up the social hierarchy in countries such as the United Kingdom. Our arrival on these shores was concurrent with communities like the West Indians and Caribbeans, and we were all of us poor when we first arrived. Now, Sikhs are largely middle class, whereas most Afro-Caribbeans are still working class. But our ascent was very quick, too quick for us to discard our poor persons' mentality. Oscar Wilde once said "There is only one class in the community that thinks more about money than the rich, and that is the poor."

Most of our grandparents and parents were born into relative poverty. My parents both used to live in a single room with the entirety of their respective families. My parents have done well for themselves now but they still have the mentality of poor people, if you know what I mean, the same that they evolved during their most formative years. It is only to be expected therefore that their greatest concern in life is the accumulation of wealth, and that they are incapable of seeing that their children (born into some wealth already, and so less concerned with its accumulation) could want anything but the same.

It's like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. They are still at the bottom of the pyramid.

Like they say ,"You can the man out of the ghetto but you cannot get the ghetto out of the man" but replace ghetto with pind.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played Rugby for years and been one of the bigger guys amongst my whole team, my job was to break the opposition's defensive line, basically I was the battering ram. I don't think we're physically inferior to any other race. In the times of the Guru's, Sikhs were huge, very physically strong soldiers.

Look at this page:

http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-classic-in-praise-of-sikhs-the-coolest-warrior-tribe-around/

Here is a quote from down the page: (censoring the profanity)

"I’ve read Brit officers’ accounts of that battle, and they say something you get in all accounts of the Sikh: how big and strong the **stards are. The Brits said they felt like children beside the Sikh horsemen, and there’s really funny picture of a white officer surrounded by Sikh soldiers, looking like a pasty little midget with his bodyguards."

There are physically strong Sikhs out there but not as many as before.

Why do you think we aren't as physically big as we use to be?

We live in western countries. As such

we eat western food

Listen to western music

Talk western languages

Have western morals

Basically, we've become coconuts.

Dhobi da <banned word filter activated>, na ghar ka, na ghat ka