How To Tell Mum I Want To Wear A Pagh? (Haircut->Pagh)

Guest Lakhvir

Guest Lakhvir

WJKK WJKF,

I am a 22 year old haircutted Sikh in the UK. All my life I've been haircutted, but I've always had a big interest in Sikhi from a young age and have always personally wanted to at some point in my life wear a pagh. I've been dating a girl too who I intend to marry but cannot do so until I wear a pagh, so of course this has naturally pushed me to make a decision to wear a pagh soon. However I don't know how I should tell my family because I'm so sure they're against it :/

Having completed university and having a job ready in August, I really haven't done anything wrong in my life( i don't drink or smoke). My father used to wear a pagh, however my parents are divorced and we don't talk to father or his side of the family. I don't know how I would tell my family I want to wear a pagh because hardly anybody in my close family wears one, and just generally my mum and sisters opinion on those who wear paghs is not positive. Mom always worries that I will get brainwashed into religion or become a terrorist(things like 1984 <banned word filter activated>). She worries that I'll be targeted and won't find a job etc because of the perception of people who wear turbans. My sister doesn't like them either, she always says she'll never marry a pagh vala.

I've been trying to grow my beard and constantly my mum is telling me to shave etc which I hate because I want to grow it. Obviously she doesn't know why I'm growing it, but I just know if I tell them I want to wear a pagh I will get into loads of trouble :/

I find all this so stupid and annoying and I don't think I can cope anymore, and don't know how to tell her without her going mental. Please help me guys :(

You're 22. You have a degree and a job. It won't be as hard as it would be for a 16 year old.

For me I've always been kesdhari but my haircut parents always wanted me to be a simple kesdhari sikh and nothing else. But while going through pressure and just doing things I've been able to convince them to let me do anything sikhi related. Years later, now my parents both wear turbans and will be taking amrit soon. They do bhagti and are fully walking this path of spirituality.

Take one step towards your guru and he'll take 1000 towards you. Just go on with it and you'll change not just yourself but your entire family as well.

I'm happy you're making this decision.

Good luck, stay chardi kala. You're a blessed soul.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ।। ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ ।।